2009 Maine Proposition 1 Referendum by town (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:22:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2009 Maine Proposition 1 Referendum by town (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2009 Maine Proposition 1 Referendum by town  (Read 7164 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« on: July 14, 2010, 01:55:53 PM »

You would think the results would have been less close by looking at the map. It definitely highlights No on 1's downfall, which was outreach in central Maine. Had they focused on Lewiston and Augusta as much as Portland and the York region, it would have been different.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.  Portland, Lewiston and Augusta are all in the same TV market.

What I see is the liberal coast versus conservative interior pattern that we usually see in states like California - well, at least up to Bar Harbor.  The Bangor and Presque Isle TV markets appear to have voted yes (Presque Isle is obvious; Bangor would require an analysis of coast vs. interior to be sure), while the Portland-Auburn DMA seems to have voted no.

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 02:35:08 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2010, 03:05:01 PM by cinyc »

The Bangor and Presque Isle TV markets appear to have voted yes (Presque Isle is obvious; Bangor would require an analysis of coast vs. interior to be sure),

Bangor proper voted no along with Old Town and very liberal Orono. However, the yes votes from the surrounding very conservative towns (between Bangor and Dover-Foxcroft) almost certainly cancelled out Yes' margins in the cities.

We'd also have to factor in the coastal towns in the Bar Harbor area, which are in the Bangor TV market.  It's Waldo, Hancock, Washington, Penobscot, Piscataquis and Somerset Counties.

Edit: By my math based on the Bangor Daily News' numbers, Yes won the Bangor DMA with about 58% of the vote and Presque Isle DMA with 73%.  No barely squeaked by in the Portland-Auburn DMA with 50.5%.

What's the one town in Washington County that voted no?  Inidian Township Indian Reservation?  Princeton?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 01:25:12 PM »

You would think the results would have been less close by looking at the map. It definitely highlights No on 1's downfall, which was outreach in central Maine. Had they focused on Lewiston and Augusta as much as Portland and the York region, it would have been different.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.  Portland, Lewiston and Augusta are all in the same TV market.

Is TV ads really all that matter in campaigns to you? I was talking about face-to-face community outreach and phonebanks compared to just advertising.

The majority of spending on both sides was for TV and radio ads.  So yes, TV and radio advertising does matter to me most.

According to Ballotopedia, the no side spent 3 times as much on TV and radio ads as they did on mailing and signs, and about 10 times as much as they did on "telephone use".   The disparity for the yes side was even higher - 5 times more than mailing and signs and 1637 times as much as on "telephone use".

Perhaps the nos should have been more respectful of the power of TV advertising and ditched the annoying call centers.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies