Make Internet Sales Fair Act [On the President's Desk] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:27:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Make Internet Sales Fair Act [On the President's Desk] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Make Internet Sales Fair Act [On the President's Desk]  (Read 4458 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« on: July 12, 2010, 04:59:39 PM »

I personally am against this bill at the moment.  New taxes during uncertain economic times, no matter how well intended, make me uneasy about damaging the recovery.

That said, I'd like to enter the following article (via link) into the record advocating the reasons for such a tax.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/200870/why_its_time_to_tax_internet_sales.html?tk=hp_new
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 01:32:10 PM »

Hold on here. Bullmoose, Libertas---would this amendment actually change either of your positions on the bill?

It certainly makes the bill more palatable from my perspective.  Of course, I'd obviously prefer in most situations to repeal taxes to even the playing field--especially when the economy isn't doing so well--but if that fantasyland isn't possible the amendment seems to instill some reality into the bill.

At the very least, even if I'm still not on the aye side of the measure (how I'll exactly vote depends on the final text, the original gets a nay from me), I'm a lot more comfortable with its passage as amended.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 09:43:10 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2010, 09:45:14 AM by bullmoose88 »

Internet commerce is unquestionably important, but there is no need to coddle companies like Amazon to the detriment of local bookstores.

Respectfully, I find the notion that enabling an internet sales tax is really going to significantly level the playing field between a local bookseller and amazon a bit difficult to buy.  It won't allow such a small firm to achieve the same sort of bulk buys and other cost efficiencies that allow big firms like amazon or even a brick and mortar like walmart to succeed.

bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 09:46:59 AM »

As much as I appreciate Badger's efforts to make the bill more tolerable, it is still only tolerable if it passes despite my vote.  After much thought, I cannot support this measure.

Nay.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies