FDR vs. Hoover in 1932 w/out the Depression
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:00:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  FDR vs. Hoover in 1932 w/out the Depression
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FDR vs. Hoover in 1932 w/out the Depression  (Read 5344 times)
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2010, 02:19:15 PM »

The Depression of 1929 is successfully diverted, and the popular President Hoover is challenged in 1932 by Governor Franklin Roosevelt (D-New York). Who wins? I say Hoover:

Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 06:04:03 PM »

449-82
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:21:16 PM »

Does the stock market crash still occur? I'm assuming that it does, but that Hoover does not raise tariffs and increases govt. spending more, thus averting a Depression and having an unemployment of about 8-10% on Election Day 1932.

Here's my map:

Hoover wins 322-209.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 06:26:29 PM »

Does the stock market crash still occur? I'm assuming that it does, but that Hoover does not raise tariffs and increases govt. spending more, thus averting a Depression and having an unemployment of about 8-10% on Election Day 1932.

Here's my map:

Hoover wins 322-209.

If Smith couldn't win New York, then neither could Roosevelt without the Depression. He wouldn't have won Rhode Island either.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 06:37:42 PM »

Here's my map:

Hoover wins 322-209.

If Smith couldn't win New York, then neither could Roosevelt without the Depression. He wouldn't have won Rhode Island either.

The author of this thread was being kinda ambiguous by saying that the Great Depression is averted. Does the stock market crash still occur and the economy doesn't become as bad? Or is there no stock market crash in the first place? I assumed there was a stock market crash but that the economy didn't go into a Depression. That said, 8-10% unemployment is still worse than 4-5% unemployment (which was the rate in 1928), and thus I think FDR would get somewhat more support than Smith did. Also, FDR was more charismatic than Smith, and I think that would help FDR win NY and RI.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 08:21:48 PM »

Here's my map:

Hoover wins 322-209.

The author of this thread was being kinda ambiguous by saying that the Great Depression is averted. Does the stock market crash still occur and the economy doesn't become as bad? Or is there no stock market crash in the first place? I assumed there was a stock market crash but that the economy didn't go into a Depression. That said, 8-10% unemployment is still worse than 4-5% unemployment (which was the rate in 1928), and thus I think FDR would get somewhat more support than Smith did. Also, FDR was more charismatic than Smith, and I think that would help FDR win NY and RI.

Yes, that's what I meant.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 08:44:44 PM »

Here's my map:

Hoover wins 322-209.

NY and RI were more Republican than the national average even in the real pro-Democrat wave 1932. Why would they be more Democratic than average with a much better economy and in the midst of an incumbent Republican landslide?

The excitement of ethnic Catholics that flipped MA and RI and produced a strong Dem showing in NY in 1928 would not even be there in 1932.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 08:50:26 PM »

Dunno how this would play out.  More interesting question would be Hoover vs. Smith in 1928 if Black Tuesday had taken place in October 1928 rather than October 1929.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 11:34:52 PM »

Dunno how this would play out.  More interesting question would be Hoover vs. Smith in 1928 if Black Tuesday had taken place in October 1928 rather than October 1929.

If that was the case, Hoover would still win due to anti-Catholic bigotry and due to the fact that many people would feel that the GOP would still be able to navigate the country out of a crisis after creating several years of prosperity. People would still give Hoover the benefit of the doubt if the economy was poor for only a month.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies