Westman Timeline Pt. I
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:40:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Westman Timeline Pt. I
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 40
Author Topic: Westman Timeline Pt. I  (Read 185005 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: January 26, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »

After that last discussion, MacMahon is my political hero (for the next couple of seconds).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »

After that last discussion, MacMahon is my political hero (for the next couple of seconds).

I kind of figured.  Wait till you hear about his views on the death penalty and gay rights (I'll give you a hint it's definitely not conservative).  If Tobin MacMahon existed in real life he would probably be a Casey Democrat (ie pro-life and pro-gun but liberal on most other issues).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2011, 09:45:28 PM »

I kind of figured.  Wait till you hear about his views on the death penalty and gay rights (I'll give you a hint it's definitely not conservative).  If Tobin MacMahon existed in real life he would probably be a Casey Democrat (ie pro-life and pro-gun but liberal on most other issues).

Well I'd rather have Bob Casey than, say, Walter Mondale or George McGovern.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2011, 07:10:43 PM »

March 11th, 1982
The steps of Capitol Hill

Scott Westman is at the podium in front of the mob of reporters.
Westman: Ladies and gentlemen, after much thought and deliberation I have decided that in the best interests of the people of the state of Montana to run for a second term in office.  During this time I believe that I have the necessary vision that will bring future success to the Democratic Party and this nation.  I do not intend on retiring in the foreseeable future.  Thank you for your time.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2011, 07:59:37 PM »

January 8th, 1982
Scott Westman's DC apartment

Scott Westman is at his apartment having a drink with his friend Republican House Representative Thad O'Connor of Maine.
Westman: Man Thad, I agree with you so much I'm wondering why you are a Republican and not one of us.
O'Connor: Whoa hold up buddy I'm not joining the Jackass Party anytime soon.
Westman: Considering that the Republican Party is full of moderate t***bags like Chafee, Rockefeller, and other annoying northeast WASP elitist statists you might as well.
O'Connor: Nevermind that your party was responsible for the New Deal and your "progressive" wing is equally annoying.
Westman laughs.
Westman: Okay good point.  Point is we both hate government expansion and want to promote a laissez faire economy.  Maybe we should start a cross party caucus for like minded individuals.
O'Connor laughs.
O'Connor: Very funny Scott.  I'm not sure my like minded colleagues would find your support of the public healthcare system acceptable.  Neither do I suspect you would find their support for a flat tax.  Let's face it you might be a classic liberal but you aren't libertarian enough to gain their approval.
Westman: Correct me if I'm wrong but who was it that endorsed me in my first Senate run?  Oh right.......it was D'Israeli, Russo and Hatfield.  Yeah, obviously your wing of the Republican Party doesn't feel comfortable enough to support me.  Point is that small government advocates in both parties need a caucus to counter the reactionary politics of the Constitution Party and the statist politics of your annoying moderates and my misguided progressives.  Not to mention those irritating "Moderate" Reform and Liberal party a**holes.
O'Connor Whatever you say Scott.  However I fear that by this time next year D'Israeli might have shifted enough in politics to make such an alliance improbable.  I remember when the guy was campaigning for bringing the Gold Standard back, abolishing the income tax, legalizing all drugs, and other radical libertarian issues.  Now he's on a crazy protectionist streak, you know the whole "legalize all hard drugs except foreign drugs and if someone is caught doing foreign drugs kill them!" phase?
Westman: I hate to sound like I'm bashing Beauregard or anything Thad but sometimes I worry about the man's mental status the way he flip flops on issues and how crazy and erratic he can get.  How the blue hell did he win the nomination anyway?
O'Connor shrugs his head.
O'Connor: Hell I don't know.  Maybe people got tired of him running every four years and finally decided "hell, if we nominate him this year maybe he'll stop running in the future".  Of course we failed....miserably.  It doesn't help us that he actually was neck in neck with Crane the whole time.  That means he will have a lot of motivation to run again in two years........Jaysus.
Westman: Well I'm not running for President in '84.  Hell I probably won't run in '88.  I have people all the time begging me to consider another run at the presidency in the near future and I'm just like "get the f*** out man".  I mean govern a whole nation?  What sane person wants that job?
O'Connor: Egotists I guess.
Westman: You see the thing is that if I weren't unsure about Beau's mental status I would've voted for him easily.  Promising Reagan I wouldn't vote Republican in '80 was one of the toughest promises I ever made....but I fear that D'Israeli in the White House with his erratic behavior would lead to disaster.  I mean would you like to have a man like that withe nuclear football?  What if he gets pissed off?  He might wipe out the southeastern US!
O'Connor: Yes I can understand your fears, even if they were overblown by the media.  The problem is that Beau just doesn't understand that there is a difference between having strong beliefs and being batsh*t about them.  Kind of sad really because if he had a filter in his brain and reservations about joining a Satanic cult we would've won.
Westman: Very special case is he.  Nonetheless I'm glad to have a President Phil Crane.  He seems to be a very levelheaded and pragmatic individual, considering his party.
O'Connor: WIth the way things are going I see Phil coming back to the GOP by 1984 man.  Those Constitution Congressmen can't stand him.  If Phil can't get along with the Constitution Party it's going to lead to disaster for both him and the Constitution Party.
Westman: Which is great news for us am I right?!
O'Connor puts down his Miller Lite before speaking.
O'Connor: I guess.  It's just really kind of sad though if it weren't for Beauregard running that Crane would probably be the Republican President right now with solid majorities working to push forth a laissez faire agenda.
Westman: Uh hello?
O'Connor: Well I mean he seems to be doing good but he would be doing quite a bit better.  No offense Scott but a 39.85% tax bracket on the upper class wasn't the ideal vision that Republican libertarians/conservatives envisioned with Phil Crane.  We expected a tax bracket along the lines of 25%, quite a bit lower.  Instead now we are checked on that by liberal Democrats on the Left who are against low taxes and by protectionist Constitution members who are against low tariffs.  You come in with a tax cut bill that somehow alienates Constitution members from their own agenda by putting in a tariff reduction clause?  Tell me why don't I think you had sincere motives by pushing that through.
Scott Westman puts his glass on the low table between the two men before getting up and facing the wall.
Westman: I like Phil Crane a lot Thad, he's a great man.  However, he dealt his card by going in with those Constitution nativist nutjobs in '80.  As a result of his allegiance with our least favorite Cousin Its the nativist protectionist labor union lobby gained more power than any of us thought they would in 1980.  You see Thad, these "Buy American" activist groups are a bigger threat to America than any tax increase or social welfare program could.  I believe in free trade, that is one of the reasons why I joined the Democratic Party.  These Know Nothing politicians had so much momentum coming into office all they had to do was to promise a tax cut to the upper brackets before throwing in a ridiculous tariff increase on top of that.  Knowing this I took it upon my duty to gain the trust of Phil Crane to push forth my own tax cut bill with a tariff reduction clause built in to pre-empt the much belayed tax cut being prepared by Constitution Party members.  Already I have pushed forth legislation that has driven a huge divide between the President and his own fellow party members, and I intend to capitalize fully on it.  Nothing is deadlier than a divided party come mid term elections.  Protectionism is a disease......AND I'M THE CURE.
O'Connor: Wow.....you are one devious little bastard y'know that?
Westman gives a powerful laugh.
Westman: I know what I want and I know how to get it.  By the 1984 election the Constitution Party will already be a footnote in the history books.  Decades from now historians will talk about how the sudden success of the Constitution Party came to a tragic end thanks to the efforts of one Scott Westman.  By 1984 Phil Crane will either be a restored member of the GOP, an independent, or go to the gates of Hell with his moron party mates.
MWAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2011, 08:16:16 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2011, 08:18:46 PM by Kirk & Madsen 101 »

The Progressive Democrat Newsletter
April 1982:

Front Page: Primary Westman!
By Anthony L. Deidus:

Picture of Scott Westman wearing a "Down with the Air Traffic Control Unions" T-shirt, from April 1981

Over the past few years progressivism has suffered a few big setbacks.  One of the worst of these setbacks is the emergence of so-called "liberal" Democrats like Scott Westman.  Over the past year Scott Westman has become the #1 enemy of unions after he publicly told President Crane that he should fire the air traffic control workers who went on strike.  Other positions of Westman, such as his strong support of free trade at the cost of the American worker and lowered tax rates on billionaires, make him an unprogressive and unDemocratic politician.
Yet Scott Westman is not only in office as a United States Senator, he is a prominent member of the Democratic Party.  How such a staunch opponent of the American worker got to be elected into the party of Roosevelt and Truman is hard to understand.  At least his conservative grandfather, late New York Senator William Westman, stayed out of the affairs of Union workers while in Senate.  Scott Westman, however, has not only taken an active stand against dye in the wool Democratic policies he has done so with the backing of our political enemies: Senate majority leader Mark Hatfield and President Phil Crane.  Unlike his previous political ads portrayed him Scott Westman isn't an "independent voice for the people he represents", instead he is a political whore for multinational corporations and multibillionaires who aren't willing to give even a cent to those in need.
His latest legislations: the Economic "Recovery" Act of 1981 and the Energy Deregulation Bill are full testament to his sympathies to greedy rich fatcats and corporate Boss Tweeds.
Let me not mince words here: This man isn't a freedom fighter.  He's a T-R-A-I-T-O-R.
And you know what happens to traitors?  They are disposed of.
So please Democrats of Montana this June dispose of the traitor Senator Scott Westman at the ballot box before he destroys our party any further with his pro-greed rhetoric and anti-worker politics.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #181 on: January 27, 2011, 08:46:12 PM »

Waiting for the 1984 election. Grin I wonder what'll happen then, and if Westman will get re-elected in 1982. It'd be cool to see him take Paul Tsongas/Jerry Brown's place in the 1992 election, or even win the nomination.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #182 on: January 27, 2011, 09:37:30 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2011, 10:00:16 PM by Kirk & Madsen 101 »

The Montana Democrat
April Newsletter
Front Page: Defending Westman
By Gerald R. McHale:

Shows picture of Scott Westman holding up a sign that says "Defend Individuality!  Oppose Prop. 5!"

Over the past year our Senator Scott Westman has proven to be a very divisive figure even within his own party.  Already there have been scathing criticisms leveled at him by various Democratic organizations, most of them pro-labor, for his support of President Crane's firing of the air traffic control union workers as well as his recent tax reform legislation.
Now I don't agree with Westman on everything, his support of cuts to Social Security being one of them, but let us try to examine what has happened lately from a more detailed perspective.  First most of the criticism directed at Westman are from pro-labor Democrats, people generally opposed to the idea of Free Trade (which according to a Gallup poll is supported by a majority of Montana Democrats).  Of course they are not going to like Westman and oppose the legislation that a majority of Americans, including a majority of Democrats, supported.  Second, such scathing criticism leaves out important background information, namely that Westman's tax reform legislation was overwhelmingly opposed by Constitution Party senators.  Considering how much Constitution Party members campaigned on tax cut legislation, only to turn against it once it was proposed by a Democrat, is a major chink in the Constitution Party armor come the midterms.
Westman's tax reform would lower the upper income tax bracket to 39.85% of taxable income by 1985.  Last year the tax rate was 79.85% on some upper income individuals.  A reduction in income taxation was common sense (which Gallup studies show that over 65% of Democrats supported significant tax cuts to spur economic growth) to allow the economy room to breathe and grow.  Constitution Party proposals called for instituting a "flat tax" of 15% on all income earners (great news for upper income earners, bad news for lower income earners).  Such a change would've required that the fast food worker pay the same amount in taxes as the CEO of a large music corporation.  Constitution Party proposals also wanted to include their own tariff clause in the bill, except instead of significant tariff reductions (60% on average) on over 2,500 items tariff rates would explode (a 250% increase) on over 4,200 items.  I doubt that even the most staunch pro-labor Democrat would welcome the Constitution alternative to the pragmatic progressive tax cut legislation pushed by Senator Westman.  This pre-empt by Senator Westman to push forth a tax act opposed by a solid majority of Constitution Party members (due to the tariff clause) will do much to weaken the momentum the party had going to the 1982 midterms.
Also consider that since entering the US Senate Westman has supported a majority of the Democratic agenda regarding social issues such as gay rights, drugs, and abortion.  Scott Westman voted in favor of the "Free Body Act of 1978" which would prevent women seeking abortions in other states from getting prosecuted in their homestate.  He has also voiced support for the "Montana Freedom of Self" bill that legalized first trimester abortions on demand in Montana despite opposition from many pro-life groups and activists.  He bitterly opposed Prop. 5, which was proposed by Concerned Families of Montana that would overturn the legalization of gay civil unions that passed the Montana legislature in May of 1979 (the Proposition would ultimately fail).  His "Drug Reform Bill of 1981" passed last summer puts great limits on federal interference in state drug laws, including a provision that would require a reprimand of any federal officer who violated the law.  It is the closest federal legislation we've ever had to barring federal agencies like the DEA from interfering in state business.  He also supports amending Affirmative Action laws to be based on income level instead of race to make college education more possible for lower income high school graduates and open job opportunities for people who otherwise would work their lives in low wage jobs such as the Civil Rights Act of 1979.  Like his so-called "conservative' grandfather William Westman, Scott Westman also is a vocal supporter of Universal Healthcare funded by American tax dollars and supports slashing the Defense budget by "at least 70%" to help lower the deficit.  Did I forget to mention that he is one of the biggest advocates for alternative fuels in Congress as exhibited by his "Energy Deregulation Bill" which would convert oil subsidies to alternative fuel subsidies?
The idea that Scott Westman is a Democrat in Name Only fails hard when we consider the amount of progressive policies and ideals he supports like those listed above.  The perception that Clan Westman are economic far rightists who want to get rid of social welfare entirely is just hyperbole language perpetuated by pro-labor factions who have yet to open their minds to concepts like free trade that are in fact very progressive (no tariffs, free and open commerce between nations leading to friendship between all nations....what is more progressive than that?).  On the sum of the parts Scott Westman is not a libertarian reactionary DINO stuck in the 1800s.....he is probably one of the most "progressive" (in the truest sense of the word) Democrats in the US Senate.
If we consider the ultimate goal to be to stop the Constitution Party agenda Scott Westman is not a traitor or a DINO, but rather a modern day political Sun Tzu who is slowly but surely turning the Constitution Party against their own agenda and their own president.  He deserves a gold medal.....or six more years in the Senate.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2011, 12:49:46 AM »

September 9th, 1939
US Senate Floor
William Westman (D-NY) at the podium:

".........but now I bring your attention to a more pressing matter.  The health of the nation.  What kind of nation is this the rich man is guaranteed instant care while the poor is denied care based on his lack of finance on hand?  A blind nation is what.  Anybody can save up money for retirement, you don't need a government program for that (chorus of boos).  But the poor and weak......who's helping them?  It's not easy to be a broke man with a broke rib in this nation.
But instead of address this issue of great imperative this President has taken it upon himself, by the threat of court stacking, to enforce the so-called "Constitutionality" of this ponzi scheme?  Mister President, if you took every dollar put into this scheme known as Social Security into a national healthcare system for this nation you could give adequate care for the nation's sick and wounded!  Doesn't that mean anything to you good sir?!  Doesn't that mean anything!?  That elderly and infant born no longer fear the common cold or common injury due to lack of finance because of a truly caring government taking care of those in peril of sickness or death!!!  DOESN'T THAT MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU MISTER PRESIDENT!!!:

The next year President Roosevelt would try to propose a national government healthcare program.  Many say that William Westman's passionate argument against Social Security and it's effect on the deficit by bringing up healthcare had a part in motivating Roosevelt to bring up the topic.  However, the project would get sidetracked until the 1960's when President Percy signed legislation establishing a government financed program for elderly people over the age of 70.  And then a decade later President Reagan would sign into law the establishment of a public healthcare option.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2011, 09:16:42 AM »

Newsweek Magazine
mid May Issue
Front page: Headed West
By Timothy S. Wylick:

It wasn't that long ago when Scott Westman was thought to have no chance in hell come primary day.  But now, after a string of successful legislative accomplishments (five in all) throughout 1981 under a President and a Congress not under control by Democrats it seems that Scott Westman is enjoying an all-time high popularity.  The Montana Senator, who used to make news headlines for totally different reasons other than legislation, has proven himself able to stand toe to toe with the experienced political warriors in the US Senate.  In fact, the senior (after Max Baucus was elected in 1979, two years after Westman) senator from Montana seems to have invented a whole new style of legislation warfare.  After all, it was the long haired former anti-war protestor who crafted a tax cut bill that was almost unanimously opposed by the Constitution Party which had come to power promising to push forth tax reform legislation.  Westman insists he was crafting a bill that would maximize economic output while not exploding the deficit, but the numbers do not lie.
Over his career Westman has gained the reputation of a pretty moderate if not libertarian Democrat due to his support for free trade, lowered taxation, opposition to public unions, gun rights, and support to privatize Social Security.  For this reputation he has been frequently been attacked by pro labor and inner city progressive Democrats as a Democrat in Name Only, a title usually reserved for conservative Southern Democrats who stayed in the party after the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1956 by President Kefauver.  However, as a recent newsletter from the Montana Democrat pointed out Westman is far from a Democrat in Name Only.
In the news and media journalists usually emphasize some of the stranger points of politicians because it is more newsworthy.  This is especially true with Scott Westman.  While Scott Westman has accumulated a record of supporting tax cuts, freer trade, gun rights, and union reform he is still pretty progressive (especially for Montana) on a number of issues.  In fact Scott Westman's overall voting record score card with the American Progressive Coalition is 78%, just even with Democratic Senate Minority Whip Tobin MacMahon (D-VA) and higher than Minority Leader Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX) whose rating was 52%.  In fact Scott Westman has already got the endorsement of Pro-Choice America Foundation, Americans for Drug Reform (who had the highest score out of the US Senate), the Human Rights Campaign (who gave Westman the highest ranking out of all current US Senators in regard to the issue of LGBT rights), Green America, the Percy Foundation for Civil Rights, Americans for Free Healthcare, and numerous other progressive and left wing groups.  The only real opposition groups that have endorsed candidates against Westman (at least in the Democratic primaries) have been big labor and gun control groups.  That is it.
On the sum of things Scott Westman is at the very least more progressive than the average Democrat and more left wing than three fourths of the current US Congress.  The only reason why he has up to this day have the image of a supra libertarian Bourbon Democrat stuck in the 1800s is because of his support for deregulatory politics and some pro business growth legislation he's passed over the past five years.  In other words he's a Kennedy Democrat.  You can expect to see this very progressive side of Westman come out in the general election when he campaigns against more conservative Republican and Constitution nominees.  And thanks to voter splitting between the two (there is little difference between the Constitution and Republican parties of Montana) parties I expect Westman to pull off an upset re-election victory that otherwise would've been hard to pull off.
It seems that the effect of working his ass off last year has managed to raise Scott Westman's popularity amongst the electorate who were very willing to throw him out of office for his affair with Calpernia Weils.  Already Westman has dated a few teenaged girls (one Marci Flounders was with him BEFORE he was elected), fathered a child with reporter Laura Hennigan, dated Jodie Foster who was rumored to have been pregnant with his child until she had a miscarriage, and then he was caught in the arms of a transsexual model.  I have to wonder how a freewheeler like Westman got near the office of US Senator anyway.  Nonetheless he has proven he has the ability to rise above all the negative stories and somehow rally by the time election day comes.  With his legislative record and his relationship with Caroline Kennedy (which has been stable for a year) Scott Westman seems to be righting himself in the eyes of the electorate.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #185 on: January 28, 2011, 01:29:51 PM »

May 18th, 1982
Westman Senate Office:

Scott Westman is in the office talking to John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Jr., law student and son of the late Massachusetts Democratic Senator John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Sr., Caroline's deceased father.
Westman looks at the paper before him before looking back at John.
Westman: You got an impressive resume John, but I don't know if I can get away with hiring you for the summer.
Kennedy: Well I am the best qualified for the job aren't I?  I mean come on Scott surely they would understand!
Westman: It's just there may be a risk down the road where people will accuse me of gross nepotism because you happen to be related to Caroline.
Kennedy: She doesn't work here does she?  Where's the conflict of interest?
Westman: This could hurt you later you know.  It's not just my future reputation at stake here.  If you run, hell when you run for office in the future they will automatically connect you with that summer job you got with the guy who was dating your older sister at the time and imply that you couldn't make it on your own, that you had to babied all the way here.
Kennedy looks downtrodden.
Westman opens a drawer and pulls out a paper form.
Westman: I'll tell you what I'm going to do John.  I'm going to give you this form with my signature on it with the highest recommendations and you apply for an internship with my friend Morris Udall.  My friend Larry Watson when he came into the House of Representatives was mentored by him he is a very cool experienced Congressman who knows all the ropes in Washington.  You and him would get along just fine.  I like you John you're a good kid but there's just too much risk by having you work here.
Kennedy: I understand.
Westman gets up and extends a hand.
Westman: It's good to see you John.
The two men shake hands.  Westman watches as JFK Jr. walks out of the room.  God he's so much like his father.  Well except for the looks I guess......good thing he got it from his mother.
Westman gets back to his desk and starts reviewing papers when he hears a knock on his door.
Westman: Come in.
In walks a young woman who looked to be in her early 20's with brunette hair and pale white skin with a few freckles.  Just what I need, another Irish woman in my life.  It was at that moment that Westman suddenly felt a strong jolt through his system, almost as if he had been waiting all of his life to meet this woman.  Please God why now?!
Westman motioned for her to take a seat with his hand.
Westman: Good afternoon.  I believe you know who I am so could you please do me the honor of introducing yourself?
Nervously the young woman waves her hair back with her hand from her face before extending a shaking hand to Westman.
Maria: Oh hi Senator.....my name is Maria, Maria Cantwell.
Maria.......such a beautiful name.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #186 on: January 28, 2011, 01:52:41 PM »

May 18th, 1982 (cont.):

Westman:
So Miss Cantwell, where you from?
Maria hands him a resume.  Westman picks it up and reads it.
Westman: Oh.....Indianapolis huh?
Maria: Yup.
Westman: Cool.  Where you from South Side?
Maria: How'd you guess?
Westman: Just something about you tells me you are a South Side girl.
Maria gets a questioning look on her face.
Westman: Well I mean besides the beautiful paddy skin.
Maria smiles.
Maria: Senator you're such a charmer.
Westman: What'd you expect?  Have you ever watched the news?
Maria: I thought that was all scripted....y'know kind of like soap operas or professional wrestling?
Westman falls out of his chair laughing.
Westman:  FUNNY AND BEAUTIFUL!!!!  WHAT MORE DO I NEED!?
Maria: Excuse you sir?  I thought I was applying for an office job?
Westman: Oh right.  Of course you did.  So tell me Maria are you good at organizing files and getting people coffee?
Maria: Uh yeah I guess.
Westman pounds his right hand on the desk.
Westman: ALRIGHT YA GOT THE JOB!  CONGRATULATIONS!
Maria looks shocked.
Maria: Sir we've only talked for like two minutes how did I get the job?
Westman: Sometimes you can tell if someone's got the goods two minutes in.  And baby you got all the goods!
Maria looks confused.  Westman gets an "oh crap!" look on his face.
Westman: Uh what I meant was that you had a very confident look abouts you the whole time that told me that you were the type of person who was a quick drinker.....err thinker whose quick on her ho....toes and willing to think outside the box and I love....like that.
Maria: Thanks Senator, that's very nice of you to say.  So when do I start?
Westman: As soon as possible and please call me Scott from now on!  So are you doing anything this evening?
Maria: No, my life is pretty boring.
Westman: Great would you like to get a bite to eat so we can get to know each other better?
Maria eyes him suspiciously.
Westman: Relax my girlfriend will be coming with us.
DAMN IT!
Maria: I guess that would be fine......YES!
Maria excitedly hugs Westman.
Westman: I'll take that as a yes.  We'll come by to pick you up later.
Maria smiles.
Maria: Thanks that would be great.  See you.......Scott.
She waves goodbye to Scott and has an ecstatic look on her face.  It was that moment that Scott Westman knew there was a connection.
Damn it I'm playing with fire!!!!!!!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #187 on: January 28, 2011, 02:17:14 PM »

Later that Night
At Phil's Ristorante:

Maria Cantwell is at a table with Scott Westman, her new employer, and his girlfriend Caroline Kennedy.  When they sat down she couldn't help but notice that Caroline was giving her an implied glare the whole time.  Suddenly she spoke up.
Caroline: So Miss Cantwell how long have you been in DC?
Was that a tinge of jealousy I hear in her voice?
Maria: Please call me Maria.  I say about two weeks.
Westman: Wow really?  So was I like your first choice or something?
Caroline subtle jabs Westman in the rib.  Westman looks at her what the hell?
Maria: I got out of Miami University with a bachelor of arts degree in public administration.
Westman: Ha!  I went to college for 8 years and I got a Masters in History!  Who would've thought I would take such a lame major and become Senator?!
Caroline: Well I got an AB from Harvard University in Journalism.
That really wasn't very f***ing necessary was it Carol? Westman glared.
Westman: But why me anyway Maria?  Why not somebody like say Larry Watson?  He's young, good looking and always open to desperate interns?
Maria giggles.
Maria: Well sir to be honest I don't find Watson as interesting as I find you.  I always wanted to work for a man like yourself.  I'm so pleased to find out that you are just as charming and sweet in real life as you are on the tv.
Caroline grabs Westman's hand and interlocks their fingers before laying her head against his shoulder.  don't you dare make a move on this you hussy!
Westman: Great!
Caroline: Me and Scott have been seeing each other since last April.  I love him dearly.
Westman: Yes she's a bit of a clinger I'm afraid.
Caroline jabs Westman's foot with her high heel shoe.  Westman kisses her on the head.
Westman: Yeah she's my baby, I really really like her.  Anyway Maria about your office space.
Maria: Yeah?
Westman: Well you will have the receptionist room.
Maria: Wait a minute there is a receptionist space in your office?
Westman: Well yeah you know that room with all those film roles and other crap you saw before you entered my office?  Yeah back in the day Senator Mansfield had his own receptionist to screen people before they entered.  I'm not kidding.  You can have that room to organize your stuff.
Maria: Whoa that's great!
Westman: Also, don't put anything on your desk resembling Woodrow Wilson.
Maria: Why?
Westman: Two words: Giovanni Russo
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #188 on: January 29, 2011, 03:51:34 PM »

Primary Debate excerpt:
June 2nd, 1982

Westman:
I might not be the most dye in the wool progressive here.  Granted.  But what I promised six years ago in this Democratic Primary was that I would represent the interests of the people of Montana, not the Americans for Progressive Action group which by the way has endorsed me against these three other men and two women.  I am where I am at that because I promised results and I delivered, not because I promised to play by a blind ideological playbook once in Congress.  As a Senator of the Democratic Minority I have passed 5 pieces of legislation, three of them the most major legislation since the establishment of the Public Healthcare System.  I am doing my job to the best of my abilities all for you, not the Ideological Playbook.

Democratic Primary Results:

Scott Westman (Inc.)Sad 81.29%
Lisa Vaughn: 7.81%
Vance N. Rodgers: 4.11%
Robert L. Higgens: 3.42%
Sharon R. Loya: 2.24%
Johnny Montana: .58%
Write-in: .55%

Scott Westman is overwhelmingly renominated for US Senate.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #189 on: January 29, 2011, 04:02:59 PM »

Montana Republican Primary Results:

Mendelik T. D'Israeli:
44.51%
Robert R. Medford: 37.41%
Larry K. Dobbs: 10.85%
Michael M. Van Wryk: 5.14%
Write-in: 2.09%

Run-off:
Mendelik T. D'Israeli: 50.02%
Robert Medford: 49.98%

Montana Constitution Primary Results:

Larry R. Lowden:
37.21%
Susie K. Helmuth: 36.98%
Jason D. Styles: 20.91%
Jediah L. Namath: 3.5%
William Stryker: .81%
Write-in: .59%

Run-off:
Susie K. Helmuth: 53.12%
Jason D. Styles: 46.88%
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #190 on: January 29, 2011, 05:11:04 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2011, 01:52:23 PM by Mechaman »

Westman Lake House on Lake Flathead, MT:
June 14th, 1982

Rather:
We bring news that in the Republican Senate Primary run-off that Mendelik D'Israeli has pulled off an upset and defeated the establishment conservative favorite Robert Medford for the Republican nomination.  D'Israeli, the 39 year old libertarian Republican cousin of Wyoming Republican Senator Beauregard D'Israeli will face off against the as of yet unnamed Constitution Party candidate and incumbent Democratic US Senator Scott Westman who won the Democratic Primary on June 7th.
Westman: Sh*t!
Maria Cantwell comes back from the Kitchen.
Maria: Something wrong Scott?
Westman: Yes, this crazy f*** somehow managed to win the Republican primary and now the GOP will steal votes FROM ME INSTEAD OF THOSE DAMNED MORALISTIC PSYCHOS!
Maria puts a hand on Westman's shoulder and a finger on his mouth.
Herschelwitz: Hush.  Well if he's anything like Beauregard this should be a walk in the park.
Maria sits down next to Westman and begins massaging his back.
Westman: Somehow I doubt it.  I mean it's his cousin, not his brother.  I mean there's got to be a reason why he not only was competitive in but won the Montana GOP primary.  He has to be sane.
Herschelwitz: Didn't Beauregard somehow manage to win the GOP nomination for President despite being a lunatic fringe libertarian who in the words of Crane didn't have a "crow's ass chance in hell" of winning?
Damn it Carl, I can get nothing over you.
Westman: Give me a break here!  I hope this man is crazy at least I would have a shot.  I hope he's a radical Satanist as well.
Rather: D'Israeli is a member of the United Churches of Christ in Billings, Montana.
Westman: SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.
Herschelwitz: Look on the bright side at least he's not Catholic and lives in Butte or Missoula.
Westman: Well he could still be crazy.
Rather: D'Israeli graduated Stanford Medical School at the top of his class and later earned his Master's in Medicine and Psychology there in 1977.
Westman: OH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.
Rather: The surprise victory of Mendelik D'Israeli is bound to put a dent in the strategy of Scott Westman who had hoped to have to face a divided conservative vote between the Republican and Constitution parties.  Now he faces the threat of D'Israeli stealing the libertarian vote that he captured in 1976.  With Westman's liberal voting record D'Israeli just might be able to steal that vital voting bloc from Westman and cost him re-election.  Westman will have to rely on the votes of Montana progressives/liberals to have a victory as libertarian leaning Montanans disagree with his stance on issues like healthcare and affirmative action.
Westman: Thanks for your support Dan.
Carl turns off the tv.
Westman: Hey!  What the hell!  I was watching that.
Maria stops massaging Westman as Carl faces him.
Sh*t.....please don't let this happen now.
Herschelwitz: Listen to yourself Scott.  This isn't the Scott Westman I know.  This isn't the Scott Westman I came to work for.  This isn't the Scott Westman I shared a house with in Missoula!  What the hell is wrong with you kid?!  YOUR CAREER IS ON THE LINE!!!
Maria takes Westman's hand into hers as Carl stands in front of Westman pouting.  Carl points at Westman.
Herschelwitz: Get your sh*t together man.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #191 on: February 06, 2011, 04:43:29 PM »

Interview excerpt, January 11th, 1984:

CNN Interviewer Stephen Folbreece:
So Mr. Westman, what do you think about your chances in the primary?
Westman, a bit older and wiser, chuckles.
Westman: Well it isn't exactly Nuclear Physics is it?  I mean I ran in this kind of race before I know what is expected of me.
Folbreece: But don't you think it's a little early to y'know seek this office?
Westman: I'm only young once Stephen.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #192 on: February 06, 2011, 05:47:48 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2011, 05:51:39 PM by The REAL original Moderate Hero »

July 5th, 1982:

This is CBS News at Six O'Clock
Rather:
Good evening America this is Dan Rather.  Since the Montana primaries were over a few weeks ago there has been very little chatter from either the Democratic incumbent Scott Westman's campaign office or that of Republican candidate Mendelik D'Israeli.  Constitution candidate Susie K. Helmuth, a self described "family rights" activist and moral crusader, has been very busy slamming both candidates.  Of note she has attacked what she calls D'Israeli's "pseudo pro-life views" as "lukewarm" and "full of nothing but compromise".  Another ad has slammed D'Israeli's supposed link to the United Church of Christ, a protestant denomination, saying he's only in it to deflect the controversy of his cousin, former Republican Presidential candidate and current Wyoming US Senator Beauregard D'Israeli" is a member of the Satanist Church.  But D'Israeli isn't the only one who is victim to the crazy-the Constitution Party's candidate.  Over the past few days the Helmuth campaign has launched a series of brutal attack ads on Scott Westman's lifestyle and character.  In these ads Ms. Helmuth focuses entirely on the romantic history of Scott Westman and even makes strong implications about his relationship with his own daughter.  Neither the Westman Campaign nor the D'Israeli campaign have addressed these ads.  Here are the ads:

"Pro-life" or "Pro-fraud"?
Radio Ad
A few weeks ago Mendelik D'Israeli won the Republican Primary for the US Senate.  Amongst one of his stated views is that he is pro-life and defends the right to life of the unborn.  This is an utter falsehood.  One look at D'Israeli's campaign brochure reveals that D'Israeli opposes a Constitutional Amendment banning abortion.  Claiming to be in favor of "State's Rights" on the matter is a weak cop out for the millions that have been silenced.  In other words, D'Israeli supports the status quo of allowing women to cross state lines to kill their children.

Vote for real pro-life values, not more of the same.
Vote Helmuth.

"Church of Christ or Church of Fake?"
TV Ad with pictures of Mendelik D'Israeli and his cousin Beauregard D'Israeli
Republican candidate Mendelik D'Israeli claims to be a member of the United Churches of Christ in Billings, Montana.  However a look at his attendance record of the past few weeks has revealed that he hasn't even been to church for the past month and has only been to Wednesday Night fellowship only 4 times.......in the last 3 years!  Further investigation reveals that D'Israeli only joined the United Church of Christ in Billings after his cousin, Beauregard D'Israeli, THE SATANIST ran for President on the Republican Party, the party that D'Israeli is a member of.  Isn't the timing a little odd to you?  Like D'Israeli never thought of joining a church until his cousin ran for president?  Seems like someone is playing craps with Montana's traditional values.

Vote for real traditional values, vote for Susie Melmuth

"What is up with Scott Westman?"
TV Ad (with pictures of Westman drinking various German and Irish beers as well as a picture of Scott Westman with a teenage girl sitting on his lap at some kind of Christmas party)
Also in Radio Ad format
Six years ago the people of Montana made a grave mistake: it elected Scott Westman, an admitted child molester, pedophile, druggie, alcoholic, and hippie as its United States Senator.  How this mistake happened no one really remembers, and it's gotten much worse.  Ever since entering Congress Westman has gone through women, and girls, left and right like it's going out of style.  It is rumored he even told his girlfriend Jodie Foster to get an abortion in 1980 because he didn't want the hassle of fatherhood.  Surely a man such as this, who treats women like disposable pieces of meat and hates the idea of fatherhood to the point of supporting the murder of unborn children belongs in a jail, much less the United States Senate.  When it comes to Westman, the only choice is for the voters to go East.

Stop going West, vote for Susie Helmuth.

"Family Values, According to Scott Westman:"
TV Ad with picture of Brea Westman sitting on Scott Westman's lap giving him a kiss on the cheek, followed by footage of Westman with his arm around Brea with a beer in hand.
To most this picture looks like an innocent display of father-daughter affection.  However, to those who have followed the news, read the papers and Newsweek Magazine this is another day in the too close for comfort relationship between Scott Westman and his 18 year old daughter Brea.  Westman's cronies will claim that child protection agencies are being paranoid when they suggest that Westman loves his girl....I mean daughter a little too much.  Maybe he's right....let's see what Westman himself has to say about that last year at this St. Patrick's Day party at Happy Clam Resort in Virginia Beach, Virgina:
Patron: So Scotty, what have you and this pretty lil lady been doing all day?
Westman: Well (moves his hand down to Brea's lower back)........we just laid down on the couch and cuddled all day while watching old Star Trek episodes.
Attention "Scotty": cuddling with your daughter is fine and dandy when she's 6, not when she's practically an adult.  It's time to beam yourself down, "Scotty".

Don't go West on Family Values, vote for Helmuth

Camera cuts back to Dan Rather laughing his head off.  After five seconds he notices the light is on and stops.
Rather: Oh right.  Anyway, press representatives from the D'Israeli camp replied with "no comment" and representatives from the Westman camp said there was "nothing to see".

If the Montana Election were held today who would you vote for:
Scott Westman (D): 32.10%
Mendelik D'Israeli (R): 31.98%
Susie K. Helmuth (C): 24.12%
Undecided: 11.8%

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #193 on: February 08, 2011, 08:03:49 AM »

I love close races.

Good piece of work as usual, dude.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #194 on: February 08, 2011, 06:01:22 PM »

Not entirely.

I am pro-life and pro gun rights (granted I consider those libertarian positions but they are also generally considered social conservative positions) but I found a lot of social conservative rhetoric on some issues (like gay rights, flag burning, death penalty off the top of my head) to be disagreeable.

The Constitution Party is just unlucky to have a crazy running in the Montana election.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #195 on: February 08, 2011, 06:12:15 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2011, 06:53:22 PM by Former MidEast Assemblyman and elder statesman Cathcon »

Not entirely.

I am pro-life and pro gun rights (granted I consider those libertarian positions but they are also generally considered social conservative positions) but I found a lot of social conservative rhetoric on some issues (like gay rights, flag burning, death penalty off the top of my head) to be disagreeable.

Okay.
From my point of view it seemed that on this forum Libertarians tend to dump on social conservatives a lot (ever read the "Taking Murica Back!" thread?).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, I can't say much for the Democrats and Republicans either. Wink
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2011, 06:39:42 PM »

Not entirely.

Okay.
From my point of view it seemed that on this forum Libertarians tend to dump on social conservatives a lot (ever read the "Taking Murica Back!" thread?).

The Constitution Party is just unlucky to have a crazy running in the Montana election.
[/quote]

Well, I can't say much for the Democrats and Republicans either. Wink
[/quote]

LOL that's true.
Yeah, I actually had a hand in the "Taking Murica Back!" thread but as you know by now I'm almost virtually never serious (unless it's lecturing hacks on how their party wasn't really that much more moral superior back in the day).  Back then I was a raving pro-choicer so I guess I was a little more agressive against social conservatives.  But you know what?  A lot of the things I disagree with them on have very little chances of succeeding so if they are non-interventionist I don't take as much time to bash them as I used to (hell I would've supported protectionist Buchanan over HW Bush in '92 simply because the former was anti-interventionist).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #197 on: February 08, 2011, 07:42:21 PM »

July 6th, 1982
Butte, Montana:

Progressive activist Brian Lovato is addressing an audience of the associated press.
Lovato: It has become apparent to me, especially over the past year and a half, that our incumbent Senator Scott Westman does not represent neither the traditional Democratic agenda nor that of the people of Montana.  What we elected was a supposed "independent" who turned out to be a pretty looking "Democratic" tool for our corporatist President.  No one in recent memory has done as much damage to the labor movement than Scott Westman, neither Democrat, Republican, or Constitution Party member.  Westman's dismal record on the environment, vocally opposing raising taxes on Big Oil, is also a black mark on his record.
Westman campaigned on taking back the people's voice during his first run, now he has done everything he can to stifle the people's interest.
That is why today I declare my candidacy for the US Senate seat in Montana.  It is a little late, I know, but it's better late than never.

Westman is watching the news on tv.  He throws the remote across the room.
Westman: SH*T! SH*T! SH*T!

July 8th, 1982
Billings, Montana:

Conservative Activist David P. Walters is addressing a gathering of the joint press corps:
Walters: Like Mister Lovato I too find myself too disillusioned with the current slate of candidates.  Mrs. Helmuth's campaign use of tactics is abominable and shouldn't be applauded by any conservative.  Also I think I can speak for many conservatives here when I say that protectionism is a statist ideology that I have  no intention of following.
(thunderous applause)
I knew Mister Westman in college, he has a good heart, he is a kind and caring man.  However his position on the issues is just plain wrong.  He doesn't understand how vital a strong military is to this nation, he doesn't understand that by supporting abortion rights he is allowing the murder of millions of the unborn, he doesn't understand that as a public official he has a duty to set an example in his personal life as well as his professional life.  I respect Scott Westman, but his vision is just wrong for this nation.
Like I respect Scott Westman I also respect Mendelik D'Israeli, however like Scott Westman he just doesn't understand that a small but strong government is needed to protect American interests both here and abroad.  This race needs a true conservative, a true supporter of the free market, and a strong advocate of the defense of this nation to run.
That is why I, David P. Walters, have declared my candidacy to run on my own Montana Conservative ticket.

Herschelwitz: Crap.
Westman: Why so downtrodden Carl?  If anything this disadvantages Helmuth and D'Israeli.
Herschelwitz: I guess, but what church did Walters go to?
Westman: Oh he went to Saint Peter's Roman Catholic Church of Missoul.....oh sh*t.
Herschelwitz: The Catholic vote is what saved your ass six years ago man.  In 1980 the Democratic ticket barely won the Catholic vote in this state against the friggin Constitution ticket.  Considering how pro-life many Catholics are with your pro-choice record Walters could end up being a huge spoiler for us.
Westman: Well that kind of sucks.  I can't believe I have to play demographic politics yet again to seal this one.
Herschelwitz: It's the price of doing business I guess.  Just emphasize your free market positions and you should do fine.  Since there hasn't been anything about our healthcare system lately you can easily distance yourself from that.

If the Montana US Senate Race were held today who would you vote for?Sad

Scott Westman (Democratic): 24.71%
Mendelik D'Israeli (Republican): 24.81%
Susie K. Helmuth (Constitution): 17.81%
Brian Lovato (Independent): 16.49%
David P. Walters (Conservative): 13.67%
Undecided/Other: 2.51%
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #198 on: February 08, 2011, 09:37:17 PM »

Go Walters!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #199 on: February 08, 2011, 10:57:41 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2011, 11:17:53 PM by The REAL original Moderate Hero »

This is CNN News Special Edition with Walter Cronkite
11:10 PM (Eastern)
July 15th, 1982:

Cronkite:
Good evening America.  This is Walter Cronkite bringing you another "Special Edition" episode by CNN.  I can tell you quite bluntly that if it weren't for the events of the past few years this program would not have been possible.  We have seen many great precedents set and broke, among those being the election of our nation's first third party president and the meteoric rise of the Constitution Party.  As of now the United States Congress recognizes not just two but five parties in the United States Congress.  After this next election it could recognize eight or nine.
The most interesting of these races is the Montana US Senate race where incumbent Democratic Senator Scott Westman faces 11 challengers, four of those polling over 10% each.  In addition to the Constitution and Republican nominees that are present in most races around the country Westman also faces a newly created ticket from the Montana Conservative Party, which models itself after what it calls "Goldwater Inspired conservatism", and progressive Independent Brian Lovato.  The parties and candidates appearing on ballot in the Montana election are:

Incumbent US Senator Scott Westman of Missoula, Montana; Democratic Party
Billings based psychiatrist Mendelik D'Israeli, Republican Party
Moral activist Susie K. Helmuth of Hysham, Montana; Constitution Party
Butte, Montana based progressive labor activist Brian Lovato, Independent
Missoula based pro-life activist David P. Walters, Conservative Party
Anaconda based socialist author Fidel Giuseppe, Peace and Solidarity Party
Great Falls based historian Andrew T. Jefferson, Modern Democratic-Republican Party
Bozeman based environmentalist Jacob R. Greeley, Green Party
Circle based preacher Benjamin L. Barnes, Prohibition Party
Missoula based plant grower Michael J. Stots, Marijuana Party
Helena based strip club owner John Shun, Anti-Moralfag Party
Ronald D. Murphy of Kalispell, Billion Dollar Baby Party

So we have US Senate election with 12 reported tickets running with write-ins available.  This is bound to be one of the most interesting elections of this season.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies