Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 08:07:27 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government
| | |-+  Regional Governments (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | | |-+  Midwest Universal Alțing Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 62 Print
Author Topic: Midwest Universal Alțing Official Thread  (Read 51559 times)
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: June 08, 2011, 08:11:42 am »
Ignore

Grin

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #951 on: June 08, 2011, 10:00:07 am »
Ignore

You guys might want to update your wiki.  It would be a shame to have Barnes' Grin of a bill get lost in a megathread.

Goodbye
hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: June 08, 2011, 11:56:55 am »
Ignore

bill passes 5-0
Anybody here a AFE wiki editor?

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.  So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.-Jack Layton 1950-2011
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on-John F. Kennedy 1917-1963
hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: June 09, 2011, 11:40:57 am »
Ignore

Anybody here a AFE wiki editor?

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.  So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.-Jack Layton 1950-2011
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on-John F. Kennedy 1917-1963
Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #954 on: June 09, 2011, 11:45:28 am »
Ignore

PM AG Teddy and see if he can give you access.  I thought all regional executives had access?

Goodbye
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: June 09, 2011, 05:12:21 pm »
Ignore

PM AG Teddy and see if he can give you access.  I thought all regional executives had access?

I didn't when I ran this ship.
hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: June 10, 2011, 09:44:08 am »
Ignore

I am appointing Barnes (if he has wiki access) Official Midwest Wiki Editor

Barnes & Noble
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: June 10, 2011, 09:56:05 am »
Ignore

Thanks, Mr. PV. Oh lord, what a daunting task. Grin

--
Kalwejt
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #958 on: June 10, 2011, 11:41:45 am »
Ignore

Thanks, Mr. PV. Oh lord, what a daunting task. Grin

Back to the public duty Smiley
hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: June 11, 2011, 06:52:17 pm »
Ignore

Debate this

Third Midwest Constitution
Section I: The Alțing
1. The legislative body of the Midwest shall be the Midwest Universal Alțing, commonly know as the Alțing.
2. The Alțing is a universal body, and is thus composed of all registered citizens of the Midwest.
3. The Alțing may establish rules for its own proceedings, and with the concurrence of two-thirds of its voting number, suspend such rights of such members as it may deem appropriate, except in the case of voting on legislation.
4. The Alțing may elect a Presiding Verin pro tempore, who shall preside over the body in the case of the absence of the Prime Verin or Deputy Verin. The method of election, and the term of office, shall be determined by the Alțing.

Section II: The Verinship
1. The head of government of the Midwest shall be the Prime Verin, who is elected by the Alțing, and shall serve at its pleasure.
2. The Prime Verin shall preside over the Alțing, and be its official spokesperson.
3. The Deputy Verin shall be elected whenever there is also an election for Prime Verin.  The Deputy Verin shall preside over the Alțing in the case of the absence of the Prime Verin, and shall become Acting Prime Verin if the office is vacated.

Section III: Elections
1. The Prime Verin shall continue his verinship for so long as he shall retain the confidence of the Alțing. After 3 months in office, the Alțing must hold an election for the Prime Verinship.
2. When the office of Prime Verin is vacated, a new election shall take place within five days of the vacancy occurring.
3. During an election for the Verinship, all citizens of the Midwest shall be considered nominees for Prime and Deputy Verin unless they specifically say otherwise.
4. Voting shall occur in the Alțing thread.
5. The election shall last for seventy-two (72) hours. Voting will be preferential and counted by means of the Condorcet method.
6. Voters will be entitled to vote ‘None of the Above’ as per any other candidate. Should NOTA be deemed the winner of the election, nominations shall be re-opened but such candidates as lost to NOTA shall be disqualified from being nominated on that occasion.
7. Reasonable determination of voter intent shall apply in construing ballots for counting purposes.

Section IV: Motions of Confidence
1. When a confidence motion is proposed for or against an officer, it shall take precedence amongst the order of business of the Alțing
2. A motion must have the signatures of at least three (3) Midwest citizens.
3. If the Alțing resolves confidence in an officer, such citizens which may have proposed no confidence in the officer will be prohibited from proposing a further confidence motion against the same officer for a period of three (3) weeks.
4. The Deputy Verin shall have responsibility for the officiating of confidence motions brought against the Prime Verin.

Section V: The Judiciary
1. The Supreme Court of Atlasia shall be the judiciary of the Midwest Region.

Section VI: Amending Procedure
1. An amendment to this Constitution must be proposed in the Alțing and must have the signatures of at least five (5) citizens.
2. The proposed amendment shall then be debated in the Alțing like a regular piece of legislation.
3. Once debate has concluded, the Prime Verin shall open a separate voting booth for the approval or rejection of the amendment.  The booth shall stay open for five (5) days.
4. To be successfully approved, the amendment must be voted on by an absolute majority (50% + 1) of the registered Midwest population, and must have an absolute majority (50% + 1) of votes in favor.

ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: June 11, 2011, 10:10:21 pm »
Ignore

We need to have a clause in there saying we'll hold elections at least every six months, by order of the federal constitution.  Or, at least, that's what the federal constitution said at some point, because Midwesterners tried and failed to make me Governor-for-life.

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
In New Zealand for a conference and vacation through July 14th Smiley
Barnes & Noble
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: June 12, 2011, 01:58:33 pm »
Ignore

We need to have a clause in there saying we'll hold elections at least every six months, by order of the federal constitution.  Or, at least, that's what the federal constitution said at some point, because Midwesterners tried and failed to make me Governor-for-life.

Doesn't Part 1 of Section III already cover that?

--
Kalwejt
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #962 on: June 12, 2011, 02:31:46 pm »
Ignore

I think we deserved our own judiciary and I propose this:

1. The Midwest Supreme Court shall be the judiciary of the Midwest Region.
2. The Tribunal shall be composed of Chief Verin and two Associate Verins, all elected by the Althing for a period of maximum half of a year, with maximum length of an uninterrupted service shall be two years.
3. The Midwest Supreme Court verdicts can be appeal to the Supreme Court of Atlasia.
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: June 12, 2011, 02:41:13 pm »
Ignore

Doesn't Part 1 of Section III already cover that?

Oh, whoops, I was looking for that part.

2. The Tribunal shall be composed of Chief Verin and two Associate Verins, all elected by the Althing for a period of maximum half of a year, with maximum length of an uninterrupted service shall be two years.
3. The Midwest Supreme Court verdicts can be appeal to the Supreme Court of Atlasia.

To my knowledge, the Midwest has never had a court case.

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Barnes & Noble
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: June 12, 2011, 02:42:37 pm »
Ignore

To my knowledge, the Midwest has never had a court case.
[/quote]

Yeah.  While having our own Court would be kind of cool. I seriously don't think they would ever have anything to do.

Barnes & Noble
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: June 12, 2011, 04:01:22 pm »
Ignore

Also, do y'all think that the amendment section is too strict? I just don't think we should have constitutional amendments being approved with literally ONE person voting.

ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: June 12, 2011, 10:22:15 pm »
Ignore

I think we should officially designate someone as ballot counter.  Do we want to give this responsibility to the Deputy Verin, to give them something to do?

Also, do y'all think that the amendment section is too strict? I just don't think we should have constitutional amendments being approved with literally ONE person voting.

I agree, but I think it does look a little strict, right now.  At the very least, I think we want to equalize the "vote of confidence" and "amendment introduction" signature numbers.  Perhaps mandate at least 33% turnout?  How many citizens do we have now?

Here's an idea for a Preamble:

We the people of the Midwest Region recognize the necessity of a codified constitution for the formation of civilized governance, and do hereby promulgate the following constitution, created to form a government capable of championing the rights and liberties of the Midwestern people, to reflect the international importance of the Region for which it is designed, and to safeguard the uniqueness and independence of the Midwest Region.

Barnes & Noble
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 12, 2011, 11:36:23 pm »
Ignore

I think we should officially designate someone as ballot counter.  Do we want to give this responsibility to the Deputy Verin, to give them something to do?

I think giving the Deputy Verin that responsibility would be fine.

Amendment:
Section III

4. Voting shall occur in the Alțing thread.  The election shall be conducted by the Deputy Verin, who shall be responsible for counting the ballots ast the colse of the election.  If the Deputy Verin is unable or unwilling to conduct the election, the Prime Verin shall be empowered to appoint another Midwest Citsen to conduct the election.

I agree, but I think it does look a little strict, right now.  At the very least, I think we want to equalize the "vote of confidence" and "amendment introduction" signature numbers.  Perhaps mandate at least 33% turnout?  How many citizens do we have now?

The current populate (per the RG) is 24, so one-third of that would be seven. I think that's good enough.

Amendment:
Section VI

4. To be successfully approved, the amendment must be voted on by an absolute majority (50% + 1) of the registered Midwest population one-third of the registered Midwest population at the time of the opening of the voting booth, and must have an absolute majority (50% + 1) of votes in favor.

Amendment:
Preamble:

We the people of the Midwest Region recognize the necessity of a codified constitution for the formation of civilized governance, and do hereby promulgate the following constitution, created to form a government capable of championing the rights and liberties of the Midwestern people, to reflect the international importance of the Region for which it is designed, and to safeguard the uniqueness and independence of the Midwest Region.

All amendments are friendly, so they be inserted immediately. Grin

hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 12, 2011, 11:57:07 pm »
Ignore

I think giving the Deputy Verin that responsibility would be fine.

Amendment:
Section III

4. Voting shall occur in the Alțing thread.  The election shall be conducted by the Deputy Verin, who shall be responsible for counting the ballots ast the colse of the election.  If the Deputy Verin is unable or unwilling to conduct the election, the Prime Verin shall be empowered to appoint another Midwest Citsen to conduct the election.

The current populate (per the RG) is 24, so one-third of that would be seven. I think that's good enough.

Amendment:
Section VI

4. To be successfully approved, the amendment must be voted on by an absolute majority (50% + 1) of the registered Midwest population one-third of the registered Midwest population at the time of the opening of the voting booth, and must have an absolute majority (50% + 1) of votes in favor.

Amendment:
Preamble:

All amendments are friendly, so they be inserted immediately. Grin
Good! *hughughug*

Barnes & Noble
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 13, 2011, 09:18:52 pm »
Ignore

I propose a friendly amendment:

Amendment:
Section III
8. The Prime Verin and Deputy Verin shall take office immediately after the certification of the election results.

I don't accept Kal's Amendment as friendly, so shouldn't we vote on it?

hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 13, 2011, 11:53:25 pm »
Ignore

Barnes & Noble
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: June 14, 2011, 09:27:24 am »
Ignore

Angry

hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 14, 2011, 09:36:25 am »
Ignore

Sad

ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: June 14, 2011, 09:49:34 am »
Ignore

Angry

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 14, 2011, 12:28:43 pm »
Ignore

Angry

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 62 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout