Break the Chains Act [WITHDRAWN]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:12:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Break the Chains Act [WITHDRAWN]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Break the Chains Act [WITHDRAWN]  (Read 7766 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2010, 10:50:21 AM »

Nay
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2010, 03:38:01 PM »

This has the votes to pass. Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2010, 04:04:36 PM »

Senators in favor of the bill: Bacon King, Hans-im-Glück, Franzl, Badger, AHDuke (5)
Senators opposed: Libertas, Bgwah, Dallasfan65, NCYankee (4)
Senators abstaining: bullmoose88 (1)

This bill has hereby passed the Senate and is presented to President Purple State.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2010, 04:05:17 PM »

The passed bill, for the President's convenience:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2010, 04:19:21 PM »

A bill can pass with only 5 ayes?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2010, 05:06:43 PM »

With at least one abstention, yes.

Or if there is a vacancy in the Senate, but that's moot in this circumstance.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2010, 11:11:05 PM »

Libertas, you want to accept the President's changes or attempt to override?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2010, 11:17:32 PM »

Libertas, you want to accept the President's changes or attempt to override?

Those are the only two options?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2010, 07:44:17 AM »

I can certainly live with these changes, but perhaps the President could further explain for what other uses the revenue would be applied?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2010, 11:48:17 AM »

I can certainly live with these changes, but perhaps the President could further explain for what other uses the revenue would be applied?

How about for the Hiring Incentives Act Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2010, 02:05:25 PM »

Libertas: you have two options:

1. File a motion to approve the President’s redraft by a simple majority vote, and return it to the President for his signature or veto. If the vote fails, then you decide whether to send our version of the bill back to the Senate or for the Senate to restart debate.

OR,

2. You can just withdraw the bill from the Senate.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2010, 03:11:05 PM »

I like the President's amendment and would go with it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2010, 06:55:54 PM »

The rates have two purposes. One is to raise revenue and the other is to push companies to avoid growing too large. The extra revenue can be apportioned by the Senate (and Franzl seems to have a pretty bright idea Wink), but this also strengthens the bill's primary purpose significantly.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2010, 12:01:16 AM »

1. File a motion to approve the President’s redraft by a simple majority vote, and return it to the President for his signature or veto. If the vote fails, then you decide whether to send our version of the bill back to the Senate or for the Senate to restart debate.

OR,

In that case I would rather withdraw the bill from the Senate. I'd rather start all over again. The bill in it's current state is just totally ineffective and inefficient, and the president's amendment just adds a band-aid over a bad bill.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2010, 08:36:16 AM »

OR,

In that case I would rather withdraw the bill from the Senate. I'd rather start all over again. The bill in it's current state is just totally ineffective and inefficient, and the president's amendment just adds a band-aid over a bad bill.

I'd ask you to reconsider, Senator. You agreed to not withdraw an amended bill reading much as it does now.

Well, I'm not sure I would offer an amendment if it wasn't accepted as friendly. I was kind of waiting for Libertas's response.

I understand the Senate could amend the bill without the sponsor's consent. Still, I readily admit my idea to shield businesses from the tax until their number of outlets gets around triple digits, imposing the tax on a per store basis, and limiting the the use of such revenue to small business expansion without subsizing the already wealthy would dramatically change Libertas's vision of the bill. I'm not hesitant to do that per se but--and correct me if I'm wrong here, Mr. PPT--the sponsor of a measure can withdraw the measure from the floor even after its amended.

So I guess the ball is in your court, Libertas. I strongly suspect you'd oppose such sweeping changes as I've proposed, and if the amendment passing would cause you to withdraw the bill then I don't want to waste my time drafting a proposal. If, however, you would not withdraw the bill if the Senate passed such an amendment--even if you fight the amendment itself tooth and nail--then I'll put something forward.

But if you or any other senator would like to put forth an amendment that you feel keeps within the spirit of the law, I'm open...

I understand you may likely argue that this version is not "within the spirit of the law", but that is simply not correct for several reasons.

1) The amended version still has the same basic thrust as the original. Discouraging large conglomerate chains with a tax penalty related to size, and using the revenue raised to encourage the expansion of small business entrepreneurs. For reasons we've debated ad nauseum I understand the version passed did not go as far as you wanted (though the key word here may be "passed"; I frankly believe the original version would've been lucky to get more than 2 votes, and PS would've never signed it as was regardless), but the same result is indubitably "within the spirit of the law".

2) The changes in the amendment passed were hardly unexpected when you made the above statement agreeing not to withdraw an amended bill. The specific changes I proposed were: " to shield businesses from the tax until their number of outlets gets around triple digits, imposing the tax on a per store basis, and limiting the the use of such revenue to small business expansion without subsizing the already wealthy". This is exactly what the amendment did.

3) The President's proposed changes actually increases the tax rates that you felt the amendment had made too low. If you didn't withdraw the bill after the amendment passed (which, again, would've been contrary to your earlier promise) there's no reason to do so on what, from your perspective, is an at least slightly improved version from what the Senate passed.

I can understand concern over PS's request the revenue not be strictly allocated for small business development, but I gather that's not the reason for considering withdrawal of the bill as you describe the President's proposed changes as "a band-aid" rather than further undermining its goals. (IF that is truly an issue to you, maybe PS would consider signing a bill that limited the use of revenue raised pursuant to Section 6 for at least the first year of the Act?)

4) Ask yourself this:"Even if the amended measure doesn't go nearly as far as I wish, is it at least a slight improvement over the status quo?"

5) Even if you did ultimately withdraw this bill, PS's version could and probably would be submitted in the legislation que the same day. As we've already debated this to death I believe the Senate would have enough patience to simply pass the resubmitted measure without delay and get the darned thing signed. Tongue

As the amended bill is still unquestionably "within the spirit of the law", I sincerely hope you'll stand by your word and allow a vote on this measure.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2010, 12:22:47 PM »

On second look it appears that you had already reintroduced a similar version of the bill. All that typing for nothing...Tongue

At any rate, at first glance it appears the new version and the passed version are at at least in the same ballpark so there's room for further compromise, I guess (though I still think the taxation kicks in too early with as little as 15 stores).

BTW: Can you define "differential tax"? Is that simply a less wordy way of imposing the tax "per store"?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies