Hooray!!! Polanski Freed!!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:08:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hooray!!! Polanski Freed!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Hooray!!! Polanski Freed!!!  (Read 4925 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2010, 02:46:57 PM »

Polanski free, Swiss reject US extradition request

Yes yes yes - I feel a sense of great comfort that the prudes do lose once in a while.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 03:43:46 PM »

So you feel good about allowing a pedophile to go free? OK, suit yourself.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 03:47:03 PM »

I admit it... I loled when I first heard this.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 05:44:47 PM »

If you want to get away with anally raping preteens after you've drugged them for that very purpose, it helps to have liberal friends.  We all knew opebo was a sick monster when it comes to the "lesser" sex, I sometimes forget who joins him in that club.  This thread should help me there.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 05:54:38 PM »

If you want to get away with anally raping preteens after you've drugged them for that very purpose, it helps to have liberal friends.  We all knew opebo was a sick monster when it comes to the "lesser" sex, I sometimes forget who joins him in that club.  This thread should help me there.

Actually, it helps to have directed "Chinatown" and "The Pianist". I guess you could get a way with a murder with a resume like that one.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 06:12:03 PM »

I hate Europe sometimes...
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 06:17:02 PM »

Actually, it helps to have directed "Chinatown" and "The Pianist". I guess you could get a way with a murder with a resume like that one.

No, for murder you need "Capricorn One" and "The Naked Gun" on your resume
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 07:05:11 PM »

Polanski free, Swiss reject US extradition request

Yes yes yes - I feel a sense of great comfort that the prudes do lose once in a while.

I'm afraid, I must be a prude then
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 10:08:37 PM »

people who want to prosecute Statutory rape= prudes? WTF
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 04:02:19 AM »

Yes, the sexually liberated position would be that the 'statutory' aspect makes it oppression.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 11:21:02 AM »

Yes, the sexually liberated position would be that the 'statutory' aspect makes it oppression.

Problem is opebo, it wasn't just statutory rape, it was rape rape that he would have been just as guilty of if his victim had been the age she is now when he committed his crime.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 11:26:23 AM »

Problem is opebo, it wasn't just statutory rape, it was rape rape that he would have been just as guilty of if his victim had been the age she is now when he committed his crime.

Silly Ernest, don't you realize that rape is just a construct made up by the prudish wealthy elite as an effort to keep their female slaves from having fantastic surprise sex with other men?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 11:33:14 AM »

Guys, the whole thing was a witch hunt, and there wasn't really any proof, but believe what you will..
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 11:37:31 AM »

Guys, the whole thing was a witch hunt, and there wasn't really any proof, but believe what you will..

Frankly I'm fine with him being let go since the victim wants to drop the charges and he's paid her a fair deal of money for her troubles. I'm responding to your attitudes towards certain other things.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 08:45:49 PM »

Frankly I'm fine with him being let go since the victim wants to drop the charges....

I'm not fine with it. A crime was committed and whether the victim wants to prosecute or not is irrelevant. The state can file charges even if the victim is antagonistic or refuses. I'm sure you already know that though. He's already plead guilty and fled from it, the victim is irrelevant at this point, he's basically a fugitive. I would suggest the FBI sneaking some agents in there and arresting him irregardless of what Switzerland says or does. What will the Swiss do? Declare neutral on the US?

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 09:01:39 PM »

He drugged & raped a 13 year old despite her repeated requests for him to stop.  That's rape rape, and should no be condoned no matter what his artistic talent may or may not be.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 09:06:08 PM »

He drugged & raped a 13 year old despite her repeated requests for him to stop.  That's rape rape, and should no be condoned no matter what his artistic talent may or may not be.

You know, maybe U.S. likes to put (and in some state even execute) an elderly people in jail for lifetime. Sorry, but that's no my taste.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 09:08:02 PM »

He drugged & raped a 13 year old despite her repeated requests for him to stop.  That's rape rape, and should no be condoned no matter what his artistic talent may or may not be.

You know, maybe U.S. likes to put (and in some state even execute) an elderly people in jail for lifetime. Sorry, but that's no my taste.

A crime is a crime, what does age matter? Do you support jailing that Nazi they caught and tried a year or two ago?

Age ain't nothin' but a number.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 09:08:08 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2010, 09:10:16 PM by Lunar »

So there should be an age limit for jailtime?  Once you hit 76 years old, which Polanski is, you can no longer receive a long jail sentence for drugging and raping a 13 year old girl, despite her begging you to stop?  

I'm inclined to let judge's assign reduced jailtime, within whatever sentencing guidelines exist for the crime, for elderly offenders, but this is a very serious crime.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 09:10:51 PM »

So there should be an age limit for jailtime?  Once you hit 76 years old, which Polanski is, you can no longer receive a long jail sentence for drugging and raping a 13 year old girl?  

Polański crime was awful and I neither can nor want to deny this. However, right now, I'd consider other factors like age, that thing happened almosy 40 years ago, Judge misconduct during orginal presecution plus, simply, man very tragic life.

Should he be find guilty? Of course. Should get a sentence? Of course? Should spend rest of his days in American jail? Hell no. And since in a place called America that would happen, yes, Im freaking glad of Swiss decision. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 09:14:36 PM »

Should spend rest of his days in American jail?

I bet an American prison is far more luxurious then what he'd get in Poland.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 09:15:07 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2010, 09:16:51 PM by Lunar »

Many of those charged with political corruption: Ted Stevens in Alaska, Joe Bruno in New York, are also very old, older than Polanski, despite committing crimes much less severe than drugging and raping a 13 year old girl.

Should they be let go or given slaps on the wrist?  Hell no.  Cutting double standards for celebrities undercuts a substantial part of the entire judicial system.

I'm not sure what the "right" sentence is here.  Polanski is 76.   I think there could be some kind of reduced length of jailtime where he would get out of jail while still alive, given how long ago the crime occurred, and his lack of criminal record since then, and his age.  I'm not demanding he's put in jail for life, but I'm demanding that he be punished appropriately for the extremely crime he committed -- that punishment can take into account all kinds of contexts regarding to Polanski's biography and be mitigated whatever amount is appropriate.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 10:28:11 PM »

I'm not sure what the "right" sentence is here.  Polanski is 76.   I think there could be some kind of reduced length of jailtime where he would get out of jail while still alive, given how long ago the crime occurred, and his lack of criminal record since then, and his age.

See Lunar, Polański surely deserved a punishment. I guess we can both agree on this. However, giving those severeal factors, I'd find severe prison punishment even as awful as his crime was.

Elaborate.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 12:03:12 AM »

I'm not sure what the "right" sentence is here.  Polanski is 76.   I think there could be some kind of reduced length of jailtime where he would get out of jail while still alive, given how long ago the crime occurred, and his lack of criminal record since then, and his age.

See Lunar, Polański surely deserved a punishment. I guess we can both agree on this. However, giving those severeal factors, I'd find severe prison punishment even as awful as his crime was.
Yeah, all you have to do is run from justice until you're an old man then you're free and clear.  That's a great precedence to set!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 12:10:26 AM »

Or you could kill a few hundred get cancer and get to go free.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies