Two Questions About the Bush Family
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:57:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Two Questions About the Bush Family
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Two Questions About the Bush Family  (Read 9643 times)
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2010, 02:11:54 PM »

1. How will history look back on W's presidency? I think that it will look back on him like Harry S Truman - not a good President, but not a bad one either. One who wasn't afraid to make extremley unpopular decisions.

2. Do any Bushes have a political future? If so, which ones? I would be tempted to say Jeb and George P.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 02:18:55 PM »

Uh, Truman's regularly ranked in the top ten of all Presidents, FWIW, not merely "not a good President, but not a bad one".

More to the point, Bush was a really, really awful President who nearly singlehandedly destroyed the United States' international reputation, created the worst recession in some eighty years and entangled the country in a messy conflict in Iraq.

But you're like eight years old so GTFO.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 02:32:29 PM »

1. Truman is viewed as a great President by historians, not simply as an average President. And even if Iraq becomes a permanent democracy and causes a domino effect throughout the Middle East causing the other dictatorships there to collapse as well, Bush would still be regarded as a miserable failure due to the financial crisis.
2. Jeb certainly doesn't have a political future. Maybe George P. or some other younger Bush does, but probably not for 20-30 years. Many young people still remember Bush pretty well and view him as a horrible President, and they are still going to be a large voting bloc for 20-30 more years.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 05:19:02 PM »

I know you haven't studied US History in school yet (being 12 and all), but Truman is usually considered one of the greatest Presidents.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 05:30:41 PM »

Like Bush, Truman was a disaster of a president who was highly unpopular when he left office. Over time, the court historians 'vindicated' his legacy. The same will happen with George W. Bush.
cpeeks
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 06:22:54 PM »

Like Bush, Truman was a disaster of a president who was highly unpopular when he left office. Over time, the court historians 'vindicated' his legacy. The same will happen with George W. Bush.

lol not a chance
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »

lol not a chance

History will forget the recession, all it'll remember is what will be perceived as a success story in Iraq.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 06:49:37 PM »

1. How will history look back on W's presidency? I think that it will look back on him like Harry S Truman - not a good President, but not a bad one either. One who wasn't afraid to make extremley unpopular decisions.

Bush > Truman

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I wouldn't expect it.
cpeeks
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 09:11:38 PM »

lol not a chance

History will forget the recession, all it'll remember is what will be perceived as a success story in Iraq.

LOL WHAT?Huh?? This recession will never be forgotten,and what succes in Iraq are you talking about?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 09:24:47 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2010, 09:31:45 PM by Rochambeau »

lol not a chance

I seriously doubt people will forget the worst financial crisis and one of the worst recessions in over 75 years. Also, they won't forget that it occurred completely under Bush's watch and that he could have stopped it but didn't. Also, people will remember Bush negatively for ruining our international reputation, for the massive corruption in his Administration, for squandering our surplus, and for the mess he gave Obama to inherit in Afghanistan. And finally, I'm not so sure Iraq (which we invaded under false pretenses) wouldn't become a dictatorship or wouldn't have a civil war sometime in the future. Heck, historians still rank Warren G. Harding as one of the worst Presidents in American history almost 90 years after his Presidency ended due to the corruption in his Administration, despite the fact that he wasn't involved in any of it (and didn't even know about it for a long time). Historians completely ignore the positive aspects of the Harding Administration such as the balanced budgets and the economic recovery. What makes you think Bush Jr.'s legacy would be any different? I'm pretty sure history won't be kind to Bush Jr.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 09:43:09 PM »

lol not a chance

I seriously doubt people will forget the worst financial crisis and one of the worst recessions in over 75 years. Also, they won't forget that it occurred completely under Bush's watch and that he could have stopped it but didn't. Also, people will remember Bush negatively for ruining our international reputation, for the massive corruption in his Administration, for squandering our surplus, and for the mess he gave Obama to inherit in Afghanistan. And finally, I'm not so sure Iraq (which we invaded under false pretenses) wouldn't become a dictatorship or wouldn't have a civil war sometime in the future. Heck, historians still rank Warren G. Harding as one of the worst Presidents in American history almost 90 years after his Presidency ended due to the corruption in his Administration, despite the fact that he wasn't involved in any of it (and didn't even know about it for a long time). Historians completely ignore the positive aspects of the Harding Administration such as the balanced budgets and the economic recovery. What makes you think Bush Jr.'s legacy would be any different? I'm pretty sure history won't be kind to Bush Jr.

Yes, a comparison between Warren G. Harding and Harry S. Truman is quite enlightening. Harding was a decent human being, an unwilling president who didn't care for power but who oversaw a period of freedom and prosperity after the horrors of the Wilson era. Truman was a power-mad authoritarian blowhard responsible for mass-murder who attempted to centralize control over the economy and set the precedent for launching undeclared wars by executive fiat.

Per the court historians, Harding is ranked toward the bottom; Truman is ranked near the top.

Of course George W. Bush is going to be ranked toward the top when the dust settles.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 09:47:29 PM »

lol not a chance

Yes, a comparison between Warren G. Harding and Harry S. Truman is quite enlightening. Harding was a decent human being, an unwilling president who didn't care for power but who oversaw a period of freedom and prosperity after the horrors of the Wilson era. Truman was a power-mad authoritarian blowhard responsible for mass-murder who attempted to centralize control over the economy and set the precedent for launching undeclared wars by executive fiat.

Per the court historians, Harding is ranked toward the bottom; Truman is ranked near the top.

Of course George W. Bush is going to be ranked toward the top when the dust settles.

To be honest, I think Harding is underrated. And I was using Harding as a comparison because I think Bush Jr.'s legacy is going to be similar to his--very bad. People will primary remember the bad aspects of the Bush Jr. Presidency while ignoring the more potentially positive aspects.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 11:00:23 PM »

lol not a chance

To be honest, I think Harding is underrated. And I was using Harding as a comparison because I think Bush Jr.'s legacy is going to be similar to his--very bad. People will primary remember the bad aspects of the Bush Jr. Presidency while ignoring the more potentially positive aspects.

Except Bush was more like Truman than like Harding.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 11:01:55 PM »

History will judge them very well. Many of our best presidents weren't popular when they were in office. Bush's dad had the best foreign policy out of any president so far, keeping the people of Kuwait safe and helping with the transition of the Soviet Union. Most people don't know this either but 6 months leading up to the 1992 election, the economy grew by 8%. As for Bush Jr., he lowered taxes for tax paying Americans, kept the US safe after 9/11, and liberated 50 million people.
cpeeks
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 05:55:09 PM »

History will judge them very well. Many of our best presidents weren't popular when they were in office. Bush's dad had the best foreign policy out of any president so far, keeping the people of Kuwait safe and helping with the transition of the Soviet Union. Most people don't know this either but 6 months leading up to the 1992 election, the economy grew by 8%. As for Bush Jr., he lowered taxes for tax paying Americans, kept the US safe after 9/11, and liberated 50 million people.

Lol you cant liberate somone when there not occupied, geez!!!!!!!
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 05:56:59 PM »

They have free elections and we should be there to help as long as it takes. I love spreading democracy around the world. Just ask the Iraqi people I've listened to about how thankful they are for Bush and our military.
cpeeks
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 10:27:03 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2010, 10:31:55 PM by cpeeks »

LOL yea their really happy,when have you been to Iraq and talked to these women to know whats going on?They hate Bush and our military. Do you know that there have been  fliers hangin up on trees offering ransoms for ever american soldier thats killed. Why dont you go join the military? In fact I will go sign up again with you on the buddy platoon and go with you, just so you could actually see whats going on .LOL Yea free elections where they get blowed up standing in line, yea there much better off LOL, And why are we spreading "democracy" when we dont have democracy here were a republic. Bush screwed that country up and they want us out
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 10:40:03 PM »

lol not a chance

Maybe history will forget Bush's other recession, but they won't forget this one.
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 01:12:49 AM »

From thread creator's profile

LOL
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 01:43:32 AM »

Long term, I think G W Bush increases. At worst, it is a Ford analogy on the economy.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 02:30:54 PM »

They have free elections and we should be there to help as long as it takes. I love spreading democracy around the world. Just ask the Iraqi people I've listened to about how thankful they are for Bush and our military.

How about we liberate North Korea next? I'm sure the North Korean people would be even more grateful to the U.S. than the Iraqis were after the U.S. invaded Iraq. After we would establish a new friendly govt. in North Korea, we can then withdraw all our remaining troops from East Asia because they won't longer be needed there and thus we can finally start to decrease our deficit, which is what you Republicans claim you want to do so much.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 03:33:34 PM »

lol not a chance

Except Bush was more like Truman than like Harding.

I think all three were decent Presidents.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 04:01:46 PM »

From thread creator's profile

LOL

Shut up
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 04:11:03 PM »

To be fair, you did make a typo.
feeblepizza