General Senatorial Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:40:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  General Senatorial Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: General Senatorial Discussion  (Read 26938 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2010, 03:17:03 PM »

I have no ability to "usurp power," Libertas. All I came into power to do was to find ways to maturely discuss the issue of improving existing positions and making changes to the game when possible to improve the game without breaking it.

I discussed the issue of the Vice Presidency and to a lesser extent the President, needing some game improvements to "rebalance" their positions a bit, but I always had them calmly and intelligently with others. I find it a little sad that, instead of let anything get a fair shake through reasoned discussion, you try to manufacture controversy and scandal, and scream bloody murder, to distract everyone from the calm efforts and reasoning to make sure that nothing can change.

I'm fine if you oppose what I brainstorm about, it's what the game is all about, but what I would appreciate is being reasonable and mature about it and for you to act like an adult. In the last two months+ I have discussed possible changes that could be made to improve executive positions, and you have been the first one to have a cow. Everyone else calmly agrees or disagrees up to this point. No one made this a big issue because they're not 4.

So please, I'd like to discuss these game reform issues maturely, and if you can't do that, don't just try to pointlessly cause trouble.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2010, 03:21:54 PM »

I have no ability to "usurp power," Libertas. All I came into power to do was to find ways to maturely discuss the issue of improving existing positions and making changes to the game when possible to improve the game without breaking it.

I discussed the issue of the Vice Presidency and to a lesser extent the President, needing some game improvements to "rebalance" their positions a bit, but I always had them calmly and intelligently with others. I find it a little sad that, instead of let anything get a fair shake through reasoned discussion, you try to manufacture controversy and scandal, and scream bloody murder, to distract everyone from the calm efforts and reasoning to make sure that nothing can change.

I'm fine if you oppose what I brainstorm about, it's what the game is all about, but what I would appreciate is being reasonable and mature about it and for you to act like an adult. In the last two months+ I have discussed possible changes that could be made to improve executive positions, and you have been the first one to have a cow. Everyone else calmly agrees or disagrees up to this point. No one made this a big issue because they're not 4.

So please, I'd like to discuss these game reform issues maturely, and if you can't do that, don't just try to pointlessly cause trouble.

The "first one to have a cow"? lol

There is no "reasonable discussion" to be had over your desire to run roughshod over the constitutional separation of powers. This is not your personal fiefdom.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2010, 03:24:44 PM »

This is a political simulation game on an internet forum. Get a grip.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2010, 03:26:17 PM »

This is a political simulation game on an internet forum. Get a grip.

Lol, irony.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2010, 05:26:16 PM »

Both of you, please try to be a bit less un-Senatorial on the floor of the Senate. Thanks.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2010, 08:07:21 PM »

I would oppose the idea of a direct Executive Branch introduction of bills as well.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2010, 08:55:24 PM »

I would oppose the idea of a direct Executive Branch introduction of bills as well.

Yes, what a horrible idea. A minor change giving the executive branch no direct power but to introduce things for consideration that could increase the activity of the President and Vice Presidents in the future by giving an official means to put forward an executive agenda.

People say they want things to change. People say they want game reform. People say they want things to be more interesting. But how dare we ever propose making even the most minor of changes to under-appreciated branches. Especially since this is, you know, a game. Sometimes you update games, you tweak them, you keep them alive with new ideas or balancing.

I would sell my soul for a mature discussion on changes that didn't involve hysterical ranting or opposition for the sake of opposition. Or opposition that didn't use real-world examples as to why we shouldn't do something on the Atlas Fantasy Elections Game, but instead, sat down with the realization that we do this to enjoy ourselves and the ups and downs of new ideas, instead of knee-jerk reactionary responses like accusing someone of wanting to fashion a "personal fiefdom."

Unfortunately, most of you are uninterested in taking these things maturely, or are too caught up playing along in your little characters around here to care much.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2010, 09:06:12 PM »

Yes, what a horrible idea. A minor change giving the executive branch no direct power but to introduce things for consideration that could increase the activity of the President and Vice Presidents in the future by giving an official means to put forward an executive agenda.

People say they want things to change. People say they want game reform. People say they want things to be more interesting. But how dare we ever propose making even the most minor of changes to under-appreciated branches. Especially since this is, you know, a game. Sometimes you update games, you tweak them, you keep them alive with new ideas or balancing.

I would sell my soul for a mature discussion on changes that didn't involve hysterical ranting or opposition for the sake of opposition. Or opposition that didn't use real-world examples as to why we shouldn't do something on the Atlas Fantasy Elections Game, but instead, sat down with the realization that we do this to enjoy ourselves and the ups and downs of new ideas, instead of knee-jerk reactionary responses like accusing someone of wanting to fashion a "personal fiefdom."

Unfortunately, most of you are uninterested in taking these things maturely, or are too caught up playing along in your little characters around here to care much.

1 down, 11 more to go. I can't wait

Speaking of selling souls, I think I know someone who can help you with that, if you are truly interested in doing so, though I doubt you will get what you want for it. Tongue 
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2010, 09:26:09 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2010, 09:28:11 PM by Vice P. Marokai Blue »

You and I, along with many others, have been around long enough to see countless efforts at changing the game come and go. They all die. Atlasia has nothing change except the population numbers, the flavor of the month parties, and who is recruiting the most. We try, and we try, and we try, but Atlasia grows more and more stale and uninteresting. It's why I ran to be Vice President.

Atlasia is going to reach a point sometime where it just dies or becomes terrible uninteresting or more frustrating than it is fun. It's going to reach that point because of people like you. People that, when efforts are made to change any part of the game time after time, will cross their arms and scoff at anyone who even dares to try and talk them down. People who, instead of maturely discussing the pros and cons of efforts to change the game in a rational out-of-character way, destroyed every attempt to liven up the game that came along.

I'm fine with opposition. Badger himself, currently my favorite Senator Tongue, has said he opposes the idea of executive introduction of legislation. I'm fine with opposition that is reasonable. Clearly Badger is not out to destroy any and all efforts at even tinkering with the system. You, however, have demonstrated nothing but that over the last year and more.

It should be an utter disgrace that there are people that refuse, outright, to come to the table to discuss the ups and downs and ins and outs of possible game reform ideas. It should be considered ridiculous to, from the get-go, oppose things and refuse to even talk about them or even simply learn more about them.

I don't know what it's going to take, anymore. Complete collapse of this game? Will that do it for you? When will you be motivated to make any minor change to the current system in any way? When will you ever take the game's interests before your own preconceived notions? How many more proposals have to come and go before you even try talking about the possibilities? I've seen proposals come and go, and I've seen tons of things get watered down more and more and more, and no matter how watered down they get, it's still useless. Eventually we'll reach a point where nothing more can be proposed because it's actually impossible to water anything down anymore.

And I guess you'll be laughing all the way.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2010, 09:49:50 PM »

So, you are saying that both Badger and NCYankee oppose it, but you assume badger is doing it for reasonable reasons while NCYankee isn't. Talk about pettiness.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2010, 10:04:48 PM »

So, you are saying that both Badger and NCYankee oppose it, but you assume badger is doing it for reasonable reasons while NCYankee isn't. Talk about pettiness.

As I said if you bothered to read it as opposed to skim it, Badger does not have a history of shooting down or consistently opposing reform efforts. NCY does. (Badger also calmly explains his reasoning on most things.) If you'd like me to link hunt, I'd be happy to.

And feel free to follow me around the forum if it pleases you.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2010, 05:22:53 PM »

Wow. That was even worse pwnage of Libertas than usual. Tongue

(Though I still oppose the letting the bills be introduced directly by the executive).

There was no "pwnage". Marokai was on my ignore list for months and I didn't/don't give a damn about what he "campaigned" on. I will not sit back while this authoritarian Vice President attempts to usurp more and more power for himself.

Btw, you got some brown on your nose.

Keeping Blue on your ignore list is your prerogative, of course, but then you might be better informed on what he and PS campaigned on, and not sound so foolish proclaiming "the cat was out of the bag" on something they had actively campaigned on in multiple posts.

btw, you have some brown in your argument.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2010, 10:29:25 PM »

Senators, please remain civil on the floor of the Senate. Thank you.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2010, 05:19:32 PM »

Ahh, I knew things couldn't have stayed that quiet while I was away. Glad to see things remained lively.

For the record, I have in the past and continue to support a single slot on the Senate floor to be used for executive initiatives. Apparently this has become a more controversial topic than it was when I initially floated the idea, but it will ultimately be up to the Senate whether such a provision is included in the OSPR.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2010, 08:55:19 AM »

Oh, what is that soothing melody? Be that clatter and chatter of the condemnation which I have brought on myself. Such wonderfull and warming a sound to hear, its almost orgasmic, the sensation that such a charming sound brings to me.

You and I, along with many others, have been around long enough to see countless efforts at changing the game come and go. They all die. Atlasia has nothing change except the population numbers, the flavor of the month parties, and who is recruiting the most. We try, and we try, and we try, but Atlasia grows more and more stale and uninteresting. It's why I ran to be Vice President.

Atlasia is going to reach a point sometime where it just dies or becomes terrible uninteresting or more frustrating than it is fun. It's going to reach that point because of people like you. People that, when efforts are made to change any part of the game time after time, will cross their arms and scoff at anyone who even dares to try and talk them down. People who, instead of maturely discussing the pros and cons of efforts to change the game in a rational out-of-character way, destroyed every attempt to liven up the game that came along.

I'm fine with opposition. Badger himself, currently my favorite Senator Tongue, has said he opposes the idea of executive introduction of legislation. I'm fine with opposition that is reasonable. Clearly Badger is not out to destroy any and all efforts at even tinkering with the system. You, however, have demonstrated nothing but that over the last year and more.

It should be an utter disgrace that there are people that refuse, outright, to come to the table to discuss the ups and downs and ins and outs of possible game reform ideas. It should be considered ridiculous to, from the get-go, oppose things and refuse to even talk about them or even simply learn more about them.

I don't know what it's going to take, anymore. Complete collapse of this game? Will that do it for you? When will you be motivated to make any minor change to the current system in any way? When will you ever take the game's interests before your own preconceived notions? How many more proposals have to come and go before you even try talking about the possibilities? I've seen proposals come and go, and I've seen tons of things get watered down more and more and more, and no matter how watered down they get, it's still useless. Eventually we'll reach a point where nothing more can be proposed because it's actually impossible to water anything down anymore.

And I guess you'll be laughing all the way.

If you had the slightest idea what you were talking about you would have realized that typing that post and drawing a distinction between justifications of opposition was a big mistake. I was stating my opposition to the idea. The official debate has yet to start on it, and I was in a hurry at the time, even more so then usuall, and was not able to describe my reasons. But since you have so graciously maligned me for no purpose, I don't beleive I will oblige you with an explanation untill it actually comes up. How ironic that you misinterpreted a situation into being something and your response to that nonexistent situation has ended up creating the very situation you condemned. Congratulations on your extroadinary excersize in futile counterproductivity. I hope you enjoyed the experience because I certainly have.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2010, 05:52:04 AM »

I must say, this really super active Senate is wearing out my energy stores. I shall need to find more vict...err... energy supplies to restore them. Tongue
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2010, 09:18:43 AM »

Senators, the Foreign Policy Review is posted in my office.  Please thoroughly look through it, and if it is satisfactory, pass it as required by law.  The Foreign Aid Review will be released this upcoming week.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2010, 11:28:55 AM »

I'm back 'n active, errybody Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2010, 10:22:01 AM »

I'd like to congratulate NCYankee on his reelection to the office of President Pro Tempore.

For administrative purposes, note that AHDuke is Dean of the Senate while NCYankee is PPT (since Duke is the second-longest serving Senator).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2010, 05:59:02 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2010, 12:09:26 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I'd like to congratulate NCYankee on his reelection to the office of President Pro Tempore.

For administrative purposes, note that AHDuke is Dean of the Senate while NCYankee is PPT (since Duke is the second-longest serving Senator).

Does he get a car, driver, security detail and plane as well?

And also:
Order of Seniority
NC Yankee
Ahduke99
Bacon King
bgwah
Libertas
AndrewCT
Barnes
HappyWarrior
Snowguy
Eraserhead

This is the proper order of seniority, correct? I put the names in order of seniority in the PM's if you guys haven't noticed and if anyone is out of place, please let me know.

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2010, 06:02:18 PM »

oooh! I wanna be Dean!! Duke, resign. Right now! Sad
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2010, 06:04:38 PM »

Does he get a car, driver, security detail and plane as well?

And also:
Order of Seniority
NC Yankee
Ahduke99
bgwah
Bacon King
Libertas
AndrewCT
Barnes
HappyWarrior
Snowguy
Eraserhead

This is the proper order of seniority, correct? I put the names in order of seniority in the PM's if you guys haven't noticed and if anyone is out of place, please let me know.

If I had stayed in the Senate, I'd be Dean right now. Just throwing that out there...Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2010, 02:43:01 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2010, 02:45:11 AM by Bacon King »

I'm ahead of bgwah, actually (I beat him by four days! Grin)
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2011, 12:20:24 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2011, 08:02:30 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

New Order of Seniority
NC Yankee
AHDuke99
Bgwah
HappyWarrior
Antonio
Lief
Kalwejt
RowanBrandon

Vacant:
STV 2: formerly held by Bacon King
STV 3: formerly held by Dallasfan65

Hmm, No Prez, Veep, or PPT.

"Your mine" Evil

Edit: My reign of terror ends after just 18 minutes. Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2011, 02:05:08 PM »

Why am I ranking higher than Rowan in seniority order?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies