Celebrity Libertarians
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:52:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Celebrity Libertarians
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Celebrity Libertarians  (Read 2277 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2010, 01:43:44 PM »

Quite interesting.

http://www.ucllibertarians.com/celebrities.html

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 01:47:34 PM »

Peter Stringfellow a libertarian? LOL.

This list is actually a pretty good argument against libertarianism.

As for Science Fiction, I'd argue that many SF writers were as libertarian as they come (Alfred Bester being an obvious example) but were not particularly 'libertarian'. Good thing, too.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 01:48:55 PM »

While I don't like the extreme True Scotsman purists who try propagate their version of libertarianism as absolute truth, me thinks this website makes a pretty broad interpretation of what is libertarian.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 01:51:08 PM »

I always thought Matt Groening was a liberal, although there have been quite a lot of libertarian type jokes in The Simpsons, such as suggesting that people would prefer to be slaves rather than voting for a third-party candidate.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 01:54:11 PM »

I knew there was a reason I liked Green Day.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 02:05:35 PM »

Drew Carey is a registered Libertarian.

Vince Vaughn is a Ron Paul Republican.
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 02:13:34 PM »

While I don't like the extreme True Scotsman purists who try propagate their version of libertarianism as absolute truth, me thinks this website makes a pretty broad interpretation of what is libertarian.

a lot of interent libertarians think so. Alan Greenspan considers himself to be a libertarian, and i will respect the fact that he wants to be labled as such.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 02:14:39 PM »

a lot of interent libertarians think so. Alan Greenspan considers himself to be a libertarian, and i will respect the fact that he wants to be labled as such.

Greenspan was an Ayn Rand fanboy in the 60s but he is not and never was a libertarian.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »

Glenn Beck also describes himself as a libertarian. I hate purism, but I flat out refuse to acknowledge any possibility that he might have anything to do with me ideologically.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 04:04:16 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hm, I want a second opinion.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ayn Rand would be proud!
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 04:21:31 PM »

Greenspan was an Ayn Rand fanboy in the 60s but he is not and never was a libertarian.
sorry, but Greenspan is a self-described libertarian. Obviously you have no respect for individuals and you care only about the label....which is meaningless any way.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »

sorry, but Greenspan is a self-described libertarian. Obviously you have no respect for individuals and you care only about the label....which is meaningless any way.

I'm sorry, but just because Alan Greenspan considers himself to be a libertarian doesn't mean I should be forced to think fo him as one either.
Individualism works both ways HoffmanJohn.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 04:53:13 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2010, 04:55:07 PM by Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand. »

I'm sorry, but just because Alan Greenspan considers himself to be a libertarian doesn't mean I should be forced to think fo him as one either.

nobody is forcing you to listen to Alan Greenspan give his high and mighty opinion of ludwig von mises  and other influential libertarian thinkers. Perhaps Alan Greenspan is a little closer to Adam Smith than you would like, but you are just going to have to accept the fact that many libertarians are not state right fundamentalists, or anti-central banking.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 05:10:21 PM »

nobody is forcing you to listen to Alan Greenspan give his high and mighty opinion of ludwig von mises  and other influential libertarian thinkers. Perhaps Alan Greenspan is a little closer to Adam Smith than you would like, but you are just going to have to accept the fact that many libertarians are not state right fundamentalists, or anti-central banking.

Well okay, thanks for making yourself a little more clearer on this one HoffmanJohn.
Believe it or not I consider myself to be a pretty open minded guy on libertarianism, hell it doesn't bother me if guys like Vince Vaugn, Denis Leary, or Bill Hicks are considered libertarians, hell it doesn't even bother me when Gramps or dead0man (although I do chuckle a little bit) claim to be libertarians.
Hell, I am very accepting of a wide plethora of "libertarian" views, but Alan Greenspan (by his own admission) is an Objectivist, not a libertarian.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 06:25:53 PM »

Well okay, thanks for making yourself a little more clearer on this one HoffmanJohn.
Believe it or not I consider myself to be a pretty open minded guy on libertarianism, hell it doesn't bother me if guys like Vince Vaugn, Denis Leary, or Bill Hicks are considered libertarians, hell it doesn't even bother me when Gramps or dead0man (although I do chuckle a little bit) claim to be libertarians.
Hell, I am very accepting of a wide plethora of "libertarian" views, but Alan Greenspan (by his own admission) is an Objectivist, not a libertarian.
Maybe you should Read Alan Green spans new book. In any event the Libertarians on this forum are kind years behind the libertarians on mises, and facebook, but at least they do not shelter themselves from the opposistion. I know of many powerful libertarian arguments that are much more sophisticated than the arguments i have found on this forum.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 01:41:11 AM »

I know of many powerful libertarian arguments that are much more sophisticated than the arguments i have found on this forum.

Such as?
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 10:50:49 AM »

For example austrian economists routinely argue that the cause for the 1937 recession was not government cut backs, but was instead accumulated malinvestment. In other words they think the economy experienced a double dip because of forces within the economy. In fact most of the time I have spent arguing with libertarians has usually been over ethics and economics. Sometimes many historical events will be thrown into the discussions for context,but we normally go beyond that.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 09:16:15 PM »

Thats it i have had a enough.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 09:17:41 PM »

Don't forget, Robin Williams and Howard Stern.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies