Is Anne Frank in Hell? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:29:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is Anne Frank in Hell? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Anne Frank in Hell?  (Read 16142 times)
Yamor
Rookie
« on: July 12, 2010, 03:20:19 AM »

Are Islam and Judaism also so precise? Eastern religions certainly don't follow some archaic book to a T and view it as some unquestionable truth.

Orthodox Judaism is very precise and does view the OT as unquestionable truth (at least as explained by the Talmud).

However, they do not believe to have the only path to Heaven. They believe Judaism is not just a religion, but also constitutes a "people", or a "race" (it is possible, but very difficult, to convert, and it is not encouraged), with special responsibilities from God. However, righteous people from all nations and races will also go to heaven.
This would basically mean keeping the Seven Laws of Noah, but there would be leeway for those, for example, who don't understand the severity of those laws.

One of the results of these beliefs is that a Jew has to do much more then a non-Jew to merit going to Heaven, since he has far more laws, and far greater responsibilities, although Jews are given slightly better "let-offs" for involuntary actions and lack of knowledge.
Yamor
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 02:09:08 AM »
« Edited: July 13, 2010, 02:27:20 AM by Yamor »

First off, your version renders the story meaningless.  Lot's wife died in the incident.  She doesn't reappear in story.  Second, my Oxford Study Bible, an academic Bible painstakingly translated, has this: Genesis 19:26 "But Lot's wife looked back, and she turned into a pillar of salt.". The only footnote to the verse just points out that an oddly-shaped column in the area has been associated with Lot's wife straight to the present day.

That is a mistranslation. Most Bibles do not translate that properly. When you get into the academic circle things like this are highly debated because most of them are capable of translating languages to the point of changing the meanings of stories with just a word or 2. Perhaps she did die, but there is a literary argument based on ancient Hebrew to suggest Lot's wife turned for a pillar of salt rather than into.

The Hebrew word is "va'tehi" which means "and she became", "and she was", or something similar.

In fact, the use of the words "and she turned into" in any translation is just literary license, since the plain translation is simply "and she became" or "and she was". (This often happens because the vocabulary of Biblical Hebrew is so much smaller then that of English, so simpler words are used when in English you'd use more specific words. Translators try to take that into account).

I'm literally laughing at the fact you think "turned into" should really be "turned for". It's only in English that those two phrases happen to use the same word for completely different meanings!

By the way, I do have extensive knowledge of Biblical Hebrew - I'm not academically trained, but I know enough that I can actually speak in Biblical Hebrew fluently.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies