Rand Paul defends Obama on Afghanistan (?)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:48:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rand Paul defends Obama on Afghanistan (?)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rand Paul defends Obama on Afghanistan (?)  (Read 1835 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2010, 02:42:59 AM »

Hmm, it doesn't seem like we have much of an anti-war Republican here after all.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/18/rand-paul-obama-afghanistan_n_650244.html
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 02:51:51 AM »

Rand is a Moderate Hero who wants to get elected. Not much more explanation to this.
rob in cal
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 10:10:48 AM »

IIRC Rand Paul has generally been supportive of the Afghan war effort in the past, but not the Iraq war.  Being anti-war in Iraq still makes him unusual for a GOP candidate, especially when he's running in the upper South.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:35:52 AM »

I think Obama gave his hand away to the GOP, this was the one thing that he could had made a good mark in his presidency, he needed to wind down both wars and he didn't, now if the presidency ends in 2012, he didn't really change much.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 10:11:07 AM »

I think Obama gave his hand away to the GOP, this was the one thing that he could had made a good mark in his presidency, he needed to wind down both wars and he didn't, now if the presidency ends in 2012, he didn't really change much.

It's not like he, ya know, campaigned on fighting harder in Afghanistan Roll Eyes
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 10:12:37 AM »

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 02:40:20 PM »

Rand Paul's reasonable about Afghanistan?  I'm stunned.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 02:47:38 PM »

Rand Paul's reasonable about Afghanistan?  I'm stunned.

Right, pro-war = "reasonable". Anti-war = "extremist".
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »

Rand is a Moderate Hero who wants to get elected. Not much more explanation to this.

Do you still like him?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 03:44:10 PM »

Irrelevant.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 03:54:09 PM »

Moderate Hero? Moderate Hero? Rand Paul? REALLY?

He's looking more and more to be just another neocon to me. There is nothing 'moderate' about neocons.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 04:05:45 PM »

He's looking more and more to be just another neocon to me. There is nothing 'moderate' about neocons.

No, no, no, the establishment centre is loaded with neocons. "Moderate" Republicans and "Moderate" Democrats agree, being pro-war and pro-authoritarianism is the moderate position.

Rand Paul is definitely a moderate.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 04:08:27 PM »

Do you still like him?

If I lived in Kentucky, I would not vote for Rand unless he abandoned his Moderate Heroism, though I certainly would not support extreme neocon authoritarian Jack Conway. It's moderate authoritarian vs. extreme authoritarian.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 04:15:04 PM »

Actually he may have a point.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 04:15:42 PM »

No, no, no, the establishment centre is loaded with neocons. "Moderate" Republicans and "Moderate" Democrats agree, being pro-war and pro-authoritarianism is the moderate position.

If so, that's a stupid technicality that they invented. If they were moderate by a literal definition, they would be nowhere near this warmongering.

To me, Rand Paul is the furthest thing from a moderate, putting it in literal terms.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 04:18:28 PM »

If so, that's a stupid technicality that they invented. If they were moderate by a literal definition, they would be nowhere near this warmongering.

To me, Rand Paul is the furthest thing from a moderate, putting it in literal terms.

Except Rand Paul 'literally' is a moderate. Nearly all of his positions on the issues are wishy-washy Moderate Hero positions.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 04:34:13 PM »

Except Rand Paul 'literally' is a moderate. Nearly all of his positions on the issues are wishy-washy Moderate Hero positions.

Then why the hell did you ever support him? Was it really just because of the Paul name? Huh
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 04:35:47 PM »

Then why the hell did you ever support him? Was it really just because of the Paul name? Huh

Um, Rand became a Moderate Hero during this election campaign. Before that he was not a public figure.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 04:42:07 PM »

Um, Rand became a Moderate Hero during this election campaign. Before that he was not a public figure.

These are his beliefs, and he's never denied it. He's always been against shutting down Guantanamo, and he's always been for a 'strong national defense.' He's a neocon, through and through, completely contradictory to his father. I ask again: why the hell did you, and every other 'libertarian' on this site, support him?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 04:46:39 PM »

These are his beliefs, and he's never denied it. He's always been against shutting down Guantanamo, and he's always been for a 'strong national defense.' He's a neocon, through and through, completely contradictory to his father. I ask again: why the hell did you, and every other 'libertarian' on this site, support him?

Um, no, he became a Moderate Hero as the primary campaign went along. He flip-flopped on Gitmo and a whole host of other issues he was once 'radical' on, as could have been found on Trey Grayson's now-defunct "tookookyforkentucky" website.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 05:37:53 PM »

What the hell were they supposed to do? Support Conway?
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 05:43:47 PM »

Support no one.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 05:44:27 PM »

They could just abstain. They do it plenty of times when both candidates suck a big testicle soufflé.

(P.S. The 'libertarians' in quotations referred only to fake libertarians like Libertas.)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 05:45:26 PM »

I can't bitch and Rand Paul for something I've done.......support Obama on Afghanistan.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 05:47:17 PM »

They could just abstain. They do it plenty of times when both candidates suck a big testicle soufflé.

(P.S. The 'libertarians' in quotations referred only to fake libertarians like Libertas.)

Arr right.
For the record I had pretty minimal support for Rand Paul.  At first I was hoping he just supported keeping GITMO open to win the primary, but after he started drifting a little further authoritarian I was like "gee no thanks".
You got to understand that many libertarians, when someone touting the label is running for office, become optimistic enough to give them a chance for a few rounds.  After those few rounds they usually go "nah, not worth it."
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies