Politico: "DGA campaign torches Brady"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:26:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Politico: "DGA campaign torches Brady"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politico: "DGA campaign torches Brady"  (Read 968 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:33:22 AM »

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0710/39643.html

http://www.StopBillBrady.com
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:41:02 AM »

Mr. Moderate's first law of politics: When the Democratic candidate starts campaigning on the issue of abortion, they're running a doomed campaign.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 07:46:26 AM »

Mr. Moderate's first law of politics: When the Democratic candidate starts campaigning on the issue of abortion, they're running a doomed campaign.

Not the Democratic candidate.

Brady has some pretty extreme votes, routinely willing to be one of two or three state legislators to vote a certain way on a bill, makes sense to mention his opposition to funding domestic abuse programs, requiring insurance coverage of mammograms for women over 40, etc., in that light imo.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 07:59:07 AM »

I repeat: Democrats should never ever ever ever ever discuss the issue of abortion in the general election setting to point out the difference between their pro-choice candidate and a pro-life Republican. Especially in paid media.

Pro-choice swing voters never vote for Democrats on the abortion issue. They'll register in polls saying they're less likely to vote for a Republican because of it, but when push comes to shove, it's so down on the list of their priorities that it doesn't matter.

Running ads that feature abortion do more to hurt than help, because they energize pro-life Republican core voters. Ask Shannon O'Brien if she regrets framing Romney as extreme because of his views on abortion. Or Jon Corzine re: Chris Christie. Or every female Democrat who's run in New Jersey against a pro-life Republican—they always bring it up.

The mammogram issue is a solid one for Quinn (or any Democrat). Mentioning Brady's pro-life stand in the same ad blunts the effectiveness of the message.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 11:46:36 AM »

Well I hope the RGA understands the Chicago way

If they send one of yours to the hospital......
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 11:08:47 PM »

Ugh, I hate all of this demagoguery.  Make it stop!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 02:20:30 PM »

I read this paragraph 3 times and I still don't get it.  Could somebody help?

The ad takes advantage of two of Brady’s most serious vulnerabilities: his downstate base, which leaves in a weaker starting position against Gov. Pat Quinn in Illinois’s population center, and his conservative voting record.

Particularly this portion "his downstate base, which leaves in a weaker starting position against Gov. Pat Quinn in Illinois's population center..."
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 02:29:34 PM »

I think I figured it out.. the writer forgot to include the word "him" between "leaves" and "in".

Then it all falls together.  Usually my brain just automatically puts in missed words like that... but this time it didn't and it seemed rather jarring.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 01:35:49 AM »

I think I figured it out.. the writer forgot to include the word "him" between "leaves" and "in".

Then it all falls together.  Usually my brain just automatically puts in missed words like that... but this time it didn't and it seemed rather jarring.

I think that was it. I'm a bit skeptical of the claim that the downstate base hurts. Downstate voting numbers don't usually fall off from presidential to off year as much as the city numbers do. Blago exploited this to win by investing downstate and it worked for him. Quinn understood this when he went to Simon as a replacement running mate.

In any case, all I hear this summer makes me think that the election will primarily be a referendum of the fiscal condition of IL.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies