Democrats on Iraq
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:41:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Democrats on Iraq
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Democrats on Iraq  (Read 6028 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 11:16:10 PM »

I'm not talking about the leaders of the Democratic Party, the history of the Democratic Party or Congressmen of the Democratic Party, just the base. Yes the DLC leadership of the Democrats is certainly more interventionist on foriegn policy than the base, but there will always be a wing of the Democrats that is extremely anti-war.

Also what the hell does the Democratic Party of the 1840s have anything to do with the Democratic Party of today?

So? There's a wing of the Republicans that is "extremely anti-war" too. It doesn't mean a damn thing when it comes to who controls and represents the parties in Washington.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 01:57:26 AM »

I think it's funny how I have proved that the leaders of the democrats were for the war in Iraq and here everyone is trying to beat around the Bush. Look either the democrats weren't representing their constituents or they were lying? Which is it? I'm not sure which is worse.
cpeeks
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 10:50:46 AM »

No your trying to vindicate Bush. He was the one that went before congress, and stood there and lied to congress and lied to the American people.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 11:16:01 AM »

Why is this surprising to you?

The Democrats love war, it's part of their tradition. They only feigned opposition to the Iraq war during election years after Bush's war became unpopular.

Over 20 Senate Democrats voted against as well as most of House Democrats. So don't generalize.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 01:08:23 PM »

No your trying to vindicate Bush. He was the one that went before congress, and stood there and lied to congress and lied to the American people.

The democrats wanted to politicize the war by making it look like they were for it when it was popular and against it as it got harder.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 04:30:20 PM »

Point being: Saying that Democrats love war is a retarded statement that goes against reality. Democrats in the USA are obviously going to be more hawkish than the average European but they don't love war. From the start there was significant opposition towards the Iraq War among the Democratic base.

One think I like about the GOP is that they are more pro-Israel than Democrats and Independents.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 04:31:01 PM »

The democrats wanted to politicize the war by making it look like they were for it when it was popular and against it as it got harder.

Well, many Democrats did that, but many of them (like Barack Obama) had good judgment and were against the war from the start.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 05:13:21 PM »

Point being: Saying that Democrats love war is a retarded statement that goes against reality. Democrats in the USA are obviously going to be more hawkish than the average European but they don't love war. From the start there was significant opposition towards the Iraq War among the Democratic base.

The Mexican-American War, World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, all initiated by Democrats.

Every Democrat in the Senate and all but one in the House voted for the Afghanistan war. The majority of Senate Democrats voted for the Iraq war, including Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, as well as a substantial percentage of Democrats in the House.

The Democrats have controlled Congress since 2006 and the White House since 2008. We are still in Iraq and we are escalating the war against Afghanistan.

So, sorry, the idea that the Democratic party is an anti-war party is just ridiculous. If it were, I'd have joined.

Ron Paul also voted for the Afghanistan War.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 05:18:32 PM »

The Mexican-American War, World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, all initiated by Democrats.

Every Democrat in the Senate and all but one in the House voted for the Afghanistan war. The majority of Senate Democrats voted for the Iraq war, including Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, as well as a substantial percentage of Democrats in the House.

The Democrats have controlled Congress since 2006 and the White House since 2008. We are still in Iraq and we are escalating the war against Afghanistan.

So, sorry, the idea that the Democratic party is an anti-war party is just ridiculous. If it were, I'd have joined.

So did Dennis Kucinich. What's your point?
cpeeks
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 05:35:11 PM »

The authorization they voted for was for 90 days not 9 years.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 05:43:37 PM »

The Afghanistan War isn't really a good example.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 05:48:30 PM »

How Ron Paul voted is not relevant to a discussion of how Democrats have voted.

Not to mention Ron Paul did propose an alternative to war back in 2001, and has for a long time now favored bringing the troops home. Barack Obama and the Democrats who control Congress want to not only continue but escalate the conflict in Afghanistan.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 06:03:20 PM »

Not to mention Ron Paul did propose an alternative to war back in 2001, and has for a long time now favored bringing the troops home. Barack Obama and the Democrats who control Congress want to not only continue but escalate the conflict in Afghanistan.

I agree that the Democrats are for the most part a pro-war party, i'm just pointing that there are better examples to prove it than how they voted on Afghanistan. Even most of the anti-establishment Democrats (and Republicans) voted for it.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 06:05:41 PM »

I agree that the Democrats are for the most part a pro-war party, i'm just pointing that there are better examples to prove it than how they voted on Afghanistan. Even most of the anti-establishment Democrats (and Republicans) voted for it.

Alright, so we're agreed then that the Democratic party is not an anti-war party.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2010, 07:01:06 PM »

Alright, so we're agreed then that the Democratic party is not an anti-war party.
I agree as well. I was saying that they are more anti-war than the Republicans and have a large anti-war base.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2010, 07:09:54 PM »

I would hope he did. Did anyone actually vote against the Afghanistan war?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2010, 07:12:41 PM »

I would hope he did. Did anyone actually vote against the Afghanistan war?

Barbara Lee was the only one who didn't.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2010, 07:31:04 PM »

It also seems that the democrats have been traumatized since Vietnam. Every war ever fought since then has been compared to Vietnam. It's ridiculous. Every war ever fought has been and will always be different.
cpeeks
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2010, 05:55:46 PM »

It also seems that the democrats have been traumatized since Vietnam. Every war ever fought since then has been compared to Vietnam. It's ridiculous. Every war ever fought has been and will always be different.

That is somewhat true, but there are some parallels. Where fighting insurgencies that have the support from the people and we are propping up puppets goverments that will fall as soon as our withdrawl happens. Like Colin Powell said when he warned Bush about invading Iraq "You break it, you bought it".
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2010, 06:03:35 PM »

That is somewhat true, but there are some parallels. Where fighting insurgencies that have the support from the people and we are propping up puppets goverments that will fall as soon as our withdrawl happens. Like Colin Powell said when he warned Bush about invading Iraq "You break it, you bought it".

Not to mention that all the wars since Vietnam have been wars that had nothing to do with the American people.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies