Heaven, Hell, Reincarnation, and other "end points" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:44:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Heaven, Hell, Reincarnation, and other "end points" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Heaven, Hell, Reincarnation, and other "end points"  (Read 4614 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: June 24, 2010, 03:01:20 PM »

We have clearly created something for ourselves after death. We're primates who understand our own mortality and feel 'cheated' that we have to die despite everything we have done, still have to do and because of what we leave behind. So we invent a continuation. Some inventions are more 'humane' than others; becoming nothingness, reincarnation (depends to what) or the concept of eternal worship of a supreme being.

As far as I am concerened the end point is death. The best way to prepare yourself for it is to live a fulfilling life.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 03:24:18 PM »

We have clearly created something for ourselves after death. We're primates who understand our own mortality and feel 'cheated' that we have to die despite everything we have done, still have to do and because of what we leave behind. So we invent a continuation. Some inventions are more 'humane' than others; becoming nothingness, reincarnation (depends to what) or the concept of eternal worship of a supreme being.

As far as I am concerened the end point is death. The best way to prepare yourself for it is to live a fulfilling life.

I agree with living a fulfilling life, but there is scientific evidence that disputes us from descending from apes. First of all, there is the missing link. I know a couple months ago I posted about how it could have been aliens who came to teach us how to use tools. I'm not going to debate my religious beliefs on this particular thread but the fact that humans have always believed in an afterlife or at least a spiritual realm could have to do with aliens.

First of all the 'link' is hypothetically there based on what we have found and know know it is a pre-supposed link. The fact that we have not yet physically found all the inhabitants of that link does not negate it's highly probably likelyhood. On the issue of the use of primative tools any external 'guide' they must also have taught chimps, ants and some birds to use basic tools. Tool-making is quite wide in the animal kingdom; ours are just better.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 06:07:11 PM »

There is plenty of evidence to support me. It's not like I'm the only one who thinks what I'm saying.

Are you talking about aliens or god (or both)?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »

Through observing thought (and actions as a result of thought) it is apparent that it is intrinsicly linked with matter; we need a brain to think, we need electrical pulses to drive 'the thinking'. That's what we know, other methods may not be impossible but they have not been demonstrated. Do thoughts exist outside the material? More than likely not; they can 'exist' if they are shared with others, but the passing on and receipt of an idea from one human to another requires the brain.

I cannot see how any essence can exist beyond the death or destruction of the material body or indeed exist before the creation of the material body

Curiously, for those who think that before the 'Big Bang' there was a god to kick start it off, if there was no matter before the creation of matter how could this god 'think' and therefore create?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies