PS/MB Administration's Legislative Proposals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:13:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  PS/MB Administration's Legislative Proposals
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PS/MB Administration's Legislative Proposals  (Read 3526 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2010, 09:22:14 PM »

Hello Senators! In this thread I will post the first several proposals that the Administration, or just PS or myself specifically, have proposed. I ask any sympathetic Senator (JCP and DA Senators for example, as we're the same parties) to introduce them on our behalf.

Please keep commentary about the bills to a minimum, though I have no problem with limited commentary, just try to save it until they've been formally introduced by someone in the Senate.

Thanks everyone. Here we are:

Oil Spill Protection Act

Section 1: Oil Profits Tax

1. Any oil company that does business within Atlasia and earns a larger quarterly profit than one billion dollars shall be subject to a 20% tax on all profits.

2. Revenue from the oil profits tax shall be diverted into a newly created Oil Spill Protection Fund which shall be used for cleanup in the event of a spill, research and development for new technologies to prevent environmental damage, and as payments to those who's lives are impacted by oil spills.

Section 2: Regulatory Effectiveness

1. All oil rigs and drilling platforms operating within Atlasian land and waters, regardless of their supposed nationality, shall be subject to Atlasian regulatory rules and will be inspected regularly by personnel from the federal government.

2. All oil drilling platforms are required to install and regularly test each month 'emergency blow-out preventers' and evacuation drills.

Section 3: Responsibility

1. In the event of an oil spill or another oil-related disaster, the oil and drilling companies in question shall be, in conjunction with the funds paid into the Oil Spill Protection Fund, entirely responsible for cleanup measures.

2. No monetary cap shall be put in place for oil spill cleanup and compensation for damages.

Regional Government Board Resolution

Recognizing the increased prominence of regional governments and assemblies and the important role they now play in Atlasia, as well as the need for increase space to accommodate them, the Atlasian government requests the creation of a childboard beneath the "Atlas Fantasy Government" board entitled "Regional Government."

Social & Economic Development Zone Improvement Act

Section 1: Administration

1. The 'Establishment of Social and Economic Development Zones Act' is hereby repealed.

2. The Senate shall fund and establish the creation of "Social & Economic Development Zones" to target the growth in infrastructure and employment in a targeted area.

3. The Senate and/or the Regional Governments shall be responsible for coordinating the establishment of the SEDZs.

Section 2: Requirements for Creation of SEDZs

1. The following requirements must be met for the creation of a Social & Economic Development Zone:

1a. An unemployment rate at 10.0% or higher.
1b. A net population decrease in the located area from the previous year.
1c. A median income level of $21,000 or below.
1d. A net decrease in the total number of business locations in the located area from the previous year.

2. A Social & Economic Development Zone may not be created in an area including a population number lower than 1,000 or higher than 40,000.

3. The Secretary of Internal Affairs and Game Moderator shall cooperate in the location of suitable zones for the establishment of SEDZs.

Section 3: Benefits of a SEDZ

1. Money shall be distributed to the individual Zones for the purpose of infrastructure improvements and various local projects to better the community. Funds shall be payed out on a sliding scale to the population size of the zone, with a maximum of five million dollars.

2. All sales and business taxes shall be suspended in the area within the Zone for 12 months.

Section 4: Stimulating Employment Within SEDZs

1. A new program titled "Atlasia Works" will be created that shall operate within the Zones to expand businesses and transition individuals from state assistance benefits to meaningful work.

2. "Atlasia Works" will compile a list eligible businesses that seek to enroll in the program that wish to expand their business, but are immediately unable to do so. Cross-regional chains and businesses with more than 2 locations in the Zone will not be eligible.

3. Each individual hired through the Atlasia Works program within the Social & Economic Development Zone shall have up to 80% of their wage subsidized by the government for up to 18 months. Each employer will be limited to a number of ten subsidized jobs simultaneously.

4. Only individuals recieving federal or regional assistance benefits (welfare) shall be able to find jobs through the Atlasia Works program.

Section 5: Limitations

1. Social & Economic Development Zones may only be in operation for up to 5 years, or until one or more of the requirements for maintaining a SEDZ has been broken.

2. All subsidies from Atlasia works and tax breaks shall remain in place until their expiration even after the SEDZ has been disbanded, but no more may be issued.

Hiring Incentives Act

1. Any non-manufacturing business with 200 employees or less in total shall be eligible for a $4,000 tax credit for each new individual they hire.

2. Any manufacturing business that hires a new employee shall be eligible for a $7,500 tax credit for each new individual they hire.

3. Any business that hires an individual that has been out of work for 30+ days will be exempt from paying Social Security payroll taxes on that employee.

4. The effects of this legislation shall expire one year after passage.

Make Internet Sales Fair Act

1. A 5% nation-wide sales tax shall be placed on all internet sales transactions.

2. Food purchases shall be exempt from the tax.

This Isn't What Protectionism Is You Idiots Act

1. No tax breaks of any sort shall be granted to businesses that move their business or individual workers to another country.

Keystone Shill Day Proclamation

June 26th shall be an annual day of National Celebration on the anniversary of Keystone Phil ceasing to be President after his resignation on June 26th, 2008.

It shall be known as 'Keystone Shill' day.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 09:22:41 PM »

Regular Question Time Made Interesting Act

Scheduled to be once each month starting exactly one month after the new office-taking dates, the Secretary of Internal Affairs shall open a thread in the "Atlas Fantasy Elections" board for the purpose of commentary and questions from the citizens, as well as good-hearted jabs for the purpose of livening political debate.

First Major Wiki Reform Act

The Senate recognizes that the Wiki has, for too long, fallen into disrepair and that the Statute pages in particular are confusing to read for newbies and veterans alike, and much of it is simply outdated.

1. A new page entitled "Repealed Statute" shall be created and linked to the top of the regular "Statute" page encompassing all repealed and/or superceded laws and all laws specifically stricken from the regular Statute page.

2. The following laws are hereby stricken from the normal record and moved to the aforementioned "Repealed Statute" page in the same order of their creation:

F.L. 1-1: The Preferential Voting Act
F.L. 1-2: Civil Unions Act
F.L. 2-1: Stickies, Posts, and Polls Reduction Act
F.L. 2-2: PPT Election Act
F.L. 2-3: Third Boss Abortion Act
F.L. 3-1: Federal Activity Act
F.L. 3-2: The Marriage Equity Act
F.L. 4-1: F-22 Act
F.L. 4-5: Voter Fraud Act
F.L. 4-6: None of the Above Act
F.L. 4-9: Welfare Reform Act
F.L. 5-3: Constitutional Amendment Act
F.L. 5-7: Unwed and Teenage Mothers Protection Act
F.L. 5-9: Election Procedures, Certification and Challenges Act
F.L. 6-1: Amendment to the Statute of Election Procedures, Certification, and Challenges Act
F.L. 6-5: Line of Succession Act
F.L. 6-6: Community Revitalization Act
F.L. 6-8: Fair Wage Act
F.L. 6-9: Deputy SoFA Act
F.L. 6-14: Omnibus Criminal Law Act
F.L. 6-15: Omnibus Election System, Procedure and Certification Act
F.L. 6-20: Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act
F.L. 7-2: Repeal of Family Planning Amendments Act
F.L. 7-5: Federal Activity Requirements Act
F.L. 8-9: Unified Electoral Code Act
F.L. 8-14: Affirmative Action Act
F.L. 9-7: National Endowments for the Arts and for the Humanities Elimination Act
F.L. 10-3: Species Act of 2005
F.L. 10-4: Foreign Aid Reduction Act
F.L. 12-5: Asbestos Ban Amendment Act
F.L. 12-8: Electoral System Reform Act
F.L. 12-9: Peter Will Fix It Act
F.L. 12-10: Abortion Restriction in Federal Territories Act
F.L. 12-11: Abolition of Martin Luther King Day Act
F.L. 13-5: Modified Electoral System Reform Act
F.L. 13-8: Second Modified Electoral System Reform Act
F.L. 13-20: Atlasia-Oman Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-22: Treasonous Rebellion Act
F.L. 14-4: Atlasia-Malaysia Free Trade Act
F.L. 15-6: Line of Succession (Amendment) Act
F.L. 15-7: Line of Sucession (Amendment No. 2) Act
F.L. 18-8: Illegal Immigrant Act
F.L. 26-3: Second Amendment to the Consolidated Electoral System Reform Act
F.L. 28-9: Affirmative Action Bill
F.L. 31-18: Privacy Protection Bill
F.L. 32-2: Cleaning Up The Line Of Succession Act
F.L. 34-8: Fourth Amendment to the Consolidated Electoral System Reform Act
F.L. 34-9: High Authority for Ethics in Voting Act

3. The following completed and/or obsolete and/or outdated laws are hereby repealed and stricken from the record to be moved to the "Repealed Statute" page in the same order of their creation:

F.L. 5-2: Military Division Appropriation Act
F.L. 5-10: John F. Kennedy Memorial Act
F.L. 6-7: Promotion of Democracy Act
F.L. 6-17: Preserving Our National Parks Act
F.L. 8-4: Voting System Reform Act
F.L. 8-10: Emergency Niger Relief Act
F.L. 8-13: Military Enlargement Act
F.L. 9-1: Hurricane Katrina Relief Act
F.L. 9-5: Regional Quarters Act
F.L. 9-8: Atlasian Symbols Act
F.L. 11-2: Supplemental Appropriation for Katrina Relief Efforts Act
F.L. 12-3: Regional Quarters Extension Act
F.L. 15-5: Tax Increase Act

4. Sections of statute shall no longer be divided by each numbered Senate, but shall now be categorized by month and year.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 09:24:32 PM »

A windfall profits tax? Dear God.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 11:03:03 PM »

I've introduced the first five bills and placed them on the floor immediately. I didn't introduce any more than that because if I had, then the Senate Anti-Clogging Statute could have unnecessarily prolonged things when dealing with later bills.

I don't necessarily agree with everything you've proposed, but this is a refreshing bunch of new ideas and I'd rather use my PPT powers to usher that forward rather than being annoying about bills I don't like.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 08:25:04 PM »

I've introduced the first five bills and placed them on the floor immediately. I didn't introduce any more than that because if I had, then the Senate Anti-Clogging Statute could have unnecessarily prolonged things when dealing with later bills.

I don't necessarily agree with everything you've proposed, but this is a refreshing bunch of new ideas and I'd rather use my PPT powers to usher that forward rather than being annoying about bills I don't like.

I believe it is three not five.

The bill dealing with offshoring of jobs is one of the most stupid, politically motivated, rhetorically derived, and practically counterproductive bills I have ever seen.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 08:35:49 PM »

The bill dealing with offshoring of jobs is one of the most stupid, politically motivated, rhetorically derived, and practically counterproductive bills I have ever seen.

It might not be bad if it is written to be clear that a company that outsources jobs would be eligible & only eligible for all tax breaks that an identical company that did not outsource would be eligible for.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 08:36:28 PM »

Really? You object to, not penalizing moving jobs offshore, but actually getting rid of incentives to outsource jobs to other countries? How incredibly silly and downright frightening. You want there to be incentives for jobs to leave the country?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 08:52:31 PM »

Really? You object to, not penalizing moving jobs offshore, but actually getting rid of incentives to outsource jobs to other countries? How incredibly silly and downright frightening. You want there to be incentives for jobs to leave the country?

I am a brand new company. I want to create 50 jobs in the US and 23 in China. Under this law, I wouldn't get any tax incentives at all for the 50 jobs because of the 23 in China. So what am I going to do, I am going put all 73 in China. Tongue

This bill, unless rewritten, would increase outsourcing dramatically. But what do I care, I love the stupidity of counterproductivity because its so F'ing funny when populist fools who push this garbage end up making the problem the worse.

Nice at putting words in my mouth. There is a way to solve this but this broad grandstanding isn't it.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 07:23:54 AM »

It is three. But there was no bills behind them in the queue, so as long as I was placing bills through an empty queue directly onto the Senate floor the Anti-Clogging stuff didn't kick in Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 01:08:01 PM »

As I already told you, that's all great. Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 04:12:27 PM »

There's another empty spot on the floor and still nothing in the queue so I get to waive the Anti-Clogging rules again! I'm breaking your order here, MB, skipping Protectionism and Keystone Shill, to bring the "Regular Question Time Made Interesting Act" to the floor now. I figure if that's going to pass it would be best to go ahead and do so with time to spare before the first QT, so officeholders will know it's coming.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 02:52:05 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2010, 02:56:10 PM by Vice P. Marokai Blue »

Omnibus Trade Reorganization & Wiki Consolidation Act

Recognizing the need to further reform and consolidate our Wiki for the greater ease of reading, and the great number of disparate trade legislation, the Senate hereby authorizes the following to consolidate the wealth of trade Acts:

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and the following nations and territories:

Republic of Costa Rica
Republic of El Salvador
Republic of Guatemala
Republic of Honduras
Nicaragua
Dominican Republic
Canada
Mexico
Colombia
Suriname
Brazil
Ecuador
Peru
Paraguay
Uruguay
Argentina
Chile
Angiulla
Aruba
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Haiti
Montserrat
Netherland Antilles
Australia
Israel
New Zealand
Thailand
Jordan
Switzerland
South Africa
Philippines
Iraq
Japan
South Korea
European Union member-states
Norway
Turkey
Iceland

Section 2: Definition of Free Trade Agreements

1. All legislation pertaining to the removal of tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods between Atlasia and another country shall be considered as agreements.

2. Upon the violation of such an agreement, it shall be within the power of the DoEA, with the consent of the Senate, to take appropriate actions to defend against such infringements.

Section 3: Free Trade Rules & Regulations

1. The Republic of Atlasia shall not enter into or maintain any free or fair trade agreement with any nation that criminalizes homosexual acts.

Section 4: Wiki Reorganization

1. The following Acts are hereby repealed and stricken from the record, to be placed in the "Repealed Statute" page:

F.L. 9-10: Central American Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-2: North American Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-6: South American Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-7: Caribbean Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-9: Atlasia-Australia Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-10: Atlasia-Singapore Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-11: Atlasia-Morocco Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-12: Atlasia-Bahrain Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-13: Atlasia-Israel Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-16: Atlasian-New Zealand Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-19: Atlasia-Thailand Free Trade Act
F.L. 28-6: End to Disgusting, Hypocritical Yuppie Protectionism Act
F.L. 14-5: Atlasia-Jordan Free Trade Act
F.L. 14-7: Atlasia-Switzerland Free Trade Act
F.L. 14-8: Atlasia-South Africa Free Trade Act
F.L. 15-8: Atlasian-Philippines Free Trade Act
F.L. 17-1: Atlasian-Kuwait Free Trade Act
F.L. 31-15: Atlasia-Iraq Free Trade Act
F.L. 31-24: Atlasia-Japan Free Trade Act
F.L. 31-27: Atlasia-South Korea Free Trade Act
F.L. 32-11: Atlasia-EU Free Trade Act
F.L. 32-12: Atlasia-Turkey Free Trade Act
F.L. 32-13: Atlasia-Norway-Iceland Free Trade Act
F.L. 31-26: LGBT Trade Act
F.L. 32-4: Amendment to the LGBT Trade Act
F.L. 32-15: Free Trade Agreement Act
F.L. 28-13: Free Trade Regulation Act
F.L. 29-2: Malaysian Free Trade Renegotiation Act
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 08:24:29 PM »

That looks pretty wonderful.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 08:35:51 PM »

The DoEA greatly appreciates this, and hopes the Senate will quickly pass it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 08:51:19 PM »

Omnibus Trade Reorganization & Wiki Consolidation Act

Recognizing the need to further reform and consolidate our Wiki for the greater ease of reading, and the great number of disparate trade legislation, the Senate hereby authorizes the following to consolidate the wealth of trade Acts:

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and the following nations and territories:

Republic of Costa Rica
Republic of El Salvador
Republic of Guatemala
Republic of Honduras
Nicaragua
Dominican Republic
Canada
Mexico
Colombia
Suriname
Brazil
Ecuador
Peru
Paraguay
Uruguay
Argentina
Chile
Angiulla
Aruba
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Haiti
Montserrat
Netherland Antilles
Australia
Israel
New Zealand
Thailand
Jordan
Switzerland
South Africa
Philippines
Iraq
Japan
South Korea
European Union member-states
Norway
Turkey
Iceland

Section 2: Definition of Free Trade Agreements

1. All legislation pertaining to the removal of tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods between Atlasia and another country shall be considered as agreements.

2. Upon the violation of such an agreement, it shall be within the power of the DoEA, with the consent of the Senate, to take appropriate actions to defend against such infringements.

Section 3: Free Trade Rules & Regulations

1. The Republic of Atlasia shall not enter into or maintain any free or fair trade agreement with any nation that criminalizes homosexual acts.

Section 4: Wiki Reorganization

1. The following Acts are hereby repealed and stricken from the record, to be placed in the "Repealed Statute" page:

F.L. 9-10: Central American Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-2: North American Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-6: South American Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-7: Caribbean Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-9: Atlasia-Australia Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-10: Atlasia-Singapore Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-11: Atlasia-Morocco Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-12: Atlasia-Bahrain Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-13: Atlasia-Israel Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-16: Atlasian-New Zealand Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-19: Atlasia-Thailand Free Trade Act
F.L. 28-6: End to Disgusting, Hypocritical Yuppie Protectionism Act
F.L. 14-5: Atlasia-Jordan Free Trade Act
F.L. 14-7: Atlasia-Switzerland Free Trade Act
F.L. 14-8: Atlasia-South Africa Free Trade Act
F.L. 15-8: Atlasian-Philippines Free Trade Act
F.L. 17-1: Atlasian-Kuwait Free Trade Act
F.L. 31-15: Atlasia-Iraq Free Trade Act
F.L. 31-24: Atlasia-Japan Free Trade Act
F.L. 31-27: Atlasia-South Korea Free Trade Act
F.L. 32-11: Atlasia-EU Free Trade Act
F.L. 32-12: Atlasia-Turkey Free Trade Act
F.L. 32-13: Atlasia-Norway-Iceland Free Trade Act
F.L. 31-26: LGBT Trade Act
F.L. 32-4: Amendment to the LGBT Trade Act
F.L. 32-15: Free Trade Agreement Act
F.L. 28-13: Free Trade Regulation Act
F.L. 29-2: Malaysian Free Trade Renegotiation Act

I can see a great work on wiki coming on my head Sad
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 12:31:03 AM »

Just be glad I started things off for you already in my brief stint as President and acting AG. Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 07:05:39 AM »

Ha! That's why I wondered, who managed to update during vacancy (haven't check edition history) Smiley
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »

Have you guys considered consolidating all the tax credits and tax policy in general into one piece of legislation?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 01:00:05 AM »

Have you guys considered consolidating all the tax credits and tax policy in general into one piece of legislation?

We've been working to consolidate, repeal and streamline as much as possible. Ideas and contributions are always appreciated.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 01:15:03 AM »

We've been working to consolidate, repeal and streamline as much as possible. Ideas and contributions are always appreciated.

Most definitely. But for tax credits and tax policy more broadly, I don't really think we could consolidate it enough to be worth doing. I mean, we'll always be adding new tax policies, and the tax breaks are often targeted to specific things. It's also done rather frequently. How would we even consolidate them?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 01:03:58 AM »

After PMing the PPT about it, I've decided to propose this as well:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The PPT suggested, and I agree, more strict definitions on who's eligible, without restricting the free flow of credit throughout the economy, but making sure the money will not be wasted or given to those that do not need it. But I firmly believe that what was a great proposal one year ago can now be expanded again to extend that good effect.

I further urge a friendly Senator to introduce the previous proposal that has yet to make it's way to the floor:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 04:02:51 AM »

Now, that would make statute wiki page really clear Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies