Is Anne Frank in Hell? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:16:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is Anne Frank in Hell? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Anne Frank in Hell?  (Read 16137 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: July 09, 2010, 08:01:42 AM »

Heaven and hell are human constructs (as is re-incarnation etc) and therefore 'entry requirments' are also human constructs.

However the conditions under which someone believes you enter one or the other is therefore deeply rooted in that persons sense of justice. Very few human beings, the compassionate animals that we are, should have a sense of 'justice' that if applied to the concept of a heaven/hell, would send a young woman like Anne Frank after everything she went through to damnation. Except if they adhere to an ideology that requires just that. That is why some people without a skipped heartbeat when faced with this question say 'yes she is in hell' despite being compassionate themselves.

That is what I find so extraordinary; that humans are capable of compassion in so many intrinsic and exceptional ways, but apparently a god does not; compassion is only shown is pre-set ways and under pre-set rules.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 06:33:58 PM »

Jewish people sure do go to hell.  Because they have not had their sins washed away by the blood of our Savior, Christ Jesus. 

Thank you; another reason why humans show more compassion than the Christian god.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 05:31:35 AM »

No. If she is I'd rather be there with her and people like her than the other place when I die.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »

No. If she is I'd rather be there with her and people like her than the other place when I die.

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Of course Cheesy If for whatever reason I'm sent to the basement floor for not believing, or believing the wrong thing or being a gay or whatever reason is waved around then my husband is going to be there too, for the same reasons. So if I have to spend an eternity in literal or metaphorical hell then I'd rather spend it with the one person that helps me get through my 'hellish' moments on earth than enjoy the penthouse suite without him.

Of course for me the real beauty is knowing that my organs, if possible, help others live and that the matter that makes me is feasted on by the living things I feasted on and my atoms scattered and recycled. That gives me enough spiritual nourishment.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 04:21:19 PM »

Of course Cheesy If for whatever reason I'm sent to the basement floor for not believing, or believing the wrong thing or being a gay or whatever reason is waved around then my husband is going to be there too, for the same reasons. So if I have to spend an eternity in literal or metaphorical hell then I'd rather spend it with the one person that helps me get through my 'hellish' moments on earth than enjoy the penthouse suite without him.

If you do indeed get sent to Hell, why would you expect to be next to the husband you love?  I'd think it far likelier you'd end up next to jmfcst, tho whether as a fellow inmate or as part of the staff I'll leave others to speculate on.

That seems quite a barbed thing to say.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 05:12:49 PM »

If you do indeed get sent to Hell, why would you expect to be next to the husband you love?  I'd think it far likelier you'd end up next to jmfcst, tho whether as a fellow inmate or as part of the staff I'll leave others to speculate on.

True.  But I never said he definitely would go there, just you'd be likelier to run into him there, and that because I would expect that if people do encounter people they know in Hell it would be far likelier that they would encounter adversaries than supporters.

Cause I'm going to be there am I right Cheesy
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 06:57:30 AM »

True.  But I never said he definitely would go there, just you'd be likelier to run into him there, and that because I would expect that if people do encounter people they know in Hell it would be far likelier that they would encounter adversaries than supporters.

But it doesn't have to be that way though Afleitch.

Please do not proselytise to me. I believe that when I die, I die and that is it. It doesn't concern me and hollow threats of hell don't work Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 07:52:40 AM »

But it doesn't have to be that way though Afleitch.

Please do not proselytise to me. I believe that when I die, I die and that is it. It doesn't concern me and hollow threats of hell don't work Smiley

So you don't believe in an afterlife?

No. As I’ve said on here earlier I have as much concern about what happens after I die as I have for what happened before I was alive. Seneca said that there are two states of consciousness that humans can experience; being fully conscious or being unconscious and everything in between. If you put under general anaesthetic you are brought to a state of a deep unconsciousness (with a small risk of death) to the extent that you may require assistance in breathing and your life signs need to be monitored. When unconscious I saw nothing, felt nothing, experienced nothing and knew nothing. All I can recall is being put under and then being awake. So I know what unconsciousness feels like. I see no reason why if the closer and closer you get to death the more unconscious you become, that when you actually die anything different happens. I see no reason why a third ‘special’ state of eternal consciousness detached from my dead (or not alive) physical form should exist just because I am human; it is wishful thinking.

If such a ‘consciousness’ exists, then I have already experienced it prior to being born or conceived and given that I have no conscious memory of it then it was a state of unconsciousness. If it continues when I physically die then I would expect it to be the same. Death is a state of nothingness just as much as not yet being conceived is a state of nothingness. An afterlife on the other hand is a state of ‘somethingness’ often moulded into a manifestation of human desires or fears for pain, pleasure, companionship or separation. Such things shouldn’t matter when you are dead.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies