I have a new job!!! (Yes, Attention Whoring)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:37:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I have a new job!!! (Yes, Attention Whoring)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Author Topic: I have a new job!!! (Yes, Attention Whoring)  (Read 49382 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2010, 08:19:07 PM »

I've got a couple jobs I'm going to call on Monday and try to get something set up.  One is a tech support for Cox Communications and one is a sales-rep for Sprint.  The tech support job would be a minor pay cut ($1000/yr), but it would still be fairly easy to transfer to the Cable Company in Phoenix.  I could also transfer from Sprint store to Sprint store.

I think if you called your manager at the gas company and just explained the situation to them, they might understand and offer you the previous job back - I can't imagine they're filled your position yet, and if you explain your reasons for wanting to go for a higher-paying job (particularly with regard to the upcoming marriage and related financial pressures) I don't think anyone would blame you for what you did.

That's a good idea, and plus they haven't even de-activated my account, yet, as I can still get into my e-mail, so it would be a lot simpler for them to let me back in.  It would be embarrassing, but not near as bad as if I were to fall flat on my face with a wedding, a mortgage, a student loan, and a credit card payment.  All they would have to do is just give me my badge and garage transponder back and since I already know how to do the work, they wouldn't have to train anybody for my job.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2010, 08:21:07 PM »

It's alright guys.  Yes, I made a mistake by leaving ONG, but I am trying to cut everything there as I have told the scammers no deal.  So, Monday morning, I am going to call on these jobs and hopefully, Lord willing, be able to find something relatively quickly.  Remember, the recession didn't hit Oklahoma as hard as other parts of the country, so that's a plus.  I'm also going to call ONG back on Monday morning and see if I can go back to work for them at the same job and same pay.

Note:  None of this conversation makes it to facebook.  I'm trying to save face there.

Best of Luck, Jeff.  If you can't get it back, you can move on and find something else.  You weren't that happy there so maybe a new job will come up that will be even better.  Stay positive and don't let a misstep hold you back.
CubOB
ChrisOB

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -7.13

« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2010, 08:21:29 PM »

How long have you worked there? If there's a particular manager or other employee with a bit of clout that you've built up a good rapport with over the years, then I'd start by talking to them Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2010, 08:23:43 PM »

You need to put patrick and boris in your will.

memphis, if we didn't care we wouldn't be harrassing him to stop seeing through rose colored glasses.

Hell I've made more stupid mistakes than I can count and if I added up all the money I lost because of it I'd blow my brains out.

We're just trying to help but he doesn't make it easy.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2010, 08:27:40 PM »

It's alright guys.  Yes, I made a mistake by leaving ONG, but I am trying to cut everything there as I have told the scammers no deal.  So, Monday morning, I am going to call on these jobs and hopefully, Lord willing, be able to find something relatively quickly.  Remember, the recession didn't hit Oklahoma as hard as other parts of the country, so that's a plus.  I'm also going to call ONG back on Monday morning and see if I can go back to work for them at the same job and same pay.

Note:  None of this conversation makes it to facebook.  I'm trying to save face there.

Best of Luck, Jeff.  If you can't get it back, you can move on and find something else.  You weren't that happy there so maybe a new job will come up that will be even better.  Stay positive and don't let a misstep hold you back.

I know I need to be positive, and I'm trying.  I just don't want to end up going into September with still no job and no means of income.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2010, 08:34:50 PM »

It's alright guys.  Yes, I made a mistake by leaving ONG, but I am trying to cut everything there as I have told the scammers no deal.  So, Monday morning, I am going to call on these jobs and hopefully, Lord willing, be able to find something relatively quickly.  Remember, the recession didn't hit Oklahoma as hard as other parts of the country, so that's a plus.  I'm also going to call ONG back on Monday morning and see if I can go back to work for them at the same job and same pay.

Note:  None of this conversation makes it to facebook.  I'm trying to save face there.

Best of Luck, Jeff.  If you can't get it back, you can move on and find something else.  You weren't that happy there so maybe a new job will come up that will be even better.  Stay positive and don't let a misstep hold you back.

I know I need to be positive, and I'm trying.  I just don't want to end up going into September with still no job and no means of income.

This is why you need a temporary job. Swallow yur pride, and don't worry if it's not your dream job. It's just to get you enough time to find a "real" job. Your savings will go faster than you anticipate. I've been in a similar place. I learned that delivering pizzas is actually a lot of fun Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2010, 08:41:34 PM »

http://www.petitiononline.com/h2o/petition.html
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2010, 08:51:07 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2010, 08:59:20 PM by memphis »

That damn crap ruined my old car.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2010, 09:08:29 PM »

No, no, no.  If you are a poor, and you have a job at the Electric Company, you stay there, and say 'yes sir' and 'no sir, and just batten down the hatches and wait.  It will all be over soon enough.  No need to rush it by getting conned up the a**s by some Kiwi b******s and ending up living under a bridge.

Seriously, I know poors who work at the Power Company (true they're from the previous unionized generations so they made $70,000/year, but still), and they survived.  Every one of them - and they will get to die in hospitals with medical treatments.  Yes, Public Utilities are not government jobs, but they're the next best thing.

Well unsurprisingly opebo was right on.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2010, 09:12:30 PM »

I just talked to one of my co-workers privately on facebook and she said it's worth a shot to call my manager back and see if i can get my job back.  What's the worst he can say?  No?  Especially when i told her that I was trying to make things better for my future wife and I and ended up nearly involved in a big scam.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2010, 09:15:15 PM »

Remember, the recession didn't hit Oklahoma as hard as other parts of the country, so that's a plus.

Yes, the red states didn't get hit as hard, partially because we are subsidizing them. California is really hurting. But in any case, I would imagine that finding a new job probably isn't that easy there either.  If you can't get your current job back and you're going to run out of cash by September, you might be lucky to get a job at McDonalds.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2010, 09:36:52 PM »

I will call first thing Monday. I've been given a sign not to worry tonight - my computer quit

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2010, 10:23:24 PM »

Moral of the story: Listen to opebo.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2010, 10:41:10 PM »

I just now applied to a local car dealership that offers $31K base pay and a 5-day work week plus benefits.  I meet the qualifications listed on the advertisement, so we'll see where it leads.  The thing I'm after is base pay.  I do not want any commission only jobs, which is why I won't do normal car dealerships.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2010, 10:53:15 PM »

Oh lord ... Jeff, why wouldn't you listen to any of us? Gramps is right -- you need to be kissing Patrick and Boris' feet for stopping you from going any further.

As much as you hate to take other peoples' advice, here's a bit:

- Slow down. Your rush-rush-rush mentality made you quit ONG way too early (a month sooner than you originally predicted just a few days ago!). Now you're banging out applications to a slew of other jobs. Stop. You probably have your ONG supervisor's contact information -- call him / her this weekend and have an honest conversation, and if you can't reach your boss ASAP, call on Monday. If you were a solid employee, there's a good chance they'll let you back in.

- Share your job desires and ONG job description with this forum. There are -- apparently -- a lot of smart people here. There are connected people, too. If you want to make more than $31k a year, let us know what you were doing and ... who knows? One of us may be able to help you find something better.

- Don't do the Sprint sales rep job. It's low-paying, the quotas are stressful and the commission isn't worth it.

- "Faith" is not an excuse for stupidity. God gave you a brain for a reason. Ears, too. Start using them.

And best wishes. We are here for you.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2010, 10:57:29 PM »

There's no excuse for continuing after Boris posted that link.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2010, 12:54:11 AM »

Oh lord ... Jeff, why wouldn't you listen to any of us? Gramps is right -- you need to be kissing Patrick and Boris' feet for stopping you from going any further.

- Slow down. Your rush-rush-rush mentality made you quit ONG way too early (a month sooner than you originally predicted just a few days ago!). Now you're banging out applications to a slew of other jobs. Stop. You probably have your ONG supervisor's contact information -- call him / her this weekend and have an honest conversation, and if you can't reach your boss ASAP, call on Monday. If you were a solid employee, there's a good chance they'll let you back in.

- Share your job desires and ONG job description with this forum. There are -- apparently -- a lot of smart people here. There are connected people, too. If you want to make more than $31k a year, let us know what you were doing and ... who knows? One of us may be able to help you find something better.

- Don't do the Sprint sales rep job. It's low-paying, the quotas are stressful and the commission isn't worth it.

- "Faith" is not an excuse for stupidity. God gave you a brain for a reason. Ears, too. Start using them.

That's what I will do.  I will call my supervisor first thing Monday morning and see if I can get my old job back.  I was one of their best employees, so I don't think it would be much trouble.  I'll just try to go in and act like nothing ever happened.  Plus, we are very near August 1, which means I am just under 8 1/2 months left until a wedding.  It's way too late in the game to be gambling with our futures.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2010, 12:55:27 AM »

The lesson is that in general you take things way too fast. It's in your best interests to slow things down.

Best of luck, though. A job change will probably be good for you.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2010, 12:56:41 AM »

Getting in the next workday after you quit shouldn't be that hard as it's not likely you were even dropped from payroll yet. Probably will have to fill out your W-2s and all again though. But it'd make more sense to take you back as you can fill your old position instantly and not have to worry about being trained in.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2010, 12:57:16 AM »

That's what I will do.  I will call my supervisor first thing Monday morning and see if I can get my old job back.  I was one of their best employees, so I don't think it would be much trouble.  I'll just try to go in and act like nothing ever happened.  Plus, we are very near August 1, which means I am just under 8 1/2 months left until a wedding.  It's way too late in the game to be gambling with our futures.

I was trying to tell you that earlier.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2010, 02:24:22 AM »

Good man, although if you can, try to call your supervisor this weekend. It's possible that ONG has some HR rules in place that would prevent a sympathetic rehire, but most individuals have a hard time separating their core identities from their role at a job ... in other words, your supervisor will likely be sympathetic to the truth and do all he can to help you out, if corporate rules allow him that flexibility.

Having that conversation before Monday morning means that your supervisor can get a potential rehire in motion immediately at the start of the week. If you wait till Monday morning to call, you risk catching your supervisor off-guard or missing each other completely, wasting valuable time.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2010, 06:22:31 AM »

How is that the moral of the story? I'd say it is rather "listen to anyone who posted in this thread".

I don't think anyone posted anything other than warnings.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2010, 06:24:00 AM »

How is that the moral of the story? I'd say it is rather "listen to anyone who posted in this thread".

True but I was the most vociferous and extreme, because I am the most pessimistic person on the forum.  The moral is:  he who is most pessimistic is oracle.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2010, 06:32:55 AM »

True but I was the most vociferous and extreme, because I am the most pessimistic person on the forum.  The moral is:  he who is most pessimistic is oracle.

You just wanted another opportunity to engage in your usual ravings on how horrible it is to be poor, living in America today and how good it is to have a public sector job. You took a pretty limited interest in the actual case, unlike the people who actually put in research or valid points on the specifics of this situation.

It doesn't really matter much either way, but calling yourself an oracle for predicting what everyone else predicted seems a little over the top to me.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2010, 06:41:03 AM »

You just wanted another opportunity to engage in your usual ravings on how horrible it is to be poor, living in America today and how good it is to have a public sector job.

Yes of course!  And all of those things are absolutely true, Gustaf.

You took a pretty limited interest in the actual case, unlike the people who actually put in research or valid points on the specifics of this situation.

Only an imbecile would need to research this to know it was what it was, Gustaf.   (not dissimilar from the economics thread).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies