No civil unions in Hawaii again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:36:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  No civil unions in Hawaii again
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: No civil unions in Hawaii again  (Read 2398 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2010, 08:19:57 PM »

Linda Lingle is such a great and amazing and moderate and super person.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 08:43:54 PM »

Cuz she'll win reelection.  Is she hoping to move to Utah for a senate run?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 08:53:23 PM »

Eh, it's her last few months in office. Legacy!!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 09:00:50 PM »

Cuz she'll win reelection.  Is she hoping to move to Utah for a senate run?

Re-election to what?  Mayor of Maui?
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:09:07 PM »

The Democrats are a good bet to win the governors office. The new Governor will sign the bill next year.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 09:41:53 PM »

I'm straight and not allowed to marry someone of the same gender. Why should gays have preferential treatment and be allowed to do so?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 09:49:03 PM »

I'm straight and not allowed to marry someone of the same gender. Why should gays have preferential treatment and be allowed to do so?

Winner for weakest and lamest argument of the day.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 09:53:53 PM »

Calm down. We're fighting for your right to marry a man as well.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 10:16:44 PM »

Even by Derek standards, that is mind-numbingly stupid.

Lingle is a truly HP but take solace in that the next Democratic Governor will sign the bill.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 10:19:51 PM »

I don't know anything about Lingle, actually, is she an alleged moderate?  Is she secretly far-right?  What's her dealio, cause I have no clue?

Fake post, not sure who approved it past mod review.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 10:21:38 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2010, 12:57:26 AM by The extra ingredient is otter »

She's a joke "moderate" similar to people like Mark Kirk and Chris Shays. Under her governorship more vetoes have been overridden than the rest of Hawaii's governors combined.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 10:21:55 PM »

Linda Lingle is such a great and amazing and moderate and super person.

LOL, the standard for Republican women now is that they are moderates unless they're Palin or Bachmann.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 10:22:50 PM »

I don't know anything about Lingle, actually, is she an alleged moderate?  Is she secretly far-right?  What's her dealio, cause I have no clue?

Fake post?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 11:41:39 PM »

Fake post?

Read Derek's post, no one can be that stupid without trying to be stupid on purpose.

Anyway, pathetic move by Lingle, the plus side is Abercrombie will be Governor soon so this will be passed by the Legislature again and signed into law next year.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 11:53:21 PM »

Hmm, another pro-abortion, anti-gay Republican...

I've said many times that "moderates" are horrible people, and examples like this come out every day.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 11:56:23 PM »

From what I understand, Lingle's dealio is she thinks the proposed civil unions are "marriage by another name."  In 1998, the citizens of Hawaii passed constitutional amendment allowing (but not requiring) the legislature to define marriage as between a man and a woman.  Given that, Lingle thinks the civil union bill should also be sent to be voted on by the citizens of Hawaii in a referendum.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 12:01:09 AM »

Hmm, another pro-abortion, anti-gay Republican...

I've said many times that "moderates" are horrible people, and examples like this come out every day.

Okay, ignoring your moderate bashing, I actually do agree - I cannot understand the fixation that every Republican seems to have with being anti-gay no matter what, especially the ones who dare call themselves moderate afterward. And it's not a massive problem with everyday people who consider themselves moderate, but rather a seemingly insurmountable problem with politicians who try to claim it. They always do something to completely tank their credibility.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 12:14:48 AM »

I'd like to have some of what you're smoking.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 12:55:58 AM »

hm. if Hannemann wins the primary for the Democrats, it doesn't look too good either.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=12764487

both Aiona, the GOP candidate and Hannemann are in favor of the public determining the fate of marriage, although Aiona proposes a constitutional ban, while Hannemann is more unclear. Abercrombie seems to support full same-sex marriage, but he's known as sort of a hippie in Hawai'i.

Hawai'i seems like one of those places that would turn out like Maine if they voted on this issue, a lot of quiet conservatives in Hawai'i, and there is a strong connection to religion in Hawai'i.

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 05:45:48 AM »

Even compared to your other comic farces known as your post history, this is a new low.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 07:32:32 AM »

Under her governorship more vetoes have been overridden than the rest of Hawaii's governors combined.

Gee I wonder why and OHHHHH it's probably because she's the only Republican to have ever served a full four-year term in Hawai'i.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 09:02:45 AM »

more evidence that you're a joke
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 01:36:01 PM »

From what I understand, Lingle's dealio is she thinks the proposed civil unions are "marriage by another name."  In 1998, the citizens of Hawaii passed constitutional amendment allowing (but not requiring) the legislature to define marriage as between a man and a woman.  Given that, Lingle thinks the civil union bill should also be sent to be voted on by the citizens of Hawaii in a referendum.

Perhaps she also thinks the public should have voted on school integration as well.  Roll Eyes  The whole, "the voters should decide" argument is for "moderates" whose spines are full of jelly.  They're just trying to cover their @sses so they don't upset their conservative base and ruin their chances in whatever Republican primary they run in next.

As proven time and time again by history, civil rights is not an issue where we should defer to the general public.  Because the issue is inherently tied in with the discriminatory practices of the majority it must be decided by fair-mined people in either the courts or the legislature. 

The Republican smear campaign against "legislating from the bench" has made it nearly impossible for judges to make impartial rulings without being labeled as "agenda pushers" and now that legislatures are starting to act on this issue the Republicans are screaming about the government ignoring the will of the people.  I'm sorry but when the majority of people are a bunch of bigots it's the responsibility of our government officials to step in and enforce the Constitution and preserve the freedom of minorities.  Its the entire reason for having a republic in the first place!  These institutions are there to prevent the crazed masses from plunging us into theocracy.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 02:12:47 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2010, 02:27:00 PM by cinyc »

I don't know anything about Lingle, actually, is she an alleged moderate?  Is she secretly far-right?  What's her dealio, cause I have no clue?

Perhaps she also thinks the public should have voted on school integration as well.  Roll Eyes  The whole, "the voters should decide" argument is for "moderates" whose spines are full of jelly.  They're just trying to cover their @sses so they don't upset their conservative base and ruin their chances in whatever Republican primary they run in next.

As proven time and time again by history, civil rights is not an issue where we should defer to the general public.  Because the issue is inherently tied in with the discriminatory practices of the majority it must be decided by fair-mined people in either the courts or the legislature.  

The Republican smear campaign against "legislating from the bench" has made it nearly impossible for judges to make impartial rulings without being labeled as "agenda pushers" and now that legislatures are starting to act on this issue the Republicans are screaming about the government ignoring the will of the people.  I'm sorry but when the majority of people are a bunch of bigots it's the responsibility of our government officials to step in and enforce the Constitution and preserve the freedom of minorities.  Its the entire reason for having a republic in the first place!  These institutions are there to prevent the crazed masses from plunging us into theocracy.

I don't weigh in on this gay marriage much because I'm in the overwhelming minority on this website.  But just because gay activists call gay marriage a "civil rights issue" doesn't make it so.  Judges who create a "right" to gay marriage are "legislating from the bench" and finding "constitutional rights" to things that have not existed for centuries in this country.

It is proper for the legislatures and/or the people through referenda to decide whether to allow same-sex couples to marry or enter civil unions.  And Lingle is absolutely right - if the voters in 1998 said marriage should be between a man and a woman, the voters of Hawaii should decide whether something that is equivalent to marriage between other than a man and a woman should be allowed in 2010.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 02:21:44 PM »

I don't know anything about Lingle, actually, is she an alleged moderate?  Is she secretly far-right?  What's her dealio, cause I have no clue?

Why is "letting the people decide directly" bad?  Does that in and of itself really make her anti-gay marriage/civil unions/whatever?

Forget the issue, a voter referendum generally isn't a bad thing ever.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies