One vote margin in CA State Senate Democratic primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:26:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  One vote margin in CA State Senate Democratic primary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: One vote margin in CA State Senate Democratic primary  (Read 1845 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2010, 10:05:47 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/california-politics/2010/06/salasvargas-state-senate-slugfest-down-to-a-single-vote.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 12:52:24 PM »

Last sentence of the article:
"A recount could be next."

Could be?   Way to go out on a limb there.
Kevinstat

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 06:27:46 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2010, 06:29:27 PM by Kevinstat »

Is winning the Democratic primary in this district equivilent to getting elected?  I gather that is the case (with either the Democratic or Republican primary) in most legislative districts (and most congressional districts, too) in California nowadays.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 11:41:25 PM »

What's with recounts?  Can't we count right in the first place?  How difficult can it be, we've been voting here for 200 years now.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 12:38:33 AM »

What's with recounts?  Can't we count right in the first place?  How difficult can it be, we've been voting here for 200 years now.

One vote margin...
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 01:05:57 AM »

Figuring out exactly how many little marks there are on thousands of pieces of paper is not an easy task no matter how many times one does it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 05:58:20 AM »

Is winning the Democratic primary in this district equivilent to getting elected?  I gather that is the case (with either the Democratic or Republican primary) in most legislative districts (and most congressional districts, too) in California nowadays.
Yes.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 07:59:45 AM »

Figuring out exactly how many little marks there are on thousands of pieces of paper is not an easy task no matter how many times one does it.

So you'd think they'd be careful enough to do it right the first time in case of a close vote.  And I don't see why it should be so difficult, like I said we've been doing it for 200 years.  How have we not yet been able to figure out counting?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 06:32:27 PM »

So you'd think they'd be careful enough to do it right the first time in case of a close vote.  And I don't see why it should be so difficult, like I said we've been doing it for 200 years.  How have we not yet been able to figure out counting?

Two mistakes could send the election to the other candidate. Nothing is perfect.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 11:30:05 PM »

Last sentence of the article:
"A recount could be next."

Could be?   Way to go out on a limb there.

I'm LOLing that quote. And way cool, since it was 50,000 votes cast
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 11:41:59 PM »

It's not as if they don't want to get it exactly right or don't care enough to put in the effort. And yes, it is extremely difficult to tabulate our election results and it's a testament to the fine work of many elections departments around the country that we are able to do it as accurately as we do.

It's impossible to figure out exactly how many little marks there are on thousands of pieces of paper. No system that involves humans is that precise. And the number of times we've done it is irrelevant. It's not something that we get "better" at with time. It's just an inherently difficult thing to do.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies