Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 08:17:54 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government
| | |-+  Regional Governments (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | | |-+  Midwest Universal Alțing Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 62 Print
Author Topic: Midwest Universal Alțing Official Thread  (Read 53730 times)
How Erg the Self-Inductor Slew a Paleface
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: June 14, 2011, 02:16:46 pm »
Ignore

I forgot to withdraw this, so in order to make it easier

Angry
hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 14, 2011, 02:27:26 pm »
Ignore

amendment fails 0-5

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.  So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.- Jack Layton (1950-2011)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.74, S: -6.87

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: June 14, 2011, 07:37:33 pm »
Ignore

I bring gifts of more amendments! Grin

Big Note: I kind of feel like I'm dominating the amending process, so, in the spirit of universalism, I'm not accepting any of my amendments as friendly so that we can all vote on them. Cheesy

Amendment #1:
Section I
4. The Alțing may elect a Presiding Verin Officer pro tempore, who shall preside over the body in the case of the absence of the Prime Verin or Deputy Verin. The method of election, and the term of office, shall be determined by the Alțing.

Since the position of Presiding Officer pro tempore already exists, it would be kind of pointless to create the exact same position with just another name. Grin

Amendment #2:
Section II

4. The Prime Verin shall serve no more than two terms, consecutively.

This is already in statute, but I forgot about it when I wrote the original draft. Grin I did, however, change the wording from "three consecutive terms" to "no more than two terms, consecutively."

Amendment #3:
Section III: Verinous Offices

1. The Prime Verin may appoint such officers, and may delegate such executive responsibilities to such officers, as he may deem appropriate.
2. All such appointments shall be made with the advice and consent of the Alțing.
3. Any such appointed officer shall continue to serve until such time as they may lose the confidence of the Prime Verin or the Alțing.
NOTE: This creates a new Section III, so all sections after it should be renumbered accordingly.  Grin

Again, this is already on the statute, but was left out of this draft. 

Amendment #4
Section VI

To be successfully approved, the amendment must be voted on by one-third of the registered Midwest population at the time of the opening of the voting booth, and must have an absolute majority (50% + 1) three-fifths of the votes in favor.
NOTE: The numbering being used for this section is what it currently stands at.  If Amendment #3 is approved, this entire section would change to Section VII.

This makes passing a constitutional amendment slightly more difficult, raising the needed threshold from over 50% to at least 60%.

Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: June 15, 2011, 07:22:13 am »
Ignore

I oppose term limits.
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: June 15, 2011, 09:38:48 am »
Ignore

Amendment #1: I'm not sure what this accomplishes, then.  Certainly we want to use the sillier name in all circumstances!

Amentment #2:

I oppose term limits.

Me too.

Amendment #3: I think we should scrap the US Constitution's rather ambiguous "advice and consent", and just say that there needs to be a vote of the Alțing.

Amendment #4: The 50%+1 clause in the Constitution was created when we weren't a universalist region, to make it easier to pass amendments (though I believe they were still somewhat more difficult to pass then random initiatives; IIRC, the Gov. couldn't tiebreak to get it passed and couldn't bring it to a vote on their own).  I'm fine putting it back at 60%, now that everyone can vote.

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: June 15, 2011, 10:30:40 am »
Ignore

You're right about #1, ilikeverin, the sillier the better!

I withdraw Amendment #1

I'm not crazy about term limits, either. But, that language was in Jas's original bill, so I didn't feel right taking it out. We can vote on it and see what the rest of the region thinks! Grin

I'd like to amend my amendment.
Amendment #3:

1. The Prime Verin may appoint such officers, and may delegate such executive responsibilities to such officers, as he may deem appropriate.
2. All such appointments shall be approved by a vote of the Alțing.
3. Any such appointed officer shall continue to serve until such time as they may lose the confidence of the Prime Verin or the Alțing.

Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 15, 2011, 11:59:38 am »
Ignore

Since the position of Presiding Officer pro tempore already exists, it would be kind of pointless to create the exact same position with just another name. Grin

Yes, but it's existing only due to regular act. I feel we should include this to the constitution.

And maybe we should have better name? Verin pro tempore, perhaps? Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 16, 2011, 01:25:46 pm »
Ignore

I think we should vote on the Amendments, now.  Remember, #1 was withdrawn, and #3 was amended in my last post.

hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 17, 2011, 06:06:50 pm »
Ignore

vote on amendments 2,3,and 4
2: Sad
3: Cheesy
4: Cheesy

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.  So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.- Jack Layton (1950-2011)
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: June 17, 2011, 06:24:42 pm »
Ignore

vote on amendments 2,3,and 4
2: Sad
3: Cheesy
4: Cheesy

^^^
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: June 17, 2011, 07:36:17 pm »
Ignore

2: Angry
3: Grin
4: Grin

ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: June 18, 2011, 10:37:15 am »
Ignore

2: Angry
3: Grin
4: Grin

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 18, 2011, 10:39:56 am »
Ignore

2-fails 0-4
3. passes 4-0
4. Passes 4-0

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: June 24, 2011, 10:45:17 am »
Ignore

Come on, guys.  No debate in here at all for five days?  Let's get back to work! Grin

hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 24, 2011, 10:53:34 am »
Ignore

Hello, anyone, other than Barnes? Any proposals? Put it in the introducing thread.

ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: June 24, 2011, 02:29:37 pm »
Ignore

We're still debating the new constitution, are we not?

Barnes, do you want to give us the most up-to-date version?  I know there's not too many changes, but that way we don't accidentally approve an out-of-date version Tongue

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: June 24, 2011, 08:39:39 pm »
Ignore

Third Midwest Constitution

We the people of the Midwest Region recognize the necessity of a codified constitution for the formation of civilized governance, and do hereby promulgate the following constitution, created to form a government capable of championing the rights and liberties of the Midwestern people, to reflect the international importance of the Region for which it is designed, and to safeguard the uniqueness and independence of the Midwest Region.

Section I: The Alțing
1. The legislative body of the Midwest shall be the Midwest Universal Alțing, commonly know as the Alțing.
2. The Alțing is a universal body, and is thus composed of all registered citizens of the Midwest.
3. The Alțing may establish rules for its own proceedings, and with the concurrence of two-thirds of its voting number, suspend such rights of such members as it may deem appropriate, except in the case of voting on legislation.
4. The Alțing may elect a Presiding Verin pro tempore, who shall preside over the body in the case of the absence of the Prime Verin or Deputy Verin. The method of election, and the term of office, shall be determined by the Alțing.

Section II: The Verinship
1. The head of government of the Midwest shall be the Prime Verin, who is elected by the Alțing, and shall serve at its pleasure.
2. The Prime Verin shall preside over the Alțing, and be its official spokesperson.
3. The Deputy Verin shall be elected whenever there is also an election for Prime Verin.  The Deputy Verin shall preside over the Alțing in the case of the absence of the Prime Verin, and shall become Acting Prime Verin if the office is vacated.

Section IV: Elections

1. The Prime Verin shall continue his verinship for so long as he shall retain the confidence of the Alțing. After 3 months in office, the Alțing must hold an election for the Prime Verinship.
2. When the office of Prime Verin is vacated, a new election shall take place within five days of the vacancy occurring.
3. During an election for the Verinship, all citizens of the Midwest shall be considered nominees for Prime and Deputy Verin unless they specifically say otherwise.
4. Voting shall occur in the Alțing thread.  The election shall be conducted by the Deputy Verin, who shall be responsible for counting the ballots ast the colse of the election.  If the Deputy Verin is unable or unwilling to conduct the election, the Prime Verin shall be empowered to appoint another Midwest Citsen to conduct the election.
5. The election shall last for seventy-two (72) hours. Voting will be preferential and counted by means of the Condorcet method.
6. Voters will be entitled to vote ‘None of the Above’ as per any other candidate. Should NOTA be deemed the winner of the election, nominations shall be re-opened but such candidates as lost to NOTA shall be disqualified from being nominated on that occasion.
7. Reasonable determination of voter intent shall apply in construing ballots for counting purposes.
8. The Prime Verin and Deputy Verin shall take office immediately after the certification of the election results.

Section V: Motions of Confidence
1. When a confidence motion is proposed for or against an officer, it shall take precedence amongst the order of business of the Alțing
2. A motion must have the signatures of at least three (3) Midwest citizens.
3. If the Alțing resolves confidence in an officer, such citizens which may have proposed no confidence in the officer will be prohibited from proposing a further confidence motion against the same officer for a period of three (3) weeks.
4. The Deputy Verin shall have responsibility for the officiating of confidence motions brought against the Prime Verin.

Section VI: The Judiciary
1. The Supreme Court of Atlasia shall be the judiciary of the Midwest Region.

Section VII: Amending Procedure

1. An amendment to this Constitution must be proposed in the Alțing and must have the signatures of at least five (5) citizens.
2. The proposed amendment shall then be debated in the Alțing like a regular piece of legislation.
3. Once debate has concluded, the Prime Verin shall open a separate voting booth for the approval or rejection of the amendment.  The booth shall stay open for five (5) days.
4. To be successfully approved, the amendment must be voted on by an absolute majority (50% + 1) of the registered Midwest population, and three-fifths of the votes in favor.

hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: June 24, 2011, 08:57:55 pm »
Ignore

should we put it to a vote?

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: June 25, 2011, 12:02:31 am »
Ignore

should we put it to a vote?

If no one has any more amendments then I think we should.

hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: June 25, 2011, 11:38:50 am »
Ignore

Third Midwest Constitution

We the people of the Midwest Region recognize the necessity of a codified constitution for the formation of civilized governance, and do hereby promulgate the following constitution, created to form a government capable of championing the rights and liberties of the Midwestern people, to reflect the international importance of the Region for which it is designed, and to safeguard the uniqueness and independence of the Midwest Region.

Section I: The Alțing
1. The legislative body of the Midwest shall be the Midwest Universal Alțing, commonly know as the Alțing.
2. The Alțing is a universal body, and is thus composed of all registered citizens of the Midwest.
3. The Alțing may establish rules for its own proceedings, and with the concurrence of two-thirds of its voting number, suspend such rights of such members as it may deem appropriate, except in the case of voting on legislation.
4. The Alțing may elect a Presiding Verin pro tempore, who shall preside over the body in the case of the absence of the Prime Verin or Deputy Verin. The method of election, and the term of office, shall be determined by the Alțing.

Section II: The Verinship
1. The head of government of the Midwest shall be the Prime Verin, who is elected by the Alțing, and shall serve at its pleasure.
2. The Prime Verin shall preside over the Alțing, and be its official spokesperson.
3. The Deputy Verin shall be elected whenever there is also an election for Prime Verin.  The Deputy Verin shall preside over the Alțing in the case of the absence of the Prime Verin, and shall become Acting Prime Verin if the office is vacated.

Section IV: Elections

1. The Prime Verin shall continue his verinship for so long as he shall retain the confidence of the Alțing. After 3 months in office, the Alțing must hold an election for the Prime Verinship.
2. When the office of Prime Verin is vacated, a new election shall take place within five days of the vacancy occurring.
3. During an election for the Verinship, all citizens of the Midwest shall be considered nominees for Prime and Deputy Verin unless they specifically say otherwise.
4. Voting shall occur in the Alțing thread.  The election shall be conducted by the Deputy Verin, who shall be responsible for counting the ballots ast the colse of the election.  If the Deputy Verin is unable or unwilling to conduct the election, the Prime Verin shall be empowered to appoint another Midwest Citsen to conduct the election.
5. The election shall last for seventy-two (72) hours. Voting will be preferential and counted by means of the Condorcet method.
6. Voters will be entitled to vote ‘None of the Above’ as per any other candidate. Should NOTA be deemed the winner of the election, nominations shall be re-opened but such candidates as lost to NOTA shall be disqualified from being nominated on that occasion.
7. Reasonable determination of voter intent shall apply in construing ballots for counting purposes.
8. The Prime Verin and Deputy Verin shall take office immediately after the certification of the election results.

Section V: Motions of Confidence
1. When a confidence motion is proposed for or against an officer, it shall take precedence amongst the order of business of the Alțing
2. A motion must have the signatures of at least three (3) Midwest citizens.
3. If the Alțing resolves confidence in an officer, such citizens which may have proposed no confidence in the officer will be prohibited from proposing a further confidence motion against the same officer for a period of three (3) weeks.
4. The Deputy Verin shall have responsibility for the officiating of confidence motions brought against the Prime Verin.

Section VI: The Judiciary
1. The Supreme Court of Atlasia shall be the judiciary of the Midwest Region.

Section VII: Amending Procedure

1. An amendment to this Constitution must be proposed in the Alțing and must have the signatures of at least five (5) citizens.
2. The proposed amendment shall then be debated in the Alțing like a regular piece of legislation.
3. Once debate has concluded, the Prime Verin shall open a separate voting booth for the approval or rejection of the amendment.  The booth shall stay open for five (5) days.
4. To be successfully approved, the amendment must be voted on by an absolute majority (50% + 1) of the registered Midwest population, and three-fifths of the votes in favor.

Please Vote
Cheesy

Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: June 25, 2011, 01:34:10 pm »
Ignore

Cheesy
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: June 25, 2011, 01:41:41 pm »
Ignore

Cheesy
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: June 25, 2011, 02:10:24 pm »
Ignore

Grin

ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: June 26, 2011, 10:59:10 pm »
Ignore

Grin

hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: June 27, 2011, 08:42:22 pm »
Ignore

The Third Midwest Constitution has passed 5-0

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 62 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout