We Don’t Want Our Gay Marriage Victory!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:55:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  We Don’t Want Our Gay Marriage Victory!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: We Don’t Want Our Gay Marriage Victory!  (Read 1831 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 21, 2010, 03:23:12 AM »
« edited: July 21, 2010, 02:59:05 PM by Senator Libertas »

Gay-marriage win; progressive agenda loss?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh no, ObamaCare might be in danger if courts start enforcing the Constitution. Was it worth it to get same-sex marriage?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 03:26:09 AM »

Contrary to popular belief, the Tenth Amendment is still part of the Constitution.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 03:29:30 AM »

Contrary to popular belief, the Tenth Amendment is still part of the Constitution.

This is an interesting conundrum though. Will 'conservatives' support the 10th amendment in favor of gay marriage? Will 'liberals' throw gays under the bus in order to protect ObamaCare and other unconstitutional programs?

Stay tuned...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:39:11 AM »

Why do you not see these as distinct issues.

But then again distinct issues don't compute with you.  https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=120522.0
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 07:50:18 AM »

To respond to this seriously:

1) The ruling didn't "get us same-sex marriage," it got us federal recognition of marriages in accordance with state law. And it didn't really get us that, either, because this ruling is not favored to hold up all the way up the hierarchy of the courts and is probably stayed for the time being (or else I would have been directly affected by it.)

2) Lots of marriage equality advocates are not fans of the judge's ruling here. Not because it is going to set a precedent for overturning Obama's health care plan, but because it is considered a weak basis for changing the law and won't stand up, much like the Tenth Amendment objections to Obama's plan.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 08:10:20 AM »

The federal government seems to disagree. As well as the 9th...
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 08:41:25 AM »

Will 'conservatives' support the 10th amendment in favor of gay marriage?

No.

Some.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 01:27:42 PM »

The federal government seems to disagree. As well as the 9th...

The Ninth Amendment in no way nullifies the Tenth Amendment.  And of course the federal government disagrees.  The Tenth Amendment is a burden to their power.

Seriously though, it is still part of the Constitution.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 02:38:16 PM »

No.

A number of conservatives have been saying DOMA is unconstitutional for years precisely because of the 10th Amendment.

Problem is, they think the way around that is a federal marriage amendment.`
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 03:28:47 PM »

Well, here's to hoping the corporate sellout known as ObamaCare gets chucked out and gay marriage is allowed.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 03:45:08 PM »

So, is this going to help the gay marrige cause or what?

It's leagal in 5 states, right?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 05:10:22 PM »

No.

Some.

I would think that would be the answer to both questions. Surely you don't think all conservatives are willing to throw away the 10th amendment and states' rights just to keep gays from marrying?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 06:40:36 PM »

No.

Some.

I would think that would be the answer to both questions. Surely you don't think all conservatives are willing to throw away the 10th amendment and states' rights just to keep gays from marrying?

I think more liberals would be willing to throw gay marriage under the bus.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 10:54:06 PM »

No.

Some.

I think more liberals would be willing to throw gay marriage under the bus.

What's your opinion on this situation? Would you rather keep DOMA and ObamaCare, or dump them both, if those were the only two choices?
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 01:43:17 AM »

I actually disagree with the people who think the Coakley's challenge here is not strong. The issue is not whether or not congress can define marriage. If congress so chooses it can issue marriage licenses itself, or have the federal government issue them. In that case the federal government can set whatever terms it wants.

But the Federal government has chosen to explicitly not issue licenses and instead outsource that to the states, and simply honor the licensees individual state's issue. Now a state has chosen in accordance with its laws to issue licenses to same-sex couples. I think legally the federal government has a choice. It can chose to argue that possession of a Massachusetts marriage license is on its own insufficient to gain federal benefits, or it can chose to honor all of them. What it can not do is create artificial distinctions between legally indistinct groups. Legally there is no difference in the position of an opposite sex couple with a MA marriage certificate and a same-sex couple with the same, because the basis on which benefits are given is not whether they are married, because no such concept exists in federal law, but because they possess that document. And Congress cannot use artificial categories to discriminate against individuals whose legal status is impossible to differentiate from people who are getting the benefits.

That said, Truro's wider tenth amendment arguments are bunk in my view.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 03:53:23 AM »

I've been saying this whole time that the gay rights movement isn't being run by gays at all. I worked with literally a dozen gays last year and their view was that they've worked hard for a few decades to have a culture of their own and now democrats want to pervert their hard work by exploiting in to gain political votes for gay sympathizers who are actually straight. Gays don't want to us interfering with them.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 04:30:07 AM »

I've been saying this whole time that the gay rights movement isn't being run by gays at all. I worked with literally a dozen gays last year and their view was that they've worked hard for a few decades to have a culture of their own and now democrats want to pervert their hard work by exploiting in to gain political votes for gay sympathizers who are actually straight. Gays don't want to us interfering with them.

Obama and most Democrats are opposed to gay marriage.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 04:34:06 AM »

Don't lie, you don't know any gays.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 09:06:58 AM »

now democrats want to pervert their hard work by exploiting in to gain political votes for gay sympathizers who are actually straight. Gays don't want to us interfering with them.

I can not conceive of a gay person holding this position, and I know a few more than a dozen. Gay Republicanism, I get. Gays who don't care about gay rights as opposed to other issues, I also get. Cynicism and mistrust of the Democrats, boy, do I get. This makes no sense, though.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »

Obviously you're so well versed to tell gay people what they do or do not want.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 04:02:52 PM »

Derek met his local GOProud chapter.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 04:10:09 PM »

Come on, get your talking points together people! I thought the gay rights movement was run by Tim Gill, that gay billionaire from Colorado. Anyone with half a brain cell would know that! Maybe it's why you don't know it, Vanderblah. Forgiven!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 12:50:08 PM »

Derek is right.  Most of the people who run the gay rights movement aren't actually gay (or LGBT to the elite), just social engineers who want to transform the fabric of human society.  But they all fall under the umbrella category of freaks.

Yeah just like most of the people who run the homophobe movement aren't actually straight.....
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 02:46:44 PM »

Derek is right.  Most of the people who run the gay rights movement aren't actually gay (or LGBT to the elite), just social engineers who want to transform the fabric of human society.  But they all fall under the umbrella category of freaks.

Yeah just like most of the people who run the homophobe movement aren't actually straight.....

Zing!
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 03:15:12 PM »

Zing!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies