Celebrity Libertarians (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:17:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Celebrity Libertarians (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Celebrity Libertarians  (Read 2315 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: June 20, 2010, 01:48:55 PM »

While I don't like the extreme True Scotsman purists who try propagate their version of libertarianism as absolute truth, me thinks this website makes a pretty broad interpretation of what is libertarian.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »

While I don't like the extreme True Scotsman purists who try propagate their version of libertarianism as absolute truth, me thinks this website makes a pretty broad interpretation of what is libertarian.

a lot of interent libertarians think so. Alan Greenspan considers himself to be a libertarian, and i will respect the fact that he wants to be labled as such.

Greenspan was an Ayn Rand fanboy in the 60s but he is not and never was a libertarian.
sorry, but Greenspan is a self-described libertarian. Obviously you have no respect for individuals and you care only about the label....which is meaningless any way.

I'm sorry, but just because Alan Greenspan considers himself to be a libertarian doesn't mean I should be forced to think fo him as one either.
Individualism works both ways HoffmanJohn.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 05:10:21 PM »

a lot of interent libertarians think so. Alan Greenspan considers himself to be a libertarian, and i will respect the fact that he wants to be labled as such.

Greenspan was an Ayn Rand fanboy in the 60s but he is not and never was a libertarian.
sorry, but Greenspan is a self-described libertarian. Obviously you have no respect for individuals and you care only about the label....which is meaningless any way.

I'm sorry, but just because Alan Greenspan considers himself to be a libertarian doesn't mean I should be forced to think fo him as one either.
Individualism works both ways HoffmanJohn.

nobody is forcing you to listen to Alan Greenspan give his high and mighty opinion of ludwig von mises  and other influential libertarian thinkers. Perhaps Alan Greenspan is a little closer to Adam Smith than you would like, but you are just going to have to accept the fact that many libertarians are not state right fundamentalists, or anti-central banking.

Well okay, thanks for making yourself a little more clearer on this one HoffmanJohn.
Believe it or not I consider myself to be a pretty open minded guy on libertarianism, hell it doesn't bother me if guys like Vince Vaugn, Denis Leary, or Bill Hicks are considered libertarians, hell it doesn't even bother me when Gramps or dead0man (although I do chuckle a little bit) claim to be libertarians.
Hell, I am very accepting of a wide plethora of "libertarian" views, but Alan Greenspan (by his own admission) is an Objectivist, not a libertarian.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies