Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 06:39:40 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  Populares Convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Populares Convention  (Read 6369 times)
Jbrase
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2010, 01:26:16 pm »
Ignore

That's great.  Now what?
Well when han gets back on, we'll start to get to party business

feeblepizza
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2010, 02:16:19 pm »
Ignore

Vote is over
Hantheguitarman is the Convention chairman

I only got 1 vote, and that was from myself! Darn it....

Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2010, 08:19:39 pm »
Ignore

Vote is over
Hantheguitarman is the Convention chairman

I only got 1 vote, and that was from myself! Darn it....
Same here, though I can't say I actually expected to win.

Goodbye
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2010, 09:06:38 pm »
Ignore

First off, I can't say enough how honored I am to chair this convention. I not only feel humbled, but I feel responsible, and I will put my best work into running this convention.

So let's get this party started. I believe we congregated here to edit our bylaws?
Dallasfan65
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: -9.91

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2010, 09:09:54 pm »
Ignore

First off, I can't say enough how honored I am to chair this convention. I not only feel humbled, but I feel responsible, and I will put my best work into running this convention.

So let's get this party started. I believe we congregated here to edit our bylaws?

Yes - someone should bring a proposal to the table, or better yet, several proposals, so we could discuss their merits.

I'll work on something tonight.

Dallasfan65
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2010, 05:29:31 pm »
Ignore

Okay, here's a proposal - it's the Chairman's discretion what he'll do with this.

Fusion Voting
1. If any candidate receives a supermajority of preferences in any given slot, the Chairman has the discretion to contact the SoFE and have said candidate listed as cross-endorsed.

Also, for prohibiting candidates from being on the ballot line...

Not Our Candidate!
1. If a Popularis does not receive a majority of preferences, the Chairman must inform the SoFE that the given Popularis will not appear on the ballot line.

hantheguitarman
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2010, 06:40:53 pm »
Ignore

Okay, here's a proposal - it's the Chairman's discretion what he'll do with this.

Fusion Voting
1. If any candidate receives a supermajority of preferences in any given slot, the Chairman has the discretion to contact the SoFE and have said candidate listed as cross-endorsed.

Not Our Candidate!
1. If a Popularis does not receive a majority of preferences, the Chairman must inform the SoFE that the given Popularis will not appear on the ballot line.

I like the intent of both acts. For Not Our Candidate! are you saying that their affiliations with the Populares party will not appear on the ballot (The (POP) thing after their name in the ballot), or are you saying we're taking them completely off the ballot? I don't think we have the power to do the latter and I don't we should do the latter anyway.

Does anybody else have any revisions or suggestions for either of the two laws? If not, I think we should hold a vote on them tomorrow.
Dallasfan65
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2010, 06:44:11 pm »
Ignore

Fusion Voting

Not Our Candidate!

I like the intent of both acts. For Not Our Candidate! are you saying that their affiliations with the Populares party will not appear on the ballot (The (POP) thing after their name in the ballot), or are you saying we're taking them completely off the ballot? I don't think we have the power to do the latter and I don't we should do the latter anyway.

Does anybody else have any revisions or suggestions for either of the two laws? If not, I think we should hold a vote on them tomorrow.

Basically, they would appear as "Independent", or whatever party did decide to endorse them, if any.

Senator Libertas
Libertas
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.48, S: -9.22

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2010, 07:42:22 pm »
Ignore

Fusion Voting

Not Our Candidate!

Seems to work, but will this be based on a separate vote on whether we choose to endorse non-POP candidates, or just our regular endorsement votes? Will we allow party members to nominate non-POP candidates and then vote on whether they will receive our endorsement? We should make that clear.

Also, I think all party officers should be able to contact the SoFE with regard to ballot access. There are deadlines and tense negotiations always can run late. In the past we've had chairmen who were inactive in Atlasia and the whip's office has certainly been intricately involved in the party's interpartisan negotations since the party's founding, even going back to the ARC era. Party officers include the chairman, vice chairman and whip. It could potentially cripple our diplomacy efforts otherwise.

Perhaps we might also allow the conventions themselves to elect for a time someone who would be the official representative of the convention to report on endorsements and ballot access to the SoFE.

Here are my tentatively proposed amendments:

Fusion Voting
1. If any candidate receives a supermajority of preferences in any given slot, a party officer or a chosen representative of the convention has the discretion to contact the SoFE and have said candidate listed as cross-endorsed.

Not Our Candidate!
1. If a Popularis does not receive a majority of preferences, a party officer or a chosen representative of the convention must inform the SoFE that the given Popularis will not appear on the ballot line.

Though we'd still need to address the first issue I mentioned.

Also, since we now control our ballot line, should we do like other parties do and automatically endorse our own party's candidates ahead of others before the convention votes?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:44:50 pm by Senator Libertas »Logged
Senator Libertas
Libertas
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2010, 07:53:13 pm »
Ignore

Alright, here's some amendments that would address the other issues. What do you think?

Fusion Voting
1. Any registered member of the Populares may nominate at a time designated by the convention chair candidates who are not members of the Populares for endorsement. If any candidate receives a majority of the votes cast, a party officer or a chosen representative of the convention has the discretion to contact the SoFE and have said candidate listed as cross-endorsed.

Not Our Candidate!
1. If more than 2/3 of the Populares vote against endorsing a candidate of any party, including a registered Popularis, a party officer or a chosen representative of the convention may inform the SoFE that the given Popularis will not appear on the party's ballot line. Populares who will be allowed to appear on the ballot shall receive automatic endorsements ahead of all non-Populares when the convention votes on endorsements.

I think we should allow a little bit of wiggle room in case, as a big tent party, one wing of the party nominates a candidate and the other wing wants to kick him off the ballot. Raising the threshold to 2/3 to lose ballot access reduces the risk of having the party torn apart over something like that.
Princess Kenny
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2010, 07:57:08 pm »
Ignore

Are you "Populares" or "Popularis"?

Senator Libertas
Libertas
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2010, 07:59:01 pm »
Ignore

This is the Populares convention. What do you want?
Princess Kenny
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2010, 08:01:17 pm »
Ignore

I was asking politely which form is then official or  both are acceatable, rude little man.

Not Our Candidate!
1. If more than 2/3 of the Populares vote against endorsing a candidate of any party, including a registered Popularis, a party officer or a chosen representative of the convention may inform the SoFE that the given Popularis will not appear on the party's ballot line. Populares who will be allowed to appear on the ballot shall receive automatic endorsements ahead of all non-Populares when the convention votes on endorsements.

Try to ask something politely...

Senator Libertas
Libertas
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2010, 08:03:32 pm »
Ignore

I was asking politely which form is then official or  both are acceatable, rude little man.

Not Our Candidate!

How was I rude? I'm not quite sure what the issue is here. 'Popularis' is singular, 'Populares' is plural. Just like 'Democrat' is singular and 'Democrats' is plural.
Princess Kenny
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2010, 08:05:08 pm »
Ignore

Not Our Candidate!

How was I rude? I'm not quite sure what the issue is here. 'Popularis' is singular, 'Populares' is plural. Just like 'Democrat' is singular and 'Democrats' is plural.

1. My Latin is sucks
2. I was asking nicely and you started with "this is our club, what do you want"-style
3. I'm drunk

Sincerely,
The Illuminati

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2010, 08:06:18 pm »
Ignore

I'm drunk

Just put this before all your posts.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Princess Kenny
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2010, 08:10:38 pm »
Ignore

I'm drunk

Ok, but still I wanted to ask that question, ftr.

Dallasfan65
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2010, 09:07:53 pm »
Ignore

Fusion Voting

Not Our Candidate!

Seems to work, but will this be based on a separate vote on whether we choose to endorse non-POP candidates, or just our regular endorsement votes? Will we allow party members to nominate non-POP candidates and then vote on whether they will receive our endorsement? We should make that clear.

Also, I think all party officers should be able to contact the SoFE with regard to ballot access. There are deadlines and tense negotiations always can run late. In the past we've had chairmen who were inactive in Atlasia and the whip's office has certainly been intricately involved in the party's interpartisan negotations since the party's founding, even going back to the ARC era. Party officers include the chairman, vice chairman and whip. It could potentially cripple our diplomacy efforts otherwise.

Perhaps we might also allow the conventions themselves to elect for a time someone who would be the official representative of the convention to report on endorsements and ballot access to the SoFE.

Here are my tentatively proposed amendments:

Fusion Voting
1. If any candidate receives a supermajority of preferences in any given slot, a party officer or a chosen representative of the convention has the discretion to contact the SoFE and have said candidate listed as cross-endorsed.

Not Our Candidate!
1. If a Popularis does not receive a majority of preferences, a party officer or a chosen representative of the convention must inform the SoFE that the given Popularis will not appear on the ballot line.

Though we'd still need to address the first issue I mentioned.

Also, since we now control our ballot line, should we do like other parties do and automatically endorse our own party's candidates ahead of others before the convention votes?

I imagine we'd just use our existing endorsement process (as we had so far) but with the option for our leadership to place people on our ballot (given that they get a majority/supermajority.)

Also, I accept your modifications to my own amendments, unless someone else in the party has a gripe against it - upon latter reflection, I think anybody in the Leadership should have the authority to notify the SoFE.

I'd support that, as long as there was a mechanism for our members to "anti-endorse" like it says in "Not Our Candidate!"

I'm drunk

I've posted while imbibed quite often and it's only gotten me in trouble once or twice.

Dallasfan65
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2010, 09:04:29 pm »
Ignore

hantheguitarman
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2010, 12:18:46 am »
Ignore

Ooh, sorry. I haven't been on a computer for the last couple of hours.

Anyway, voting will begin at 10:30 AM, and will continue for the next 72 hours. Please make it clear which bylaws you are voting for. Oh, BTW, these acts are the acts with Libertas' amendments. Please either vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Official Ballot of the Populares Convention
Fusion Voting []
Not Our Candidate []
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:48:02 am by Speaker of the Northeast Assembly Han »Logged
hantheguitarman
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2010, 11:47:09 am »
Ignore

Fusion Voting [Aye]
Not Our Candidate [Aye]
Jbrase
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix