General Senatorial Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:47:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  General Senatorial Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: General Senatorial Discussion  (Read 26850 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2011, 03:02:30 PM »

Apologies for my tardiness in getting involved in the Senate, everyone, "real life" got in the way for a couple of days, as it tends to.

Rest assured I'm here now, and reading up on what I've missed. Tongue
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2011, 03:15:54 PM »

If this isn't a stupid question, are there any advantages to seniority or is it merely a nominal thing?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2011, 03:32:08 PM »

Does my last term count towards seniority or do they have to be consecutive?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2011, 03:33:11 PM »

I want longer seniority, because I was destined to be a Senator from the very first day I joined.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2011, 03:56:41 PM »

Unfortunately, it starts over.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »

Where rules of seniority are placed, btw?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2011, 07:00:04 PM »

I'd honestly have to go look it up. I only know the rules in my head from an extended conversation with Yank over whether or not I was ever Dean of the Senate.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2011, 06:13:45 PM »

If this isn't a stupid question, are there any advantages to seniority or is it merely a nominal thing?

It determines who the Dean is. Longest continously serving sitting member who isn't currently serving as PPT. Which should should make figuring out who is dean currently, pretty easy, though I don't know if he remembers that fact? Wink

I'd honestly have to go look it up. I only know the rules in my head from an extended conversation with Yank over whether or not I was ever Dean of the Senate.

Which centered around three key points.
1. When did Afleitch resign?
2. When did the new Senate begin?  March 5th 2010
3. When did you leave? I think I established it was somewhat later based on the fact that you voted in the PPT election for that senate.

Reaserch was inconclusive as something else had occured that added to the confusion. I couldn't find a place where Afleitch had resigned his Senate seat prior to his swearing in as President on or after March 5th. Though I did find BK swearing into that same Senate seat prior to Afleitch swearing in as President. I pmed Afleitch for clarification on this matter but he never responded to me. My guess is technically BK became Senator once Afleitch wasn't one no longer, since two people can't occupy one seat.

If Afleitch left while I was still PPT, you were Dean. However if Afleitch didn't leave till after I was no longer PPT (like at the beginning of the new Senate) then you weren't.  Tongue

Unless I am mistaken there is no set of rules about Seniority. Only those concerning the terms of a Senator in the Constitution and those that establish the position of Dean in the OSPR.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2011, 08:11:17 PM »

Afleitch resigned before his term had ended in February 2010. I remember because Bacon King won his seat during a special election and got to take office before me! Tongue

Anyway, it appears I must assassinate Duke to become Dean...? Evil
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2011, 08:27:48 AM »

Absolutely, man! First in line to get pizza when the Senate orders, and you get first dibs on ordering toppings.

Others have to bow when passing more senior members in the hallways, with the depth of the bow commiserate to the difference in seniority. Shua will likely have to kowtow prostrate everytime he passes Yank.

Plus parking and office privileges! Compare the offices of PPT Yank:

With those of a lowly freshman senator:

And the choice in staff! Compare Yank's first choice from the secretarial pool:

With those leftover for freshmen:

Trust a retired Senator: Seniority is everything.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2011, 12:17:35 PM »

She's actually my top gal in the White House Office of Legislative Affairs... Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2011, 11:09:56 PM »

1. I have never set foot in that office. I turned it into a shrine for former PPT MasterJedi. Tongue

2. I have retained only a skeleton crew of staff because frankly, "Its so hard to 'program' good help these days". (Love this quote, and I am pretty sure no one can trace where I found it). Tongue

3. I have aggressively cutback on perks in the past, especially my first time around (Probably why those dirty bastards tossed me out. Tongue). The restrictions on flight were just brutal.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2011, 03:06:38 AM »

Others have to bow when passing more senior members in the hallways, with the depth of the bow commiserate to the difference in seniority. Shua will likely have to kowtow prostrate everytime he passes Yank.

And he still have to bow before me.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2011, 11:53:15 AM »

She's actually my top gal in the White House Office of Legislative Affairs... Wink

RECALL!!! Angry  Wink
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2011, 02:31:18 PM »

Be careful what you say. You're talking about the next POTUS, here.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2011, 03:48:12 PM »

Be careful what you say. You're talking about the next POTUS, here.

Yes, and she likes to hunt down Democrats for their "traitorous" ideas, I know.

Nice try f@#$king with me, Mr. President. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2011, 01:43:08 AM »

Although I doubt but a few have noticed beyond those who have been informed by virtue of their high level connections (basically they happened to interrupt me at the right time), something has happened. Yes something very disagreeable. Very disagreeable indeed. Tongue

Somehow several programs of lesser importance get infected with the the virus win32/heur. Appearently it is in the the business of stealing passwords, and is one of more dangerous. A minor nuisance I would call it.

So now that nuisance has been eliminated, I can return my attention to the nuisances that number currently at 9, starting again tomorrow. Tongue

And just for the record, that damn ugly picture you people keep quoting is hell on my internet connection, especially now that its back down to running at 24k (well 40 was nice while it lasted).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2011, 06:48:33 PM »

Since the abominable Snowman introduced the keeping of the exact times at which voting, debate, amendments etc stopped and started, I have decided to preserve this. However since it was started in January it has never been in place at a time in which Daylight Savings Time would impact it. So should I ignore it or try to incorporate it in somehow?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2011, 11:33:13 PM »

Since the abominable Snowman introduced the keeping of the exact times at which voting, debate, amendments etc stopped and started, I have decided to preserve this. However since it was started in January it has never been in place at a time in which Daylight Savings Time would impact it. So should I ignore it or try to incorporate it in somehow?

I suggest just recording it in EST. That is default forum display time anyway I believe. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2011, 09:10:55 AM »

I really don't want to sound like a coupist here, but could either Vice President Dallasfan or Dean Duke doing something, since we stucked and PPT is missing?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2011, 11:02:42 AM »

I really don't want to sound like a coupist here, but could either Vice President Dallasfan or Dean Duke doing something, since we stucked and PPT is missing?
Yankee has been having computer issues the past few days. He was hoping to get it resolved by possibly just buying a new computer, but apparently something went wrong in his plan.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2011, 05:17:11 PM »

Yankee has been having computer issues the past few days. He was hoping to get it resolved by possibly just buying a new computer, but apparently something went wrong in his plan.

Ok, so for this time either Dallas or Duke have to take reins, or we're f**ked up.

That's why we do have three people who can serve as presiding officer!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2011, 06:33:54 PM »

@ tmth:

The problem with my computer was a virus. I removed it successfully a week ago Saturday, and posted as such on here. So I didn't have to buy a new computer to replace this computer.

Now I did buy "a" computer, but not to replace this one. It was an older machine to run software that won't run on Windows XP, of which I have about 5 or 6 programs. So I bought an HP with Windows 98 at The Salvation Army (only place to find such an old machine around here, unless you get lucky at a yard sale). It was working wonderfully for its intended purpose, that is untill it exploded in my face, when I went to plug it in yesterday morning. This pissed me off. Since my old Gateway quit (also a blown power supply, they are litteraly made with garbage parts especially in the 1998 to 2006 period), I have been prevented from using this software. That has been since 2007. Now I must wait again till a new power supply can be ordered and sent to run these programs.

Getting back to this machine that I use for internet and 90% of my software. Sooner or later, it will also be done in by garbage capacitors, but not in the power supply which can be replaced. Instead it will be those that control the processor on the motherboard and thus unfixable. Nothing less than that and maybe not even that will prevent from me from fixing this machine and continuing to use it (a motherboard for this is between $80 and $100 and thus within my ability to replace completely if I am bold enough). Ironically enough this is the only computer that we have not had to change the power supply in, yet.

@Kal:

Actually you are not Coupist. I actually prefer that the VP do stuff that I have missed or neglected for whatever reason ( such as the GM reform bill and the OSPR bill amendments etc and even opening final votes on them if the situation called for it). He has far more latitude as Veep then even I do in running the Senate.  Duke is somewhat restricted by a five day requirement of my absence before he can legally do sh**t as Dean. Though I have the ability to get around that with some chicanery if necessary. Wink I have to be on though to do that.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2011, 06:35:10 PM »

Duke is somewhat restricted by a five day requirement of my absence before he can legally do sh**t as Dean. Though I have the ability to get around that with some chicanery if necessary. Wink I have to be on though to do that.

Five days? Hmm... well, that may be amended.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2011, 06:44:06 PM »

Everyweek I have projects due on Thursday. Normally I do these on Wednesday but this past week I didn't because I wasn't feeling good Wednesday. On Thursday, when I did them they took much longer then expected. And it was Midnight before I got on here and thus was only on for an hour. On Friday I spent the first part of the day getting that new old machine working and then replacing a damaged software CD that won't run in any machine except for (you guessed it) this computer. I think I did come on here for a while and did some of the Senate business. So I haven't been gone as long as some of you think.

Normally I go through every bill everyday, using the noticeboard as an interface. For some reason, this didn't happened Friday. I opened the bills I saw at the top of the board that had the most recent activity.

On Saturday, I didn't get online for variety of reasons. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies