Howard Dean/Barack Obama (D) vs Ted Stevens/Billy Mays (R) in a Gore wins univer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:18:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  Howard Dean/Barack Obama (D) vs Ted Stevens/Billy Mays (R) in a Gore wins univer
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Howard Dean/Barack Obama (D) vs Ted Stevens/Billy Mays (R) in a Gore wins univer  (Read 3106 times)
Zacoftheaxes
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.52, S: -9.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2010, 07:01:53 PM »

Al Gore is elected president in 2000, there is still a war in Afghanistan, but it is going better. There is no war in Iraq but we're supporting the Saudi Arabia government in a civil war against a very well organized terrorist group. There is a slight recession, but it's nowhere near as bad as it is in our timeline. John McCain/Eric Cantor lose narrowly in 2004. Ted Stevens does not have his scandal. Billy Mays is the current governor of Pennsylvania in 2008. Who wins?

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 10:34:59 PM »

Since the recession is much less severe than in RL, Dean wins big. Will make a map later.
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 08:25:19 AM »

wouldn't stevens be like 80?
Zacoftheaxes
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 12:01:37 PM »

Yes, he would be.
Zacoftheaxes
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 08:58:45 PM »

Is the map coming?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 09:10:45 PM »

Dean/Obama-423 EV
Stevens/Mays-115 EV
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 04:37:01 PM »

Mays cushions the blow by picking off NH, NJ, and PA from the Dem column of '04.

Dean/Obama (D) 334
Stevens/Mays (R) 204
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 04:38:39 PM »

Mays cushions the blow by picking off NH, NJ, and PA from the Dem column of '04.

Dean/Obama (D) 334
Stevens/Mays (R) 204

No offense, but I can tell you're not very knowledgeable about politics if you have NJ, NH, and PA going to Stevens.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 04:47:59 PM »

Dean/Obama (D) 334
Stevens/Mays (R) 204

No offense, but I can tell you're not very knowledgeable about politics if you have NJ, NH, and PA going to Stevens.

As I said, Mays did the work in the Northeast.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 04:59:33 PM »

Dean/Obama (D) 334
Stevens/Mays (R) 204

Those states are still pretty Democratic and 2008 was a very Democratic year, and thus I don't see any VP pick making that large of an impact there.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 08:17:54 PM »

Dean/Obama (D) 334
Stevens/Mays (R) 204

Those states are still pretty Democratic and 2008 was a very Democratic year, and thus I don't see any VP pick making that large of an impact there.

Mays is Governor of Pennsylvania, and in RL New Hampshire is always close (mostly Democratic, but always close). And New Jersey was very close in 2004.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 02:55:13 PM »

Dean/Obama (D) 334
Stevens/Mays (R) 204

Mays is Governor of Pennsylvania, and in RL New Hampshire is always close (mostly Democratic, but always close). And New Jersey was very close in 2004.

Just because someone was Governor of a state doesn't mean he can necessarily deliver that state to his party. Kerry won both NH and NJ in a bad year for his party, so there's no way the Democrats lose those two states in a very good year for their party when Bush is massively unpopular.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 08:05:47 PM »

Dean/Obama (D) 334
Stevens/Mays (R) 204

Just because someone was Governor of a state doesn't mean he can necessarily deliver that state to his party. Kerry won both NH and NJ in a bad year for his party, so there's no way the Democrats lose those two states in a very good year for their party when Bush is massively unpopular.

Remember, this is in a Gore wins universe. It may be a good year for the Republicans, in a total reversal of RL
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 02:00:44 PM »

Dean/Obama (D) 334
Stevens/Mays (R) 204

Remember, this is in a Gore wins universe. It may be a good year for the Republicans, in a total reversal of RL

If the recession is much less severe than in RL and with the GOP running a very corrupt 85-year old, I really don't see 2008 being a good year for the GOP in this scenario.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 04:04:27 PM »

Dean/Obama (D) 334
Stevens/Mays (R) 204

If the recession is much less severe than in RL and with the GOP running a very corrupt 85-year old, I really don't see 2008 being a good year for the GOP in this scenario.

The scenario said that Stevens' scandal did not happen.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 04:07:16 PM »

Dean/Obama (D) 334
Stevens/Mays (R) 204

Sorry. Didn't see that. Well, Stevens's age would still hurt him a lot and I don't think many voters would view Mays as Presidential material.
Zacoftheaxes
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 11:05:14 PM »

Dean/Obama (D) 334
Stevens/Mays (R) 204

Sorry. Didn't see that. Well, Stevens's age would still hurt him a lot and I don't think many voters would view Mays as Presidential material.
Mays has been a governor in this timeline, and there are still two wars and a slight recession.

The only factor really hurting Stevens is his age.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 11:09:31 PM »

Dean/Obama (D) 334
Stevens/Mays (R) 204

Mays has been a governor in this timeline, and there are still two wars and a slight recession.

The only factor really hurting Stevens is his age.

The U.S. is involved in one war--Afghanistan. The Saudi Arabian war is between themselves. The U.S. supports the Saudi govt. but doesn't send troops there. Stevens's age would hurt him a lot, and Stevens had other corruption allegations even without the scandal. Also, Dean is much more charismatic than Stevens. Finally, if the recession is slight, I really don't think it will hurt the Democrats that much.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies