Former White House of Purple State/Marokai Blue
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:49:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Former White House of Purple State/Marokai Blue
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: Former White House of Purple State/Marokai Blue  (Read 24160 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2010, 03:41:22 PM »

Mr President, I ask that you replace Al as the GM. He hasn't had an update in almost three weeks, despite being active elsewhere on the forum. I know he had good intentions, but he has failed.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2010, 07:36:02 PM »

Announcement

I'm back and ready for action. Thank you for serving VP Blue and best wishes to you and your grandfather.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2010, 07:47:02 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2010, 07:49:04 PM by The Demon's Façade »

Mr. President

The Senate has passed the Foreign Policy Review Act

-NC Yankee,
Demon PPT from Hell
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #128 on: September 13, 2010, 09:46:37 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=120888.msg2647415#msg2647415

I hope that the meaning is clear enough and that no further paperwork will be required. Overall the problems were what they were, but I hope that some of the individual pieces were fun to read, if nothing else. But the position either needs re-thinking or finding someone willing to put in a lot of hours for relatively little reward and I can't do that here now.

Good luck and all that. Hopefully you'll find the reference amusing.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2010, 09:51:32 PM »

Mr. President

The Senate has passed the Foreign Policy Review Act

-NC Yankee,
Demon PPT from Hell

Damn, I just hate putting all those pieces into one for wiki :/
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2010, 10:36:03 PM »

Speech Regarding the Position of Game Moderator

My fellow gamers,

Over the course of my term as President of this nation, I have found it difficult, neigh impossible, to keep one major promise that I made during the campaign. When asked repeatedly whether I could maintain the same level of activity by the GM as I had displayed during my time in the position, I answered time and time again that it would be done, that someone would step into the void and fill my shoes.

I was wrong and I apologize.

With Al's resignation as GM, I find my administration in a moment of mini-crisis. Though I have, over the past two months, sought to devolve certain powers and responsibilities from the less active GM, such as the monitoring of foreign events, it is not possible to actually make up for a woefully inactive GM. As such, the game has struggled to advance a coherent narrative that had started just a few months prior.

There is little else I can say on this matter. I have failed to uphold a standard of the utmost importance to the nation and to myself. And so now I announce an open application period for all those interested in picking up the mantle of GM where I laid it down just over two months ago. For now, please send a simple message of interest to me and I will follow up with each applicant individually.

Thank you.

~PS
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2010, 06:14:19 PM »

You mean, Al didn't do anything and then resigned?!?! I'm shocked!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2010, 06:40:18 PM »

I have a life, you know. I can recommend getting one; much more fun than the alternative.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2010, 07:42:56 PM »

I have a life, you know. I can recommend getting one; much more fun than the alternative.

Most Time Online
Sibboleth         481d 5h 6m
Tie a Rope to the Back of the Bus       399d 4h 59m
Alcon       347d 21h 1m
Gabu       295d 20h 13m
Lunar       276d 10h 44m
bullmoose88       276d 5h 15m
Darth PiT, Imperial Speaker       260d 2h 0m
HatesRights       257d 6h 32m
Mr. Morden       245d 21h 9m
WalterMitty       224d 7h 12m
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2010, 07:43:28 PM »

Most Time Online
Sibboleth         481d 5h 6m
Tie a Rope to the Back of the Bus       399d 4h 59m
Alcon       347d 21h 1m
Gabu       295d 20h 13m
Lunar       276d 10h 44m
bullmoose88       276d 5h 15m
Darth PiT, Imperial Speaker       260d 2h 0m
HatesRights       257d 6h 32m
Mr. Morden       245d 21h 9m
WalterMitty       224d 7h 12m

Cheesy
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2010, 10:09:14 PM »

Once again, we gain further proof of the need for reformation of the GM position. We've been talking about it on and off since I first started in Atlasia... This is further proof that only certain talents can handle the job as it's so data driven. The job should be storyline focused with only a smattering need for data.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2010, 10:41:48 PM »

Once again, we gain further proof of the need for reformation of the GM position. We've been talking about it on and off since I first started in Atlasia... This is further proof that only certain talents can handle the job as it's so data driven. The job should be storyline focused with only a smattering need for data.

There is nothing that prevents that from being done right now. There are certain basic data we need but we aren't even getting that. We need both. The problem isn't one of too much data, and no story lines. The problem is no data and no storylines. There is nothing stopping the GM from creating a story line, except percieved fear from the public that its not wanted or will be ignored. Legislation will not fix that. My advice to PS back in the day was to ignore it to go ahead anyway and he caved on it and that was the last really we saw of any attempt at a big storyline. Create the data, then incomporate it into a broad overall storyline.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2010, 10:42:30 PM »

I disagree, we need someone who can give us data or much of what we do is pointless.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2010, 10:45:24 PM »

I disagree, we need someone who can give us data or much of what we do is pointless.

Agreed. Storylines are good, but they won't make sense without at least some basic data. I don't want the Senate to deal with completely absurd and fantastical storylines that make no sense or anything like that.

I don't really see, like Yankee, what's so difficult with just some simple sets of data once in awhile. It's really not too much to ask for, even if I do understand why people don't want to do it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2010, 10:59:09 PM »

Agreed. Storylines are good, but they won't make sense without at least some basic data. I don't want the Senate to deal with completely absurd and fantastical storylines that make no sense or anything like that.

I don't really see, like Yankee, what's so difficult with just some simple sets of data once in awhile. It's really not too much to ask for, even if I do understand why people don't want to do it.

I love it when I post long responses, no one ever understands what the hell I am saying.

No, I am fine with the most wild and fantastic stories and I said back in the day that PS should have the complete freedom to post whatever the hell he wanted, while YOU said no, Mr. Bluey. I want what I proposed to Al, essentially, fill out every three months the entire economics section of the CIA World Factbook from any country, preferably the US, since the categories will be the closest as will most of the data. Then the GM should be able to make up a storyline as creative and bold as he wants to explain why changes occurred, to deal with not economic events, and add some interesting twist and current events. Its pretty damn hard to do Foreign policy with a bunch of percentages and random numbers. Hence why Hashy and Ben have ran into solid brick walls as the damn SoEA.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2010, 10:59:43 PM »

The position of GM is a tough job. I'm not sure very many people appreciate the energy and the level of sustained motivation that is needed to be effective in that job. The expertise and experience needed from an all-game perspective to be able to produce relevant data and story lines for the national, regional, international and economic aspects of the game is quite awing.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2010, 11:01:21 PM »

Executive Action

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I sign,
~PS
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2010, 11:03:59 PM »

Good lord, I am sandwiched between MB and Dr. Cynic. Well as George C Scott said as Patton, if asked what he would do with the Germans on one side and the Russians on the other, "I will attack in both directions".

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: September 14, 2010, 11:04:35 PM »

Certainly the amount of data needed to create compelling storylines is minimal.

Unemployment.
Positive\Negative Growth.
Inflation number.
"General Polling"

National and for each region. That's it. I remember when the GM was responsible for a whole budget which really hurt the position as a whole. Data and statistics can be gotten by on minimals unless you have a data driven GM, and there aren't many of them out there. That's all I'm talking about.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #144 on: September 14, 2010, 11:07:10 PM »

I love it when I post long responses, no one ever understands what the hell I am saying.

No, I am fine with the most wild and fantastic stories and I said back in the day that PS should have the complete freedom to post whatever the hell he wanted, while YOU said no, Mr. Bluey. I want what I proposed to Al, essentially, fill out every three months the entire economics section of the CIA World Factbook from any country, preferably the US, since the categories will be the closest as will most of the data. Then the GM should be able to make up a storyline as creative and bold as he wants to explain why changes occurred, to deal with not economic events, and add some interesting twist and current events. Its pretty damn hard to do Foreign policy with a bunch of percentages and random numbers. Hence why Hashy and Ben have ran into solid brick walls as the damn SoEA.

I am perfectly fine with storylines. I just want something to actually make sense and be remotely feasible. I got a little.. well, miffed, when the whole "bombing in New Mexico" story came up, but I still played along as a Senator and worked to improve a reconstruction effort as best I could.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2010, 11:08:25 PM »

Unemployment.
Inflation number.
"General Polling"

National and for each region. That's it. I remember when the GM was responsible for a whole budget which really hurt the position as a whole. Data and statistics can be gotten by on minimals unless you have a data driven GM, and there aren't many of them out there. That's all I'm talking about.

We had more then that and we technically still would have had the "storylines" if MB and the anti-story line forces had stayed out of it.

One doesn't take away from the other. The problem here certainly has nothing to do with too much of one versus the other. Its activity in anything period.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: September 14, 2010, 11:18:32 PM »

Unemployment.
Inflation number.
"General Polling"

We had more then that and we technically still would have had the "storylines" if MB and the anti-story line forces had stayed out of it.

One doesn't take away from the other. The problem here certainly has nothing to do with too much of one versus the other. Its activity in anything period.

My point is that the more detailed the data you want, the harder it's going to be to keep your stamina up to do it. Like I said, if I had the job, that's what I'd do. Those would be the numbers you got. As far as with the storylines, I know that's a job I could do, since I'm almost exclusively just writing a story on the forum now with the Americana thread. If the President interviewed me for the job, I would tell him exactly that. The numbers would come out once every week regionally and once a month nationally (barring significant storyline dealing with numbers such as unemployment, etc.) You'd get at least one new storyline a day and an undetermined number of articles on said storyline depending on importance and reaction. That's what I'd personally do with the job and whatever anyone else would do is fine, but like I said, the burnout often comes from the numbers at least it has traditionally in the past. Personally, I'd have a hell of a fun time with the stories because writing is in my background. Now, that's all the point I was making.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2010, 11:27:48 PM »

The stories don't have to be fantastical.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2010, 11:28:52 PM »

As long as they're compelling, who cares either way?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #149 on: September 16, 2010, 12:28:46 AM »

As long as they're compelling, who cares either way?

The Vice President has certainly made an issue of it.

Unemployment.
Inflation number.
"General Polling"

My point is that the more detailed the data you want, the harder it's going to be to keep your stamina up to do it. Like I said, if I had the job, that's what I'd do. Those would be the numbers you got. As far as with the storylines, I know that's a job I could do, since I'm almost exclusively just writing a story on the forum now with the Americana thread. If the President interviewed me for the job, I would tell him exactly that. The numbers would come out once every week regionally and once a month nationally (barring significant storyline dealing with numbers such as unemployment, etc.) You'd get at least one new storyline a day and an undetermined number of articles on said storyline depending on importance and reaction. That's what I'd personally do with the job and whatever anyone else would do is fine, but like I said, the burnout often comes from the numbers at least it has traditionally in the past. Personally, I'd have a hell of a fun time with the stories because writing is in my background. Now, that's all the point I was making.

I think that would be great, but in my opinion if you have an established structure set up and once you get it started it wouldn't be very difficult to do something like I suggested, 4 times a year.

We need action to get the game moving and stir interest. The Storylines provide that. The responses and new policy made by the policy wonks need data and in some cases in large amounts. Yet surely, the Pro-data people must release the limits of stale percentages and certainly the pro-storyline people realize that without some info (and I think we would need more then what you have said you would provice, Dr. Cynic) we run into this problem where we are constantly not knowing how things are and what needs to be done. What are we spending on this? What is the condition of education? What is the budget for the NE? What are the reasons for our economic problems? Is there structural unemployment problems to be dealt with? Are people saving too much? Is there a savings glut? Do we have large trade deficit? Is the Atlasian dollar weakening or strengthing in value? What is the price of tin, related to zinc on the commodities markets? I hear these questions all the time and the answer is a shoulder shrug and the nothing happens. Each one of these, if answered, could have led to a bill, or a bunch of bills even. You can have a strong dollar movement get started. You can have a movement for protectionism get going if outsourcing is a problem. All of these things can generate activity.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies