A Message to All Republicans Here...yes, I'm back for the next 24 hours only... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:43:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  A Message to All Republicans Here...yes, I'm back for the next 24 hours only... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Message to All Republicans Here...yes, I'm back for the next 24 hours only...  (Read 40019 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: November 08, 2004, 12:22:26 AM »

Like it or not, among Republicans and Independents of the moderate to conservative bent, Michael Moore is now the symbol of your party more than any actual party leader...and mainstream Dems made that possible by refusing to repudiate Moore and his vile lies.

I'm not really sure if repudiating Moore would help.  I've repudiated liberals who are on the extreme end of things many times and tons of conservatives still claim that they represent every liberal in existence every single time they open their mouth.  I don't really know what else I can do.

That said, I do personally feel that the Democratic Party needs to shift itself in from the left.  Nominating someone like Bill Richardson instead of Dennis Kucinich would be a good start.  Whether we like it or not, those in the left wing of the Democratic Party probably believe a lot of things that the large majority of Americans don't and probably won't help the Democratic Party's image if nominated as our candidate for president.

We shouldn't just be "GOP Lite", though.  It's possible to be a moderate Democrat and still definitely be a Democrat.  I personally think the main thing we need to do is shake our image of being a directionless party that attracts tons of extreme leftists from the lunatic fringe and do our best to establish what we really stand for, which is probably something that Americans can be much more agreeable towards than what they currently think we stand for.

That said, however, if we do nominate someone like Dennis Kucinich, I'm not going anywhere.  I don't identify with the Democratic Party to win elections; I do so because I agree with its platform more than any other party's.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 03:13:22 AM »

Do any Democrats wonder why we shallacked you on Tuesday?  The level of vitriol and condescention rubs people in middle America wrong.  Most Democrats detest middle America.  Well, on Tuesday, middle America let the Democrats know the feeling is mutual.

I don't hate middle America.  I don't know of anyone who does.  I'm a middle class citizen myself.  Maybe some Democrats hate middle America; I don't know.  I'm not them and I can't force them to behave otherwise.  Their opinions are their own.  They certainly don't speak for me, but I don't want to censor them or something just to get ahead.

I try my best to ease tensions, act humbly, talk rationally, and foster unity among people; I don't know what more I could do.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 02:08:23 PM »

Gabu,

You aren't a Democrat, you're a Canadian who identifies with the Democratic Party on ideology when it comes to US elections.

So?  If I moved all of 50 kilometers to Port Angeles, I would certainly join the Democratic Party.  I don't see what the big difference is being a few kilometers north of the border.

I don't claim to speak for the majority of Democrats now and I wouldn't claim to speak for the majority of Democrats if I was born and raised in America.  I am who I am and I speak for myself.  However, I don't see how my being Canadian invalidates my input.  Are we really that different?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies