Austrian victory in the 7 Weeks War
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:06:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Austrian victory in the 7 Weeks War
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Austrian victory in the 7 Weeks War  (Read 1214 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:25:22 PM »

Könätz goes better for the Austrians.  Austria does not cede Venice to the Italians, Prussia's coalition falls apart, von Bismarck laughed out of office.  What's next?  Does a Germany form eventually?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:07:06 PM »

While Austria could have won Könätz, all that was likely to result from that was that Prussia would win the 7 Months War instead of the 7 Weeks War.  Prussia's only significant ally was Italy which would have no reason to abandon Prussia so early.  Most of the German Confederation had supported Austria in the war. What a longer war would have achieved is allowed or states such as Hannover to instead of being annexed by Prussia, retain independence, albeit within a Prussian dominated North German Confederation.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 11:19:12 PM »

I think you're overestimating Italy's ability to contribute to a Prussian victory and the Prussian military itself.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 12:10:46 AM »

I think you're overestimating Italy's ability to contribute to a Prussian victory and the Prussian military itself.

I'll take breech-loading rifles over muzzle-loaders any day.  I'll grant that Italy's main contribution was to keep the Austrians from being able to concentrate their forces against Prussia.  However, Austria was in no shape economically to fight a long war over keeping Venetia and the German Confederation.  The best Austria could hope for out of winning Könätz is either better terms that what the Peace of Prague provided after such a short war where the Austrians had so consistently done so poorly against the Prussians or another major power entering on their side.  Problem is, no major power was inclined to do so.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies