Sen. Franken on the Roberts Court caving to corporations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:56:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Sen. Franken on the Roberts Court caving to corporations
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sen. Franken on the Roberts Court caving to corporations  (Read 1284 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2010, 03:19:21 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLwuMPilDB0

I think what he had to say was spot on, and I'm glad he is making the judicial activism of the Roberts court one of his bigger issues in the senate.

We need to reign in the activism of the court that is ignoring a century of precedent to overturn laws and redefine interpretations of our constitution.

It is clear to me that the court has become strongly politically charged and that no longer is the court the last line of defense in upholding the rights of the American people.  It has seemed, as of late, to have become the line of defense of the corporations against the American people.

Mostly I just never ever want to hear conservatives utter the words "liberal activist judge" without quickly following it up with "and I'm a big hypocrite".
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 03:40:16 PM »

I think what he had to say was spot on, and I'm glad he is making the judicial activism of the Roberts court one of his bigger issues in the senate.

We need to reign in the activism of the court that is ignoring a century of precedent to overturn laws and redefine interpretations of our constitution.

It is clear to me that the court has become strongly politically charged and that no longer is the court the last line of defense in upholding the rights of the American people.  It has seemed, as of late, to have become the line of defense of the corporations against the American people.

Mostly I just never ever want to hear conservatives utter the words "liberal activist judge" without quickly following it up with "and I'm a big hypocrite".

Any sane person knows that both sides are activist.

Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 04:07:26 PM »

Any sane person knows that both sides are activist.

Which is why we need willfully independent judges.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:36:16 PM »

activist judge n.
    1. Any judge who issues an opinion contrary to that held by the person labeling the judge as activist.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 12:09:17 AM »

activist judge n.
    1. Any judge who issues an opinion contrary to that held by the person labeling the judge as activist.

I think when a judge overturns nearly 100 years or precedent to give huge power to the corporations to basically buy elections, that is judicial activism.

How about instead of taking the beat to death "i'm an Independent.. both sides are horrible and EVERYTHING they say is baseless" position....

Perhaps you could point out where in the video Al Franken makes unsubstantiated and false claims of judicial activism by the Roberts court?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 12:28:30 AM »

How about instead of taking the beat to death "i'm an Independent.. both sides are horrible and EVERYTHING they say is baseless" position....

Perhaps you could point out where in the video Al Franken makes unsubstantiated and false claims of judicial activism by the Roberts court?
That assumes I'm going to bother looking at the video, which I'm not.  In any event, if he's referring to the case I'm assuming he is, the court made the correct decision.  I don't see how any law that muzzles in all circumstances whatsoever, "... the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances" simply because they assembled as a corporation can be constitutional.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 03:27:58 AM »

activist judge n.

I think when a judge overturns nearly 100 years or precedent to give huge power to the corporations to basically buy elections, that is judicial activism.

Because corporations haven't already been deciding our elections for the past 100 years and beyond...?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 12:33:31 AM »

activist judge n.

Because corporations haven't already been deciding our elections for the past 100 years and beyond...?
So all the more reason to give them more power and make their election buying legal and legitimate! Roll Eyes
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 01:15:15 PM »

activist judge n.

So all the more reason to give them more power and make their election buying legal and legitimate! Roll Eyes

LOL if you think this court decision is going to have any effect at all on corporate control over the U.S. government.

The fact that President Goldman Sac...I mean Barack Obama has been grand-standing against this court ruling should tell you all you need to know.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies