Heaven, Hell, Reincarnation, and other "end points"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:06:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Heaven, Hell, Reincarnation, and other "end points"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Heaven, Hell, Reincarnation, and other "end points"  (Read 4512 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2010, 01:27:02 AM »

Arose on my Fate topic. I'm curious what people think of the various proposed "end points" to one's "life"

Do you go to Heaven/Hell? Are you born again? Do you turn to dust?

My personal belief is, partly, all of them. I think that in a way, hell is earth. I also think it is possible to go to Heaven, but that you can return to Earth.

I also have a working theory. Time is relative. This would mean that you could die, and be re-incarnated as your great grandfather. If that is true, it leads me to another theory... That all beings on this planet, if not the entire universe, are the same single 'life' reincarnated over and over and over, at each stage, growing just a little bit, until the final incarnation, which is God itself.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 02:08:07 AM »

Ok hell in ancient Hebrew meant literally nothingness. So if you go to hell you cease to exist. It's not a place where you burn which is depicted in cartoons. And if you want to play the game and bring up the flames of hell from the Bible let's do that and talk about what the Bible WAS ACTUALLY SAYING!!! For those of you who have studied ancient Israel you have heard of Hinnam Valley which translates to Hell Valley. It was a valley where the Canaanites (non-believers) practiced child sacrifice to the god Molech. Children were burned as a sacrifice which is why a story like Isaac (who actually died in the original story) were so embedded in the minds of the Jews. Anyways, in Hinnam or "Hell" Valley, the non-believers were literally "burning in hell." So please do not think that there is a devil waiting for you in hell. I know that it's been misinterpreted throughout the centuries but please by all means do not think that. Oh and by the way in Hebrew Satan just means accuser or opposition.

As for heaven: Well instead of worrying about how to get into heaven, why don't we start making it happen here on earth? Maybe that's all Jesus wanted? I believe that Jesus died for our sins but regardless heaven can still be an idea or a state of mind. After all, when you're in heaven it's not like you would have any need to remember anything on earth since you'd be at peace with God.

Reincarnation is just silly.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 02:44:26 AM »

Matter can not be created nor destroyed. we simply turn into a different kind of matter. we might be a human not and part of the air later. or a human now or a frog. or a human now then a worm. so to an extent yes reincarnation exists.
as for heaven and hell those are just ideas to give us something to keep us on the good road back when religion governed our lives. since religion is not just a big role in everyones lives and some don't even believe in it then it cant exist.

I myself believe in the first. matter is not created nor destroyed.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 02:46:38 AM »

Matter can not be created nor destroyed. we simply turn into a different kind of matter. we might be a human not and part of the air later. or a human now or a frog. or a human now then a worm. so to an extent yes reincarnation exists.
as for heaven and hell those are just ideas to give us something to keep us on the good road back when religion governed our lives. since religion is not just a big role in everyones lives and some don't even believe in it then it cant exist.

But are our souls matter?
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 02:50:15 AM »

But are our souls matter?
souls consist of ideas. ideas are not tangible. i do believe that there is something that creates those ideas. yes our brain obviously. but there is something that makes us have a certain 'soul' so to speak.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 08:58:27 AM »

Whether our consciousness continues to exist or not is something that really has not been determined. Humans may have simply invented the concept of an afterlife for comfort since most of us fear death to some degree. Concepts like heaven and hell where those who are seen as good are rewarded and those who are seen as evil are punished additionally satisfy us because it gives us more comfort in that no matter how cruel the world might seem we'll see those who wronged us get what's coming to them. I think this is most likely how the beliefs on our world developed, though there could still be some form of afterlife anyways. But if not I wouldn't worry about it too much, if there's no afterlife then there's no afterlife. I think this quote best sums up my feelings on that notion:

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain (attributed, source unknown)
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 02:08:15 PM »

Whether our consciousness continues to exist or not is something that really has not been determined. Humans may have simply invented the concept of an afterlife for comfort since most of us fear death to some degree. Concepts like heaven and hell where those who are seen as good are rewarded and those who are seen as evil are punished additionally satisfy us because it gives us more comfort in that no matter how cruel the world might seem we'll see those who wronged us get what's coming to them. I think this is most likely how the beliefs on our world developed, though there could still be some form of afterlife anyways. But if not I wouldn't worry about it too much, if there's no afterlife then there's no afterlife. I think this quote best sums up my feelings on that notion:

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain (attributed, source unknown)

Humans may have invented the concept of an afterlife but as to whether or not there is an afterlife, that can only be created by something beyond our control. Unless you're talking about finding a cure for all diseases but even then you're not talking about "eternal" life.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 03:01:20 PM »

We have clearly created something for ourselves after death. We're primates who understand our own mortality and feel 'cheated' that we have to die despite everything we have done, still have to do and because of what we leave behind. So we invent a continuation. Some inventions are more 'humane' than others; becoming nothingness, reincarnation (depends to what) or the concept of eternal worship of a supreme being.

As far as I am concerened the end point is death. The best way to prepare yourself for it is to live a fulfilling life.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 03:11:01 PM »

We have clearly created something for ourselves after death. We're primates who understand our own mortality and feel 'cheated' that we have to die despite everything we have done, still have to do and because of what we leave behind. So we invent a continuation. Some inventions are more 'humane' than others; becoming nothingness, reincarnation (depends to what) or the concept of eternal worship of a supreme being.

As far as I am concerened the end point is death. The best way to prepare yourself for it is to live a fulfilling life.

I agree with living a fulfilling life, but there is scientific evidence that disputes us from descending from apes. First of all, there is the missing link. I know a couple months ago I posted about how it could have been aliens who came to teach us how to use tools. I'm not going to debate my religious beliefs on this particular thread but the fact that humans have always believed in an afterlife or at least a spiritual realm could have to do with aliens.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 03:24:18 PM »

I agree with living a fulfilling life, but there is scientific evidence that disputes us from descending from apes. First of all, there is the missing link. I know a couple months ago I posted about how it could have been aliens who came to teach us how to use tools. I'm not going to debate my religious beliefs on this particular thread but the fact that humans have always believed in an afterlife or at least a spiritual realm could have to do with aliens.

First of all the 'link' is hypothetically there based on what we have found and know know it is a pre-supposed link. The fact that we have not yet physically found all the inhabitants of that link does not negate it's highly probably likelyhood. On the issue of the use of primative tools any external 'guide' they must also have taught chimps, ants and some birds to use basic tools. Tool-making is quite wide in the animal kingdom; ours are just better.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 03:31:56 PM »

First of all the 'link' is hypothetically there based on what we have found and know know it is a pre-supposed link. The fact that we have not yet physically found all the inhabitants of that link does not negate it's highly probably likelyhood. On the issue of the use of primative tools any external 'guide' they must also have taught chimps, ants and some birds to use basic tools. Tool-making is quite wide in the animal kingdom; ours are just better.

Our's is better and what I'm saying is that there is an argument that can be made supporting aliens teaching us and that's why we're so much better than other animals. In fact we could be descendants of aliens.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 04:02:02 PM »

Our's is better and what I'm saying is that there is an argument that can be made supporting aliens teaching us and that's why we're so much better than other animals. In fact we could be descendants of aliens.

"An argument can be made" and "could be" are not evidence, and as such there's no reason for the idea to be taken seriously. Find the evidence first, then take the idea seriously.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 05:52:40 PM »

"An argument can be made" and "could be" are not evidence, and as such there's no reason for the idea to be taken seriously. Find the evidence first, then take the idea seriously.

There is plenty of evidence to support me. It's not like I'm the only one who thinks what I'm saying.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 06:07:11 PM »

There is plenty of evidence to support me. It's not like I'm the only one who thinks what I'm saying.

Are you talking about aliens or god (or both)?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 08:10:29 PM »

Are you talking about aliens or god (or both)?

Both. Those are completely separate issues though.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 09:07:50 PM »

The end is a wooden box and a bunch of worms.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 09:31:44 PM »

The end is a wooden box and a bunch of worms.

I knew a pastor who used to joke about that. Our bodies are useless anyhow as they are made of material. I had another religion professor who used to say that if you really want to talk about the body of Christ all you need to do is come to church because as Christians we are the "body of Christ." It's an interesting interpretation.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 09:35:10 PM »

Our bodies are all we have.  Once that's gone, we're gone.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 09:46:43 PM »

The body is the prison house of the soul.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 09:50:09 PM »

Thank you, Plato.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 09:53:56 PM »

The soul is an invention to make us feel better, as is heaven.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 10:16:36 PM »

I think this quote best sums up my feelings on that notion:

Just to piggyback on this post:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

It sums up how I feel about the afterlife, and theological discussions, or at least, the absence of theological discussion.

Reincarnation is an interesting idea; it's sort of cleverly cruel form of social control. Instead of driving home an idea of an eternal suffering elsewhere, it drives home that if you're bad, you wind up right back in your misery, or worse.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 10:54:16 PM »

The soul is an invention to make us feel better, as is heaven.

Not necessarily, what about the mind's awareness of itself. That is what constitutes existence. Can that thought be destroyed?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 02:40:57 AM »

Just for the record, my personal belief is that the bible is a work of fiction, just as is the Koran, and Torrah; God is not an Author.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 02:46:32 AM »

Just for the record, my personal belief is that the bible is a work of fiction, just as is the Koran, and Torrah; God is not an Author.

It's more in depth than that though. It's clearly referring to events that happened and matches up not literally but figuratively with other myths of ancient times whether it be Greece, Rome, Babylon, Persia, Egypt, Canaan, or Sumerian. The problem today is that people don't understand the thought process or understanding of someone who lived 3,000 years ago. For example, people ask why the Bible is full of stories that are cut up and woven together. Were the priests trying to confuse people? No, that's nonsense. People didn't have the thought process of A, B, C, and D. The Bible is a very complex document and it was never imagined that it would be in the homes of every Christian and Jew ever. The priests would preach and teach from it. It was meant to be heard, not read. Yes now if we read it we can see what they were actually referring to and with a little knowledge of Hebrew and Greek we find many translations at odds. Like how the word virgin meant young woman in ancient Hebrew. So you see it's not simply "made up" but was "fact" for the time that it was written. What mattered wasn't how accurate a story was but how it was told. And believe me if you told a story wrong everyone would correct you in those times.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies