Dino Rossi (R-WA) DOES like earmarks!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:40:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Dino Rossi (R-WA) DOES like earmarks!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dino Rossi (R-WA) DOES like earmarks!  (Read 1104 times)
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2010, 04:52:51 PM »
« edited: October 03, 2010, 05:18:50 PM by Mr. Fuzzleston »

Take a look:

http://www.publicola.net/2010/06/04/it-turns-out-rossi-has-a-history-of-piling-up-the-earmarks-too/

Dino Rossi has been criticizing earmarks for months.......
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 05:17:34 PM »

This is typical of the hypocrisy we have seen from him on many issues throughout his perpetual runs for statewide office. 

The truth is that as a freshman senator in the minority, Rossi would have no clout to get Washington state earmarks even if he wanted to.  The practice of lawmakers directing federal funds to their districts is not going to disappear.  If the federal dollars are not coming to Washington they will be going to some other state.  Sen. Murray has always made sure we got our fair share.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2010, 01:51:15 PM by Mr. Fuzzleton »

This is typical of the hypocrisy we have seen from him on many issues throughout his perpetual runs for statewide office.  

The truth is that as a freshman senator in the minority, Rossi would have no clout to get Washington state earmarks even if he wanted to.  The practice of lawmakers directing federal funds to their districts is not going to disappear.  If the federal dollars are not coming to Washington they will be going to some other state.  Sen. Murray has always made sure we got our fair share.

I personally love the $60 million Murray got to re-vamp our ferry system, which we wouldn't have needed if it wasn't for Tim Eimen.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 07:41:38 PM »

Maybe Rossi has had an epiphany, and has pledged to sin no more.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 11:31:31 PM »

Maybe Rossi has had an epiphany, and has pledged to sin no more.

He had a visit from Elmer Gantry? Doubt it. Earmarks are such a small budgetary issue. I get that they're a symbol of what's wrong with our government, but I hate the pols who grandstand about it. We have so many more substantive issues.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 11:57:39 PM »

Is there a single WA poster here that doesn't despise Rossi?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 12:04:01 AM »

Well, all the WA posters here are Democrats, so that's kinda natural.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 12:21:25 AM »

Well, all the WA posters here are Democrats, so that's kinda natural.
There's that paleo-con that hates Rossi as well.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 11:49:03 AM »

I don't necessarily despise him, but I don't like his actions or positions on the issues.
But then that is something I can say about pretty much every politician.

No vote for me one way or another in November it seems.

I don't get what the opposition to ear marks is though. That money is going to be spent, may as well make sure our state gets it. Although ideally that money should never be paid to the federal government anyway, we should decide how it is spent here, it shouldn't be DC's choice.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 11:59:34 AM »

I don't necessarily despise him, but I don't like his actions or positions on the issues.

I don't get what the opposition to ear marks is though. That money is going to be spent, may as well make sure our state gets it. Although ideally that money should never be paid to the federal government anyway, we should decide how it is spent here, it shouldn't be DC's choice.

Rossi isn't really opposed to earmarks, but this is most definitely not the right year to go saying that out loud if you're a Republican. He's walking a really fine line where he has tea party support, will probably keep their support, but could risk lose them if he does anything to give Didier any real anti-Rossi traction.

Very few of these new GOP recruits this year will wind up being Coburns. Maybe Angle -- she sounds crazy enough to believe her own rhetoric. But definitely not Rossi.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 06:59:44 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2010, 07:21:57 PM by Ogre Mage »

Rossi isn't really opposed to earmarks, but this is most definitely not the right year to go saying that out loud if you're a Republican. He's walking a really fine line where he has tea party support, will probably keep their support, but could risk lose them if he does anything to give Didier any real anti-Rossi traction.

Very few of these new GOP recruits this year will wind up being Coburns. Maybe Angle -- she sounds crazy enough to believe her own rhetoric. But definitely not Rossi.

Rossi has been vigorously campaigning against earmarks since June.  If he is actually fine with them, then he is lying about a major plank in his campaign.  Given what we know about him that wouldn't be surprising.

Sen. Murray has acquired funding for programs across the state -- salmon recovery, cleanup of the Hanford Nuclear Site, light rail, our ferry system, repair of the Howard Hansen Dam and South Park Bridge, veterans, port security, construction and repair of countless miles of roads and much else too numerous to list here.  Her clout and effort have helped create jobs in this state.  I want to see her work continue and believe a majority of Washingtonians will agree.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies