Random international maps thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:19:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Random international maps thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Random international maps thread  (Read 35287 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2014, 10:36:16 PM »

Ah yes, the guy in the wheelchair. The last time the right has won in Vancouver.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2014, 02:18:38 PM »

Effective number of parties by riding, 2011

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2014, 02:47:07 PM »

Interesting, how did you calculate that?
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2014, 02:50:22 PM »

Interesting, how did you calculate that?

1 over the sum of squares of each party's portion of the vote, or 1/sumsq([range of party vote shares]) in excel

It's the topic of my next blog post, which will be followed with a by-polling division map for bc and some major cities
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2014, 02:53:12 PM »

it'll look something like this when I find my clean polling division files, where ever I put them
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2014, 10:18:09 PM »

Exceptional work! The work you are doing here is so useful, and something that none of the rest of us have been doing - you are once again proving why the International Elections posters are those of the highest caliber on the Forum!
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2014, 10:39:22 PM »

Exceptional work! The work you are doing here is so useful, and something that none of the rest of us have been doing - you are once again proving why the International Elections posters are those of the highest caliber on the Forum!

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that A) most countries simply have more centralized data than the United States and B) the two-party system produces boring maps
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2014, 10:53:35 PM »

Got Toronto done.  figured out how to combine elections canada csv files rapidly, so it only took minutes to put together

This one is a different scale than the riding map, though when I put them up on the blog post they'll all be the same scale
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2014, 02:29:32 AM »

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that A) most countries simply have more centralized data than the United States and B) the two-party system produces boring maps

I think it has more to do with the fact that the international posters on here are less likely to be 16 years old. Additionally, given that in the US, elections for all levels of government are held at the same time, so speculation for about 18 months is very arbitrary, whereas Canada is less likely to go that long between an election somewhere at either a provincial or federal level. Plus, it's more than likely that the party leaders, at least federally, are almost certainly going to be the same at the election as they are currently, whereas in the US, we can be speculating years prior to the Presidential election, just who the candidates will be. There just doesn't tend to be as much in-depth looking at previous results, and more idle speculation about future election results...
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2014, 01:08:39 PM »

This is a lot of fun

Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2014, 01:11:39 PM »

I feel like a large print of that would make really nice wall-art
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2014, 12:10:15 AM »

The UK, same scale as the Canadian riding by riding maps

and the US
palandio

« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2014, 02:43:22 AM »

Great maps.

The US map is a bit dull, though: Districts with a dominant party are red, New York has some small parties like the Conservative Party, Working Families Party. Any other interesting stuff?

The UK map is interesting. There seems to be a slight correlation between Labour results and a more diverse partisanship. This would also explain a part of the Labour bias of British FPTP (other explanations are of course low turnout and shrinking populations in Labour strongholds).

If you manage to get Indian data in the right format and do a map, that would be great!
EPG
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2014, 07:33:48 AM »

The UK map is like a diagram of where the Lib Dems became strong by being much better at fighting Tories than Labour and vice-versa - the south, north Norfolk, the Pennines, Liverpool, Fife. It shows just how much Labour are seen as too left-wing for the south, and how much the Conservatives are seen as too right-wing for northern cities. While the Lib Dems will drop at the next election, those perceptions of the main pair of parties won't have changed.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2014, 08:13:27 AM »

The high number of parties in New York is not really indicative of more diverse partisanship. Voters there may have the choice between the Democratic, Working Families, Conservative, Republican, Independent and Liberal parties, but I think that any Empire State voter who pays even the slightest attention to the ballot on which he votes will understand how electoral fusion contributes to the dominance of the two major parties.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2014, 10:41:32 AM »

The high number of parties in New York is not really indicative of more diverse partisanship. Voters there may have the choice between the Democratic, Working Families, Conservative, Republican, Independent and Liberal parties, but I think that any Empire State voter who pays even the slightest attention to the ballot on which he votes will understand how electoral fusion contributes to the dominance of the two major parties.

It would seem that electoral fusion allows for the existence of third parties at all, compared to the rest of the country
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2014, 10:53:03 AM »

Great maps.

The US map is a bit dull, though: Districts with a dominant party are red, New York has some small parties like the Conservative Party, Working Families Party. Any other interesting stuff?

The UK map is interesting. There seems to be a slight correlation between Labour results and a more diverse partisanship. This would also explain a part of the Labour bias of British FPTP (other explanations are of course low turnout and shrinking populations in Labour strongholds).

If you manage to get Indian data in the right format and do a map, that would be great!

If you have Indian shapefiles, please send!

Since you brought up the two, here's the US and the UK scaled against their own averages, rather than the Canadian average

joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2014, 11:04:59 AM »

what are the averages? I vuagely remember reading something like 1.9 fir the US and 2.4 for UK, Canada somewhere in between>
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2014, 11:27:51 AM »

It would seem that electoral fusion allows for the existence of third parties at all, compared to the rest of the country

Fusion allows for the existence of third parties that behave like pressure groups by offering campaign support, ideological authenticity and an extra line on the ballot to the major party that takes similar positions on policy issues to its own, or is the most proactive in pandering to the concerns of the minor party. The Working Families Party, in particular, almost never puts forward its own candidates to seek election to office. Its party leaders are primarily lobbyists on behalf of progressive causes. It has less than 100 registered party members in Connecticut, where it is nonetheless very active.

I understand a (democratic) political party to be an organization of like-minded people who seek to take political power by promoting the election of its own members, with the understanding that those members will, if elected, generally work to produce public policy acceptable to the party, according to their ideological worldview. This is something of an old-fashioned definition of political partisanship, derived from reading Duverger, V.O. Key and Schattschneider, but I don't think it's enough to label a pressure group as a "party" simply because it wishes to be acknowledged as such by having secured ballot access. The work of the Working Families Party is, in particular, qualitatively far more similar to that of the NRA, AARP or the SEIU than it is to that of the Democratic Party. It is, however, interesting to consider whether political parties, in the presence of electoral fusion and in an atmosphere of weak political ideology, become creatures quite unlike those which the classical definition predicts and imagines.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2014, 11:34:50 AM »

nonetheless, New York third parties do from time to time run their own candidates. the Conservative Party even elected a United States Senator in the 1970s
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2014, 11:37:54 AM »

what are the averages? I vuagely remember reading something like 1.9 fir the US and 2.4 for UK, Canada somewhere in between>

Nation wide ENP

Canada: 3.43
US (House): 2.15
UK: 3.72

Constituency Average:

Canada: 2.58
US (House): 1.84
UK: 2.96
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2014, 12:10:10 PM »

nonetheless, New York third parties do from time to time run their own candidates. the Conservative Party even elected a United States Senator in the 1970s

And the Conservative Party nearly elected Doug Hoffman in the 23rd CD in 2009 when the GOP abandoned Scozzafava. Third parties sometimes do have success with their own candidates, but it usually takes a major intra-party rift to cause would-be Republican or Democratic voters to move in large numbers to support a minor party. My point is merely that political parties don't just "from time to time run their own candidates" - they do it all the time, every election, from the local level to the national. That's the reason for their existence. It's obviously very difficult to do that in the USA unless you're the Republicans or the Democrats, but the effort put into campaigning on their party's candidates' own behalf, year after year, sets the Greens and Libertarians well apart from the Working Families and Conservatives.
palandio

« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2014, 01:50:35 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2014, 03:01:35 PM by palandio »

If you have Indian shapefiles, please send!
I'm sorry, I don't. Maybe Comrade Sibboleth has. At least he posted a blank map in the India 2014 thread.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2014, 02:20:40 PM »

A similar map for France would be very interesting (on first round results).

Some shapefiles: http://www.laspic.eu/circos-shp
http://www.joelgombin.fr/un-fonds-de-carte-vectoriel-pour-les-circonscriptions-legislatives/

Data: http://www.data.gouv.fr/fr/dataset/elections-legislatives-2012-resultats-572077 (under the tab Circo leg T1)
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2014, 02:48:53 PM »

Is it safe for me to assume that the attribute field "IDEN" is a concatination of the Department Number and the Constituency Number?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies