Westman Timeline Pt. I
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:25:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Westman Timeline Pt. I
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 40
Author Topic: Westman Timeline Pt. I  (Read 185007 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: December 21, 2011, 07:14:18 PM »

All I want is to make sure this doesn't end. It's one of the things I most enjoy reading on this or any other website and my whole interest is to protect it and hope that Mecha isn't put off on it now.

It will continue........as soon as I'm off mod review.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #776 on: December 22, 2011, 04:28:39 PM »

I thank Mechaman for the Xmas gift of his kind words.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #777 on: December 23, 2011, 09:12:26 PM »

I haven't read a buncha this in the last few weeks, to be honest, thanks largely to the fact that whenever I popped in, it was some soap operay type conversation. You really could write something like that. Maybe a West Wing type series (having never seen West Wing)? Tongue
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #778 on: December 24, 2011, 12:07:37 AM »
« Edited: December 24, 2011, 07:27:28 AM by Staff Sergeant Sean Dignam »

A few hours later
Around.......meh 7:45 in the morning or so:

Oh Jesus, my head hurts.
Westman pops a couple of tylenol into his mouth and stops off at the water fountain to take a drink.  He looks over at the door number (716) and opens the door.  He enters the room with some flowers that he puts next to the bed.  He looks over at the nurse and nods.  She leaves the room as he sits alone with his close friend.
Westman: Well Larry........buddy if you can hear me you better wake up pretty quick man.  It's August man.  You got less than three months to campaign now.  Schweiker, or whatever his name is, is really gaining ground man.
No Response.
Westman: Worse yet I fear Robert Casey will be hogging the spotlight.  You wouldn't want that would you?
No Response.
Westman: You know we do have a lot to talk about.  However, it's becoming apparent lately that the opponents are looking for any opening to skewer House Westman.  So, as soon as possible I'm going to have to dismiss this subject.
No Response.
Westman: YOu know, they'll probably harass my ass about the financial stuff for months.  And the sex stuff, well I don't think people care about that too much anymore.  It seemed to be crazy stuff the Conservatives pulled out to gain major momentum.
No Response.
Westman: Oh Mendelik?  Well he's just doing what any faithful party person would do.  I can't really hold that against him, nor ask him to resign.  Otherwise I would probably be forced to elect a full on Union hactivist as Lieutenant Governor.
No Response.
Westman: I know I know you would.  However, I think I would prefer you over here than over there.  Not like this of course (chuckles).  Well buddy, I don't have much more to say except that I hope you get better soon enough and that you return my Babe Ruth baseball card.
No Response.
Westman: Come on man!  It's a mint condition!  MINT CONDITION!  You have to give it back!
No Response.
Westman: (chuckles) Yeah, I guess you're right.  You can keep as long as you like.  Compared to what I took from you.......
Caroline looks down at her watch.
Caroline: Hon.....we should go.
Westman: Well, looks like my number is being called.  I'm sorry I don't have enough time to say all that has to be said.  Just know that the Westman family is here for you.  You and your family.  Rest well my friend.
Westman leans forward and delivers a brotherly kiss to Larry Watson's face.
A photographer from CNN News shoots a photo of it.

Two weeks later, the picture, entitled "A Brotherly Exchange" would make CNN News photo of the week.  The photo, showing an affectionate Westman with an unconscious Watson, would portray a much different image of the two than what had been portrayed in previous weeks.  The image would calm the electorate and lead to a rise in approval for Scott Westman.  Westman would never comment on the photo in public even when tasked.  It is believed that the "Brotherly Exchange" moment was a watershed in Scott Westman's life.............
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #779 on: December 24, 2011, 12:17:51 AM »

Heh. I'm gonna have to read back & see how Watson got in the coma. He better return the baseball card soon.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #780 on: December 24, 2011, 07:28:39 AM »

Heh. I'm gonna have to read back & see how Watson got in the coma. He better return the baseball card soon.

My bad he's just unconscious from the cardiac arrest he had earlier.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #781 on: December 29, 2011, 10:42:38 AM »

Former US Senator Mo Udall
Interview August 8th, 1994:

Of course I consider the 1980's to be a pivotal turning point in Democratic Party history.  Of course, the party was at it's weakest point since the 1920's, but we were rapidly evolving into a new machine.  The adoption of Social Security, Civil Rights, Universal Healthcare, a non-interventionist foreign policy, Second Amendment rights, elimination of pay discrimination based on gender, race, and orientation, etc. puts us in a weird spot as a party.  Many of us had come to realize that the Democratic Party truly had to be a big tent party to succeed.  We couldn't force certain issues on our members.  However, there was an undercurrent that we had that was popular with the American people.  The undercurrent of anti-elitism.  In a sense it feels like the Democratic Party, learning it's lessons from the 1970's, learned what it truly meant to stick to it's root principles.  We had to prove ourselves to stand up for the American people against the greedy imperialist gun grabbing opportunistic agenda of the Republican elites while also standing up for them against the social darwinistic ideology of the Conservatives.
Though it wasn't apparent in the '80s, this strategy would have some dividends in the future.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #782 on: December 30, 2011, 09:10:51 PM »

August 14th, 1986
CNN News:

This is CNN News.

After days of no response from Montana Governor Scott Westman, the Governor has turned over all of his financial data to an independent audit team to check for any possible wrongdoing.  The Governor insists that there is no illegitimate use of finances and that critics are blowing the LFW account out of proportions.

Video of Scott Westman on a platform addressing the press about the whole LauraHall:

Westman: Listen, this whole issue isn't going to solve the problems facing Montanans.  I am not a crook.  A look at the financials from my accounting staff will show that there is no manipulation going on in the Westman camp.  All that has happened in the past week is that my friend Larry Watson overreacted to a photo of me and his wife on St. Patrick's Day 1983.  There is nothing for you to see, or hear, about this episode that at all has to do with the lives of the people of this state.  Despite the rumors I am happily married to Caroline and will continue to be for some time.  That is all.

Governor's Westman's insistence on putting this episode aside for the good of the state has met lukewarm results.  Many seem unimpressed, thinking that Westman is showing a desperation in regards to this issue to avoid it as much as possible because of possible negative consequences.  A large number, however, claim that the latest scandals hurts the Montana electorate more than Westman due to side stepping the important issues.  A recent PPP poll agrees as 64% of Americans now agree that personal issues often get in the way of issues that really matter.  Such numbers, for free-wheelin' politicians like Scott Westman, might be great news.

This has been CNN News.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #783 on: December 31, 2011, 09:21:05 AM »

September 7th, 1986
Governor Westman Appearance in Kalispell:

Scott Westman in on a podium in front of a large crowd in Kalispell.
Westman It's becoming apparent by the day that this state has some major problems.  It is also apparent, given the economic crisis that we find ourselves in, that this administration should rededicate ourselves to the principles of laissez-faire.  Therefore I shall leave the Green Montana program on the side until we get ourselves out of this current recession.  It should also be noted tha-
Carl Herschelwitz walks up to Westman and whispers in his ear.  A look of great dread comes over his face as he hears the news.
Westman: My god.  Please tell me you're joking.  Please Carl please tell me this is one huge joke!
People in the front overhearing the words, get worried.
Herschelwitz: It came up just a few minutes ago on the news (chokes up).  My god...I can't believe it's happened.
Westman gets back on the podium and addresses the audience.
Westman: Due to recent events that have developed in the past few minutes I must respectfully end this appearance.  I would suggest that if you have any loved ones out there you be sure to tell them how much they mean to you as soon as you can.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #784 on: December 31, 2011, 09:35:57 AM »

A few minutes earlier
This is CNN Breaking News coming in from Boston:

We have received disturbing news from Manhattan.  Once considered the high spot of American society, the New York borough of Manhattan has been utterly destroyed in the wake of the worst terrorist attack in American history.  Approximately 13 kilotons of TNT, and untold thousands dead, as a result of the first nuclear attack on US soil.  Those responsible are unknown at this time, but what is known is that the nuclear device was planted and not an airborne bomb.  The attack was very likely coordinated by an underground group with the means to nuclear weaponry.  As of this broadcast the US Government is investigating various groups of terror, both local and foreign, who have motivation to do this.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #785 on: December 31, 2011, 10:47:54 AM »

Scott Westman
Personal Journal
September 8th, 1986

It is still yet unknown how many died yesterday.  However, it is without a doubt the worst day in American history.  At least half a million Americans vanished in an instant of atomic fire.  Many estimate that over 3 million New Yorkers now have radiation sickness from the fallout of the blast.  There are reports of many, many orphans now parentless from the disaster.
Never before has America been so helpless.....yet so strong.
It is this time that we can come together and show the world the true spirit of the American character, a character that doesn't wither even in the face of unbelievable sorrow.

America will rise again.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #786 on: December 31, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »

Holy sh**t!

Have you ever read "Watchmen"? I hope it ends up being that monster, though you'd be ten months too late...
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #787 on: December 31, 2011, 02:27:20 PM »

Holy sh**t!

Have you ever read "Watchmen"? I hope it ends up being that monster, though you'd be ten months too late...

Yeah.  I have the three hour extended directors cut blu-ray version.
It is EPIC.

Nah, as alternate as this reality is I don't think people have superpowers.
It's "too sci-fi"!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #788 on: December 31, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »

You ever read the actual novel? It's quite different, & this hugeass monster is teleported to NY. Summary's on wikipedia.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #789 on: January 04, 2012, 07:35:04 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2012, 07:49:14 PM by Staff Sergeant Sean Dignam »

"The events of September 7th, 1986 would test the resolve of the American people.  The deaths of over a million Americans that day, 878,000 in New York and 428,000 in Florida, would be a very traumatic day for many Americans.  The barbarities of that day, along with the great treachery of those involved weeks later, would arouse a deepened sense of Americanism amongst many communities in the United States."

-Secretary of Defense William Buckley
August 8th, 1988
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #790 on: January 04, 2012, 07:44:30 PM »

In a Darkened Room:

I knew what I had to do.  It wasn't an easy task.  Putting the fate of millions away with a couple of briefcases.  But the money was good.
The bombs, which would kill around 1.3 million people, a lot of those mine own people, sat heavily on my heart.  But the money was good.
I have no more home, I have no more family.  They all died a long time ago.  I have no more human connection to this world.  Because the money is good.
So damn me.  Damn me because of the absence of sympathy.  Damn me because I no longer have a human care for this world.  Unless the money is good.
And the plans for world domination by our cartel is well under way.  We don't need any more violence to achieve our aims now.
Because unlike most terrorists, the only politics we ever gave half a damn about is the politics of business and money.  And there is no business like blood business.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #791 on: January 04, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »

"Who the hell could've done this?"

Asked a stammering Phil Crane to his cabinet.
Secretary of Defense William Buckley, who was just regaining his composure after witnessing his home city burnt to ashes in atomic fire, speaks up.
Buckley: We're working up a list.  There are a few possibilities.  However the biggest possibility seems to be Richard Callahan.
The room goes silent.
Crane, noticing the silence, speaks up.
Crane: Richard Callahan!?  I know the man is a crazy bastard....BUT THIS?!
Attorney General Jay Rockefeller speaks up.
Rockefeller: Yes, but he has the means and the wealth to pull off such an attack.  The Callahan Crime Syndicate is beyond organized.  This is an empire that controls an estimated 25% of the world's overall illegal drug trade.  Richard Callahan has entire governments under his influence.  Hell, as we speak he is probably lounging in a $8 million mansion the Brazilian government built him in Rio or how about the $12 million one that the Argentine government built him, using taxpayer dollars no less?  For all we know he's probably smooth talked the Russians and Chinese too, maybe even getting a few nuclear snowcone machines for all the white china and child prostitutes he sells them.
Mattingly: God I wish we could kill that f***!
Buckley: Fact of the matter is Callahan is so well funded he could probably set up an attack in such a way to implicate another power.  Hell, those were Russian nuclear devices we uncovered today in Tulsa and Dallas!  We are lucky as f*** that whoever set those devices forgot to account for time zone changes.
Mattingly: (laughs) So wait, are you telling me that the f*** who set off those explosive devices was an amateur?  A F***IN AMATEUR?
Buckley: More than likely they split up the duties.  They had one guy do the east coast, another do the Central Time Zone area, and then another guy do the Mountain area and the Pacific Coast.  However did this was very methodical and there is an obvious pattern.  For instance....why the hell would somebody blow up Miami but completely ignore Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh?  Why target Tulsa, Oklahoma but not Kansas City?  This seems like a very well thought out attack that had a certain non-political factor thrown in.  A lot of these cities are financial havens for various industries.
Rockefeller: And considering how much power and influence the mob has in certain areas that weren't targeted it makes good sense why a mega-criminal like Callahan would target said cities.  He, and his shareholders, have a lot to gain from an attack of this magnitude  Suppose they got away with such a scheme and pinned it on say the Russians or even the Cubans..............he could probably buy this goddamn country in a decade.
Crane: I don't buy it.  Richard Callahan may be a mad man, but he isn't suicidal.  This kind of plan would be too risky even for him.  Dealing with the Russians for nuclear arms?  I'm not sure even he would want that sort of risk.
Buckley: Bastard probably would've stole said weapons.  Why don't we just ask the Ruskies if they lost any nukes.
Crane: Have you lost your damn mind?  "Excuse me Mr. Pushkin but have you lost any nuclear weapons lately?"  You think the Russians would willingly admit to that sort of sh*t!?
Buckley: Well I don't believe that there are many other terrorist groups that would willing risk the wrath of America without a proper motivation as Sir Callahan does.  He has the resources to pull this off, pin it on somebody else, and then after we have spent ourselves into oblivion fighting a massive war he comes in and bails out Chicago.  Then he bails out Boston.  Then he bails out Philadelphia.  Then he bails out Pitts-
Crane waves his hands in the air.
Crane: Alright, alright.  But how do we go about finding out his latest activities?  It isn't like it's advertised in Wall Street Journal y'know?
Buckley pulls out a wad of cash from his suit jacket.
Buckley: Everything has a price, including information.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #792 on: January 05, 2012, 11:03:12 AM »

Westman Residence:

Scott Westman is sitting on the couch reflecting on what had just happened.
Westman: Dear lord.
Herschelwitz: I just can't believe it.  A nuclear attack on the United States?  I mean did anyone ever conceive such a scenario?
Westman: With the fall of the Soviet Union in 1971?  Hell no.  Which makes Crane's bullheadedness on cutting back our nuclear stock ridiculous.
Caroline: Well, expect within a week for the hawk brigade to be dancing around saying "I told you so."
D'Israeli: Tobin's job must suck right now.  I mean I wouldn't be surprised if Warner, Chafee, or some other establishment type goes on tv waving his dick around saying "I told you so!"
Westman: The way I look at it this isn't a time to be playing politics.  People are suffering.  Rockefeller or Chafee wants to get on stage and throw the blame card it's only going to make them look like jackasses.  We are in the advantage now.  New York Republicans like Benson Rockefeller and Winfield Claypoole want to play the statist card they can at their own peril.  We are going to do things calm and controlled down here.
Westman picks up the phone.
Westman: James?  Yes this is the Governor.  Listen....I know we don't talk much but I need you to do me a huge solid on this.  Yeah, well I got a feeling, an ugly gut feeling, about a group of militants residing outside of Glasgow.
Westman: Right now I could give a damn about civil liberty discussions.  The lives of millions of Americans are in jeopardy and I need to investigate every avenue of possibility.
Westman: Well then for god's sake don't use excessive force.  Just go there, knock on the door and then ask questions.
Westman: If you have to contact CIA then do it.  I don't give a half damn right now!  These bastards could be targeting Missoula or Great Falls for all I know!  Or Billings!  Do I have to spell it out for you!
Westman slams the phone back into the receiver and then knocks a bunch of books off the counter in a fit of rage.
Westman: Bastards...........
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #793 on: January 05, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »

.....Whoa
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #794 on: January 07, 2012, 09:21:49 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2012, 09:54:44 PM by PAULTARDED »

Ideology by the States
By Atlas PM Test, naturally

Most Economically Left:
Pennsylvania
Most Economically Right: New Hampshire
Most Socially Libertarian: Oregon
Most Socially Authoritarian: Arkansas
Most Economically Centrist: Illinois
Most Socially Centrist: Texas
Most Overall Left: Minnesota
Most Overall Right: South Carolina
Most Overall Libertarian: Wyoming
Most Overall Authoritarian: West Virginia
Most Overall Centrist: Maine
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #795 on: January 07, 2012, 09:33:33 PM »

This is awesome!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #796 on: January 11, 2012, 06:00:52 PM »

The US Top Ten Cities by Population
Before September 7th, 1986:

1. New York City, New York
2. Chicago, Illinois
3. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4. Los Angeles, California
5. Miami, Florida
6. Houston, Texas
7. Kansas City, Missouri
8. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
9. Seattle, Washington
10. Denver, Colorado
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #797 on: January 11, 2012, 06:04:47 PM »

2. Chicago, Illinois
3. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4. Los Angeles, California
5. Miami, Florida
6. Houston, Texas
7. Kansas City, Missouri
9. Seattle, Washington
10. Denver, Colorado
Pittsburgh? Kansas city? Seattle? Why is LA so low? And where is Phoenix, Dallas, and San francisco?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #798 on: January 11, 2012, 06:28:54 PM »

2. Chicago, Illinois
3. Los Angeles, California
4. Miami, Florida
5. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
6. Houston, Texas
7. Kansas City, Missouri
9. Seattle, Washington
10. Denver, Colorado
Pittsburgh? Kansas city? Seattle? Why is LA so low? And where is Phoenix, Dallas, and San francisco?

Migration factors mostly.
Like IRL there is a huge wave of people who move west looking for jobs in California and other places.  However, instead of mostly headed to the coast to look for jobs the distribution is spread out throughout the mountain west.  Notably, Montana has three or four times the population it did IRL in 1986 due to the immigration of young professionals.
Looking back on Wikipedia it would take a pretty drastic event for LA to not be in the top three, so I edited the order of the cities a tid bit.
As was mentioned earlier the rest of the world is almost going to sh*t in the 70's with revolutions and civil wars popping up almost everywhere.  On top of that you have radical movements in the Mideast and India that sought to eliminate political dissidents and stifle free speech.  The result is a massive wave of immigration to parts of the Northeast that would eventually move west when there is a major recession in New England and New York.
Pittsburgh, while it does experience some decline, actually has a net population growth from the 1950's-1980's.  Lots of the immigrants, who couldn't get jobs in New York or Philadelphia, move there and start finding employment in the Green Energy industry.  Pretty much the attempts of the Democratic Party in the late 70's to beautify the city succeed beyond expectations and the Pittsburgh has about 1.8 million people living in it.  Third was too high of a spot, but I don't think fifth largest would be out of the question due to TL changes.
Kansas City becomes the commercial center of Middle America as tech startups start moving out west.  A lot of the growth is due, like most of the others, due to migration factors as people lost jobs in the Northeast and moved south and westward for jobs.  Kansas City, a place that actually needed jobs in the 60's, is America's second fastest growing major urban area (after Pittsburgh).
Seattle, again migration to the west due to the explosion of the tech and information industries and becomes known as the "hip place" for young people now days.
Personally, I didn't think that IRL 1986 Phoenix, Dallas, and San Francisco were that big.  San Francisco doesn't even make the list now days (probably because it's like really friggin small).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #799 on: January 20, 2012, 11:50:54 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2012, 11:52:26 PM by Future Moderator Mechaman »

Situation Room
September 15th, 1986:

Secretary of Defense William Buckley approaches the President with a bunch of files.
Buckley: We found the bastard.
President Phil Crane looks up speculatively.
Crane: Who?
Buckley: Callahan sir.
Attorney General Jay Rockefeller stands next to Buckley.
Rockefeller: Give the word sir and we can have Callahan in custody within six hours.
Crane: You mean we're in a position to nab Callahan?
Buckley: I know it's strange sir.  You would think that the world's biggest criminal wouldn't be hanging out in Bend, Oregon.  Especially a few days after weapons were found in Portland and Seattle.  He ought to have known he would be at the top of the list.  He has to know something at least.
Rockefeller: Callahan's behavior suggests that not only should we take him into custody, he's expecting it.  For all we know a competitor of his was behind this.  Conceivably he might have as much to gain from coming forward as we do from interrogating him.
Crane: But the warrants out for his arrest?
Buckley: Callahan has enough legal pull to make any life sentence we give him last only 8 months.  And that's if he's unlucky and gets some young pup out of law school.  Believe me Mr. President arresting Callahan will at best keep him out of the game for 9 months, tops.  And even then he still has hundreds of capable lieutenants running every one of his crime regimes from Santiago to Vladivostok.  Not to mention the untold influence he has over the Argentine government, the Brazil government, the Belarus government, and of course the Provisional Irish Government based out of Derry.  However, an arrest, providing he gives us juicy information, could be very beneficial to us in this investigation.  Callahan probably didn't do it, but more than likely he knows who did.
Crane: Fascinating.  Well, I guess now is as good a time as anytime to get the drop on the corrupt bastard.  Let's get him.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies