If Arlen Specter Had Stayed A Republican...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:00:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If Arlen Specter Had Stayed A Republican...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Arlen Specter Had Stayed A Republican...  (Read 881 times)
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 06, 2010, 04:31:21 PM »

If Arlen Specter had stayed a Republican, and by a fluke of the gods beat out Toomey for the GOP nomination (I know this is highly unrealistic, but please bear with me on this scenario), would he have lost to Joe Sestak in the general election?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 04:34:28 PM »

If Arlen Specter had stayed a Republican, and by a fluke of the gods beat out Toomey for the GOP nomination (I know this is highly unrealistic, but please bear with me on this scenario), would he have lost to Joe Sestak in the general election?

No, I think he would be in the same electoral position as Tommey, but a little better.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 04:37:22 PM »

Interesting question. I think yes, actually, if Sestak had positioned himself a bit differently, and assuming his candidacy buy out comments were not fatal in and of themselves. But clearly in hindsight certainly, Specter had a zero chance of beating Toomey. I mean, given the GOP incumbents who went down this cycle, Specter would have been totally fried - a fortiori.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »

If he had stayed a Republican and lost in the primary it would have been better for the Democrat in the race as Toomey wouldn't have been able to define himself as a moderate as he has done now. Specter would have tried to attack Toomey as much as he could have which would have hurt him for the general election.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 10:22:30 PM »

You would have had a Constitution Party candidate getting 10% of the vote.  Sestak MIGHT have had a better shot.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 10:33:33 PM »

Probably not, especially in this cycle.  Interestingly, he beat back a conservative challenger in 1986 in the primary and went of to defeat the Democratic congressman from Delaware County.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 10:44:31 PM »

I think Specter would have won this year in your scenario due to the massive GOP wave. Teabaggers would have reluctantly voted for him, while moderates would also have voted for Specter in large numbers as well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies