Tom Corbett deserves his poll numbers how?????
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:39:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Tom Corbett deserves his poll numbers how?????
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Tom Corbett deserves his poll numbers how?????  (Read 2657 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2010, 06:47:02 PM »

Health care lawsuits, going after people for expressing their 1st Amendment Rights, Oh we have a winner here.  Another X-Mas present for Dan Onorato:

Posted on Sat, Jul. 10, 2010

Corbett says some would rather get unemployment checks than work

By Amy Worden

Inquirer Harrisburg Bureau

HARRISBURG - Republican gubernatorial candidate Tom Corbett on Friday accused some jobless Pennsylvanians of choosing to collect unemployment checks rather than going back to work, prompting swift criticism from his Democratic opponent and one of the state's top labor leaders.

"The jobs are there. But if we keep extending unemployment, people are just going to sit there," Corbett told Harrisburg radio station WITF at a campaign stop in Elizabethtown. "I've literally had construction companies tell me, 'I can't get people to come back to work until . . . they say, "I'll come back to work when unemployment runs out." ' "

Democratic candidate Dan Onorato charged Corbett with being out of touch at a time when Pennsylvania's unemployment rate is at 9.1 percent, a 26-year high.

"I don't know what world Tom Corbett is living in," Onorato said in a statement. "Our economy is struggling, families in Pennsylvania are hurting, and Harrisburg insiders like Tom Corbett aren't doing anything to help them."

AFL-CIO president Richard Bloomingdale told the Associated Press that he was astonished by Corbett's remarks.

"Unemployed workers would rather be working, feeding their families, and paying the mortgage than living with the uncertainty of not having a job, earning less than half their wages, and going without health care and pensions," Bloomingdale said.

He said more than 25,000 people are jobless in Lancaster County, in which Elizabethtown is located.

Corbett's spokesman, Kevin Harley, said later the owner of a plumbing company, whose name he did not know, told Corbett he had workers who did not want to return until their unemployment ran out. He said other employers had told Corbett they have jobs available and cannot find people to fill them.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 02:53:14 PM »

This may very wel be the case but they should fight it on the employer tax not making blanketted statements like this that is demeaning
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 01:36:03 AM »

I just hope the Democrats can effectively use this against Corbett.  I think this could be the upset of 2010 in the Gubernatorial races.  PA is a labor state and along with his other antics such as the Twitter subpoenas and the dumb health care lawsuit in a heavy union state might not go over so well.  Dan Onorato has a large warchest to call Corbett on this. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 01:53:32 AM »

The next story was on how Onorato exceedingly week:

Onorato first said it "would be helpful" and later that he "would not oppose" an extension although he maintains it would be only a short-term fix and not a long-term solution.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/regional/s_690039.html

Ah, the evil of two lessers.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 08:38:37 AM »

Once Suffolk polls come out, they will have Sestak and Ott doing better than these Rasmussen polls that have a bias.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 07:36:06 PM »

What did he say that wasn't true? I'm sure there are plenty of people that would rather just collect unemployment than get a real job.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 09:30:07 PM »

Really not impressed with Corbett but not sure I want to give the Dems another 4 years in the gov's mansion, especially one not from SE PA.  Ugh.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 10:16:42 PM »

What did he say that wasn't true? I'm sure there are plenty of people that would rather just collect unemployment than get a real job.

Right.  I was on it for 13 months.  Jackass.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 04:35:00 AM »

Case and point.

Get a job!
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 06:11:33 AM »

I said "plenty of people." I didn't say "Flyers2004."
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 08:54:13 PM »

Case and point.

Get a job!

I have a job now, but I'm not going to be a harsh ass over it and tell people they're lazy either.  This economy has left some very bright, ambitious people collecting for an extended period of time through no fault of their own.  If we were dealing with a late 1990s economy, then I'd be inclined to think that way somewhat, but in these times it's not the case. 
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 10:56:31 PM »

When I didn't have a job, I didn't collect unemployment.

When I needed the money, you know what I did? I got another job. It's not hard. Anything is better than nothing.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 11:35:14 AM »

There are some people out there that say, "Why should I take this lesser job, when I can sit back and collect a check for doing nothing,"  or "Why should I work as a janitor; I have a college degree.  I'd rather just sit back and get a check and, maybe, look for a better job."

A lot of people see that, and Corbett's comments can resonate with them.  I stopped telling people I was a welfare caseworker, because so many people would immediately ask why people should get welfare.  They were, generally, either talking about their neighbors, or their brother-in-law.  It is the same situation.

Onorate's response was so weak, and there is a good counter argument to Corbett, that it was a wash.

I'm not a fan Corbett.  I "pal around" with someone, a public official, who called him "a gutless coward," in print.  I called a candidate he was strongly supporting (and possibly wanted to succeed him), “disingenuous,” a "failure," called that candidates policies an "act of ... hypocrisy," all in print.

All that said, I doubt that this comment is very damaging, Onorato didn't exploit it well, and even feel some of the sentiment Bullmoose does.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 01:52:42 PM »

There are some people out there that say, "Why should I take this lesser job, when I can sit back and collect a check for doing nothing,"  or "Why should I work as a janitor; I have a college degree.  I'd rather just sit back and get a check and, maybe, look for a better job."

A lot of people see that, and Corbett's comments can resonate with them.  I stopped telling people I was a welfare caseworker, because so many people would immediately ask why people should get welfare.  They were, generally, either talking about their neighbors, or their brother-in-law.  It is the same situation.

Onorate's response was so weak, and there is a good counter argument to Corbett, that it was a wash.

I'm not a fan Corbett.  I "pal around" with someone, a public official, who called him "a gutless coward," in print.  I called a candidate he was strongly supporting (and possibly wanted to succeed him), “disingenuous,” a "failure," called that candidates policies an "act of ... hypocrisy," all in print.

All that said, I doubt that this comment is very damaging, Onorato didn't exploit it well, and even feel some of the sentiment Bullmoose does.

Part of the point of unemployment is to prevent people from having to leave their career field to take other jobs out of desperation.  It does the economy little good in general having someone with a Masters degree being a janitor.  The problem we have now is we need to stop our current race to the bottom.  I'm sorry, I'm not putting on my running shoes and any politician that thinks I should will not get my vote Dem or GOP. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 07:28:21 PM »

Part of the point of unemployment is to prevent people from having to leave their career field to take other jobs out of desperation.  It does the economy little good in general having someone with a Masters degree being a janitor.  The problem we have now is we need to stop our current race to the bottom.  I'm sorry, I'm not putting on my running shoes and any politician that thinks I should will not get my vote Dem or GOP. 

And that is why Corbett's is running 6-10 points ahead.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 07:35:15 PM »

No because people think he's prosecutor extraordinare and Onorato isn't that well known yet.  Wait till the ads come out.  I'm calling this as a sleeper for Onorato.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 07:41:59 PM »

No because people think he's prosecutor extraordinare and Onorato isn't that well known yet.  Wait till the ads come out.  I'm calling this as a sleeper for Onorato.

And because he's resonating with people, with comments like that.

I'm looking for someone other that Tom Corbett, Space Cadet, and Onorato doesn't look any better.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 08:07:25 PM »

And because he's resonating with people, with comments like that.

I'm looking for someone other that Tom Corbett, Space Cadet, and Onorato doesn't look any better.

Will there be a 3rd party challenger?  Green? Libertarian? Constitution?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 09:12:07 PM »

The attitude from a couple of posters in this thread about how people should just "go get a job" is hilariously naive and frightening in how widespread such a stupid sentiment is.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 09:39:16 PM »

The attitude from a couple of posters in this thread about how people should just "go get a job" is hilariously naive and frightening in how widespread such a stupid sentiment is.

No, but there is a mindset in PA like that.

Here is a letter to the Centre County PA paper:  http://www.centredaily.com/2010/07/17/2098858/unemployment-system-needs-work.html?pageNum=1&&mi_pluck_action=page_nav#Comments_Container

It was posted after I commented on this thread.

A lot of the comments on it are like that.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 11:59:27 PM »

No, but there is a mindset in PA like that.

Here is a letter to the Centre County PA paper:  http://www.centredaily.com/2010/07/17/2098858/unemployment-system-needs-work.html?pageNum=1&&mi_pluck_action=page_nav#Comments_Container

It was posted after I commented on this thread.

A lot of the comments on it are like that.

Gee, I read the Inquirer's article and most of those posters were grilling Corbett for his assinine comments.  With PA's unemployment @ 9.4% reported and about 20% actual, I don't think Corbett's reasonating with people.  He made a gaffe and if Onorato exploits this correctly, and he still can, he will definitely come from behind. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 12:59:58 PM »

Corbett doesn't deserve these numbers but with the Senate GOP blocking unemployment, Sestak will surely benefit and Toomey will lose out, because doesn't support such extension, hopefully we will get a split.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 01:51:18 PM »

Corbett doesn't deserve these numbers but with the Senate GOP blocking unemployment, Sestak will surely benefit and Toomey will lose out, because doesn't support such extension, hopefully we will get a split.

Assuming the voters don't blame the dems (the prez, the congress etc) for continuing to need those benefits in the first place. 

Sure blocking benefits is gonna hurt, but I'm guessing not as badly as one would hope.
timmer123
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 02:26:11 AM »

He is right.  Some would rather keep collecting unemployment than return to work.  We can't have people on unemployment benefits ad infinitum. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 04:54:16 PM »

The difference here is that Corbett, like many Republicans, are subscribing to the myth that lazy layabouts suckling off the taxpayer teat and living high off the hog on their $1200/month unemployment is the true cause of persistent unemployment, not the cherished scared and all correcting Invisible Hand of The Free Market.

"Some people". Well, "some" strictly defined meaning more than one, NO ONE debates there are at least 2 unemployed Pennsylvanians (there's quite a pool to choose from, you see) are too lazy to get an available job. Congratulations conservative super-sleuths. Its clear however Corbett and his ilk's version of "some" = "a hell of a lot" or even "most".

One of my best friends was on unemployment for over a year. Did a great job with his former employer until they got hit hard in the downturn. He had to go and document his attempts at job hunting rather than sitting on the couch all day. And you know why most people are reluctant to get a "lesser" job than their former one? Because if they earn too much money they lose their unemployment. My friend had to limit the hours he worked part time as a tutor to avoid losing benefits that would've resulted in him and his wife getting evicted. Yes, a laid off computer programmer may get more on unemployment then as a janitor. Although pride may have something to do with that person's reluctance to go back to work full time for less money than paid for full time job hunting, I suspect being able to pay the mortgage and feed his family might be involved somewhere too. My friend, FWIW, got a full time job last month that he has a 2 and a half hour round trip commute for, so fear not that he's still picking the taxpayers pocket anymore.

The same conservatives who don't blink twice at spiraling debt from upper income tax cuts suddenly become strident deficit hawks when it comes to unemployment benefits for the most down on their luck. This has nothing--nothing--to do with being tough on fraud or economic growth, and everything to do with simply who politicians do and do not relate to and care about. When conservatives want to repeal the estate tax so the Paris Hiltons of the world get get all of daddy's money without paying a dime towards the society (or incurred debt) that laid the foundation of that wealth, but oppose extending unemployment benefits at a fraction of the cost, its because in their secure unrepresentative little cocooned world of lobbyists and fundraisers they know many more of the 1-2% of persons actually effected by the estate tax than they do who are actually struggling to get a job.

Sadly, the same apparently holds for too many forum posters too.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies