Bush vs. Edwards
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:13:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bush vs. Edwards
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bush vs. Edwards  (Read 8906 times)
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2004, 07:12:50 AM »

What do you think? How John Edwards would have succeeded against Bush? I consider that he would have done a little better especially among working class and women, probably would have picked up Ohio, Iowa and New Mexico.

About women and Bush. My mom vote mostly greens (but is centrist moderate in our standarts) here in Finland, but it seems that she is very delighted about Bush as person.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 07:46:21 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2005, 06:54:13 AM by Umengus »

What do you think? How John Edwards would have succeeded against Bush? I consider that he would have done a little better especially among working class and women, probably would have picked up Ohio, Iowa and New Mexico.

About women and Bush. My mom vote mostly greens (but is centrist moderate in our standarts) here in Finland, but it seems that she is very delighted about Bush as person.

I strongly agree. With Edwards, dem would be in the withe house for next 8 years (and 16 with Obama after). We have chosen the wrong man...
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 08:41:16 AM »

Edwards isn't popular. He is just as liberal as Kerry is, and he proved to be a drag on this ticket. Kerry should have chosen Gephardt or Clark, now obvious to most people. Clark would have given him more foreign policy credibility, Gephardt would have given him more of a union appeal. Bush actually did well with a lot of unions this year.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 08:52:34 AM »

We nominated the wrong man...
Hey you're from Belgium not from the USA! I think you affiliate yourself as American democrat a little too stronly.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 09:11:16 AM »

On reflection Gephardt or Clark would probably have beaten Bush by a solid margin.
Edwards would probably have (just) edged it.

But to be fair to Kerry he didn't actually do *badly*... it's still only a narrow win for Bush.
Certainly a credible preformance... and had his advisors and analysts not been so ing stupid and quit fight 2000 all over again, I think he could have won it.

Oh well...

The House results (ignore Texas) are reason to smile though... 2006 will be very, very interesting.

And Santorum must be shaking in his boots... always a nice thought, that...
---
Just heard that turnout was up by about 10 Million. Not as much as hoped for.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 09:57:46 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

And why is that?  Because Kerry won Penn. by 120K?  Massive turnout in central PA made the state closer than it should have been.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 09:59:57 AM »

i dont quite understand the democrats love affair with john edwards.  looking at the returns, he didnt really help kerry much last night.

the democrats said that edwards and his silly populism was going to help in nc, va, wv and oh.  turns out the voters rebuked that outdated message.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 10:07:43 AM »

And why is that?  Because Kerry won Penn. by 120K?  Massive turnout in central PA made the state closer than it should have been.

Actually because Hoeffel came shockingly close to knocking off Specter
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 10:11:15 AM »

Actually because Hoeffel came shockingly close to knocking off Specter

11% is close.  What is a blowout then?
42% of the vote is not impressive.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 10:24:49 AM »

True, but most of the time he was polling lower than that. He did better than I expected him to do (but as I wanted Specter to win this was kinda worrying).

I exaggerated (everyone else is doing it. Why not me? ahahaha...) I should have said "if Hoeffel runs in 2006 Santorum could be in trouble".

Too much coffee is bad for thinking
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 10:29:31 AM »

True, but most of the time he was polling lower than that. He did better than I expected him to do (but as I wanted Specter to win this was kinda worrying).

I exaggerated (everyone else is doing it. Why not me? ahahaha...) I should have said "if Hoeffel runs in 2006 Santorum could be in trouble".

Fair enough:) I had a litre of booze last night and six cups of coffee this morning.  This election nearly killed me.  Santorum gets out his base though and in off election years (non-Pres. elections) Philly doesn't come out as much.  W/O big Philly turnout Penn. is a pretty conservative state,
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 10:34:40 AM »

I think that John Edwards could have possibly done better than Kerry (who - yes- didn't do badly at all against an incumbent), but during his speech last night, it just hit me how robotic he is.  Anybody notice that he's only got one body movement - the arms-extended thumbs up?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 10:59:12 AM »

Fair enough:) I had a litre of booze last night and six cups of coffee this morning.  This election nearly killed me.  Santorum gets out his base though and in off election years (non-Pres. elections) Philly doesn't come out as much.  W/O big Philly turnout Penn. is a pretty conservative state,

True, but Evangelical turnout will be lower in 2006. Santorum v Hoeffel could be very close.

Guess it depends how the next 2 years go
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 11:02:30 AM »

I think there were one person in the democratic primary who could have won this: Joe Lieberman. His faith in God and the "war on terror" would have put him over the top.

Edwards would have been character assasinated just as Kerry. Dean, Gephardt and Clark all would have been crushed.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2004, 11:13:06 AM »

I think there were one person in the democratic primary who could have won this: Joe Lieberman. His faith in God and the "war on terror" would have put him over the top.

Edwards would have been character assasinated just as Kerry. Dean, Gephardt and Clark all would have been crushed.

I tend to agree.  I think Lieberman would have been the best candidate for the general election; it's just that anybody who shows too much sense on the issues can't get past the Democratic primary voters.

Lieberman would have been in a good position to take moderate undecided voters, and Bush would not have been the only choice for those concerned about national security.  He also may have made a big difference with the Jewish vote in a state like Florida.

Back in the days when the nominees were decided by the party bosses in smoke filled rooms (that's how Harry Truman became Roosevelt's VP and ultimately president), Lieberman may well have been the pick.

I thought Gephardt might have done OK because of his quasi-southern roots and his greater strength on national security issues than Democrats usually show.

I think Edwards would have lost to Bush, and Dean would have gotten the stuffing (substitute for a cruder word) knocked out of him by Bush.  Now the Republicans need to nominate somebody who can beat the s**t out of Hillary in 2008.
bushforever
bushwillwin

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2004, 08:52:56 PM »

I think the reason John Kerry did ok against Bush is that he appeared somewhat strong and had a good mantra, and for a while, a believable war hero aura.  John Edwards may seem nice, but he can easily turn Al Gore-mean.  At the same time, he seems like such a wuss.  I'm sorry, but Bush would have made Edwards his b!t*h if he ran against him.  The whole trial lawyer thing would have turned against him as well.  I also think they would have continued to portray Edwards as a pretty boy.  Most people would rather have a strong leader than a girlie man in office.  John Edwards also has a very liberal record in the Senate.  Edwards, like Kerry would have nowhere to run away from the L-word Senate record, no war service to disguise it.  The dad-was-a-mill-worker thing could have gotten old too.  Although being a southern might have helped him some, but I doubt it, if Al Gore couldn't win TN or AR in 2000.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2004, 09:56:48 PM »

Edwards turned out to be a dud.  Got slaughtered in his home state and throughout the South.

Pretty boy is finished.
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2004, 09:59:38 PM »

I think Edwards would have goten the same as Kerry, Mabey he would have won Iowa, But he would have lost New Hampshire. I think Clark would have had the best shot.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2004, 11:20:34 PM »

I tend to think Clark would have done the best of all the Democratic candidates, as long as he didn't say something completely embarrassing.  But Edwards would have done a little better than Kerry too.  He probably wouldn't have won any states in the South, but he could have won Iowa and Ohio.

Gephardt and Lieberman wouldn't have been very good nominees.  Lieberman wasn't willing to criticize Bush on the war at all, and would have suppresses turnout among the true believers.  Gephardt would have been just as wishy-washy as Kerry on the war, and he has repeatedly demonstrated that he has no national electoral appeal.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 11:31:38 PM »

Clark seemed to have skeletons in his closet.  I supported him during the primaries, but I think he would have had a scandal or two in the general election which would have killed him.
bushforever
bushwillwin

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2004, 11:40:35 PM »

Clark is a little too wishy-washy.  But I must say I wouldn't mind having him as my president, especially considering the other dem choices...Sharpton, Kucinich, Edwards, Braun, Kerry, Gephardt, Dean...lol.  Lieberman maybe, but al-qaida would attack us like crazy, cause isn't Lieberman a Jew??
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2004, 12:42:06 AM »

Clark seemed to have skeletons in his closet.  I supported him during the primaries, but I think he would have had a scandal or two in the general election which would have killed him.

Yeah, he had little things that would have hurt him.  Like the time he ordered the British to start WWIII.  That might have hurt him a bit.
bushforever
bushwillwin

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2004, 01:02:37 AM »

Yeah, he had little things that would have hurt him.  Like the time he ordered the British to start WWIII.  That might have hurt him a bit.

World War III.  Say what?!?
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2004, 04:40:10 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2004, 04:43:56 AM by Umengus »

We nominated the wrong man...
Hey you're from Belgium not from the USA! I think you affiliate yourself as American democrat a little too stronly.

you are right... but, you know, I have observed the american elections for the beginning of the dem  primaries processus and with the time, I was identified to the dem party.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2004, 08:01:55 AM »

Yes, his NATO record (and pending criminal court lawsuit) would have been all over the media and in the commercials.  Nice guy, but he would have been raked over the "public opinion" coals.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies