Iraq: If Bush Lied, So Did Gore, Clinton, and Everyone Else
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:01:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Iraq: If Bush Lied, So Did Gore, Clinton, and Everyone Else
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Iraq: If Bush Lied, So Did Gore, Clinton, and Everyone Else  (Read 1611 times)
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2010, 11:35:36 PM »
« edited: July 23, 2010, 11:37:51 PM by Mitt Romney's Hair »

This is perhaps in the wrong section, but since the Iraq War is still going on, it could be considered current?

Anyway, Al Gore is on record in 1998 as saying that Saddam possessed WMD (I'm sure I thought he said that even earlier, but currently can't find it). Bill Clinton agreed and addressed the nation on the issue as he sent cruise missiles into Iraq.

George W. Bush, the next President, thought the same thing. And so did the majority of the members of Congress and most of the international community.

But here's the thing: Bush actually acted. Bush, on the threat that he perceived we possessed - which was no greater or lesser than what Clinton/Gore thought - actually acted. He didn't send a few cruise missiles in and hope for the best, he sent an army in.

Likewise, Clinton had beyond several times to clearly kill Bin Laden in the 90s, but he failed to do so because he didn't want to risk collateral damage. I admit, it's a calculation one has to make, but this is after OBL bombed the WTC in 93 and declared war on the US!

Bush was a better a president on this issue because he wasn't scared to act. With the information he was provided with, he did his best. To say Bush lied is the biggest fallacy of his presidency. Clinton is the liar - and proven to be so - but cheap shot aside, how can you possibly say Bush misled us and/or lied when the previous administration thought the same thing?

I took a foreign policy course (many actually), but this specific one the professor had 2 good quotes that I agree with:

1. "The United States has been obsessed with Iraq for decades, starting with George H. W. Bush. 9/11 proved the rationale for George W. Bush to do something, but it's an issue that has plagued every administration since the 1980s, and one that will continue to do so as we enter Obama's presidency"

and, the most accurate one that I wholeheartedly agree with -

2. "Clinton understood the problems of Al Qaeda and their threats but wasn't able to deal with them because of the Lewinsky scandal.....Bush and his administration were able to deal with the threat but they didn't fully understand it, and that's the shame of the last 2 administrations."

[With that said, Clinton's so much more to blame for 9/11 than Bush.....9/11 took 8 years to plan, Bush was in office for 8 months. You think a vague memo of "BIN LADEN DETERMINED TO STRIKE" 1 month prior is something that can be acted on? Yet you think Clinton could focus on the threat and have his penis blown and deal with the ensuing scandal at the same time? Ridiculous. Clinton is the most over rated president since JFK.]

If Bush lied about Iraq, so did everyone else. Liberals are unbelievable these days.

In any case, if you were a president and you just came off of 9/11 and all the evidence pointed to Iraq having WMD and loose ties with OBL (which is correct, there were ties, even though they were VERY loose), what would you do? Wait for Saddam to attack us before we did anything, or go after him? The Bush doctrine makes so much sense.

You can't have it both ways.

At least Bush had the balls to act. Can't say that for the current or past democratic administrations, maybe if Clinton's wasn't in Monica's mouth he would have acted too.....
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 11:43:17 PM »

Yes, Bush lied, Gore lied, Clinton lied, and now Obama lies. They're all part of the same murderous criminal cabal.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:48:31 PM »

Yes, Bush lied, Gore lied, Clinton lied, and now Obama lies. They're all part of the same murderous criminal cabal.

Well next time you think the Tea Party protesters are idiotic, just think back to the anti-war protesters under Bush.

Again, Liberals love to have it both ways. It's alright to call Bush a terrorist, but once someone calls Obama Hitler or draws a Joker face of Obama the liberals throw a tantrum.

Liberals are the party of double standards, don't believe me? Look at the evidence.....
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 11:49:42 PM »

Well next time you think the Tea Party protesters are idiotic, just think back to the anti-war protesters under Bush.

Again, Liberals love to have it both ways. It's alright to call Bush a terrorist, but once someone calls Obama Hitler or draws a Joker face of Obama the liberals throw a tantrum.

Liberals are the party of double standards, don't believe me? Look at the evidence.....

Many people who protested Bush, such as Cindy Sheehan, are still out there protesting Obama.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 11:52:02 PM »

Many people who protested Bush, such as Cindy Sheehan, are still out there protesting Obama.

Cindy Sheehan is the perfect example. I hate that woman.

She says that that the United States isn't worth dying for. Which is her opinion, fine. But her anger comes because her son died in Iraq. Well, her son VOLUNTEERED to join the army, so clearly HER SON thought the US WAS WORTH DYING for because when you volunteer you realize you can go to war at any time over anything with anyone.

Once again, she's proven Liberals love to have it both ways.

It's really unbelievable.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 11:57:48 PM »

She says that that the United States isn't worth dying for. Which is her opinion, fine. But her anger comes because her son died in Iraq. Well, her son VOLUNTEERED to join the army, so clearly HER SON thought the US WAS WORTH DYING for because when you volunteer you realize you can go to war at any time over anything with anyone.

Her son didn't volunteer to die for Dick Cheney and 'Israel' in an illegal immoral war of aggression.

Cindy Sheehan has every right to protest against this criminal regime under Bush-Obama.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 12:10:25 AM »

Her son didn't volunteer to die for Dick Cheney and 'Israel' in an illegal immoral war of aggression.

Cindy Sheehan has every right to protest against this criminal regime under Bush-Obama.

Well, yes he did. Stop denying the truth.

If I sign up today for the military, and Obama decides to go to war for a reason I disagree with, well too bad. I signed up on my own, understanding that I may go to war and/or die for any reason at any time.

If I thought "hmmm I'm not really sure I trust the government with my life over what they decide to go to war over" I wouldn't, and consequently haven't, volunteered to join.

He, as a responsible adult, made the decision that if the government told him to fight it would be worth it, regardless of whether he agreed with the reasons or not. Get off your high horse.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »

If I sign up today for the military, and Obama decides to go to war for a reason I disagree with, well too bad. I signed up on my own, understanding that I may go to war and/or die for any reason at any time.

If I thought "hmmm I'm not really sure I trust the government with my life over what they decide to go to war over" I wouldn't, and consequently haven't, volunteered to join.

He, as a responsible adult, made the decision that if the government told him to fight it would be worth it, regardless of whether he agreed with the reasons or not. Get off your high horse.

No, Sheehan did not enlist to fight an illegal war that was ultimately based completely upon lies from the Bush regime.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 12:31:34 AM »

No, Sheehan did not enlist to fight an illegal war that was ultimately based completely upon lies from the Bush regime.

You've fallen into yet another trap. Please tell me how this war was illegal. And if you don't really want to see me blow up, you better not mention that it was illegal because Congress didn't declare war.....
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 12:35:32 AM »

You've fallen into yet another trap. Please tell me how this war was illegal. And if you don't really want to see me blow up, you better not mention that it was illegal because Congress didn't declare war.....

It was illegal because Congress didn't declare war.

Did you blow up yet?
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 12:43:41 AM »

It was illegal because Congress didn't declare war.

Did you blow up yet?

I have a few questions for you:

1a. How many times in the United States' history has Congress declared war?
1b. How many wars have there been in the United States' history?

2a. When was the last time Congress declared war?
2b. How many wars have there been since their last declaration?

Answers: Wow, that's a ton of illegal wars. It's amazing what research can do, isn't it.

Go look up the Gulf of Tonkin incident while you're at it.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 12:43:55 AM »

Well, well, well...the titans of Atlas are certainly duking it out in this thread.

Anyway, the retaliation Clinton did on Iraq in 1998 after they kicked the inspectors out was exactly the sort of proportional, measured response we should've been taking against Iraq the whole time.  For that matter, Bush's 2002 brinksmanship led to the restoration of the UN weapons inspection team.  Had Bush stopped there, after getting what he wanted, I'd have applauded that too.  That wasn't the case.

One of my all-time favorite quotes is Talleyrand saying "It was worse than a crime, it was a mistake."  That's what I've always felt about Iraq.  Regardless of the shady grounds in which we got into the war, regardless of the sheer immorality of getting us into a war for no solid reason against a country that posed absolutely no threat to the US even if it had the chemical weapons Bush claimed, the war in Iraq was still a horrible decision because it tied down America and forced us into a responsibility for a huge, important, territory half-way around the world, a responsibility we can't easily shirk.  Believe me, if we could leave, I'd support getting out tomorrow, but we can't.  The war in Iraq distracted us from the real war in Afghanistan, which Barack Obama is finally rightfully refocusing our attention on and escalating like we should've done years ago.  We wasted huge amounts of manpower and resources on Iraq that should've been going to Afghanistan.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 12:45:40 AM »

(I haven't read the latest post as I want to add one more point)

Congress also controls the purse. IE, they can cut funding for wars. Have they done that with Iraq? Thankfully not, in my opinion. But the problem you should have, then, should be with the Democratically controlled Congress and not with former President Bush!
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 12:46:54 AM »

Liberals are the party of double standards

The Liberal Party died in 2002.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 12:47:17 AM »

I'm having flashbacks to 6 years ago...
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 12:49:56 AM »

TL;DR

Interestingly enough, we gave Iraq weapons of mass destruction during their war with Iran, and even had a hand in the political upheaval that eventually caused him to rise to power.  This current mess is the cause of our own interventionist foreign policy.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 12:52:09 AM »

Where's Derek when I need him?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 12:59:32 AM »

Well, well, well...the titans of Atlas are certainly duking it out in this thread.

Anyway, the retaliation Clinton did on Iraq in 1998 after they kicked the inspectors out was exactly the sort of proportional, measured response we should've been taking against Iraq the whole time.  For that matter, Bush's 2002 brinksmanship led to the restoration of the UN weapons inspection team.  Had Bush stopped there, after getting what he wanted, I'd have applauded that too.  That wasn't the case.

One of my all-time favorite quotes is Talleyrand saying "It was worse than a crime, it was a mistake."  That's what I've always felt about Iraq.  Regardless of the shady grounds in which we got into the war, regardless of the sheer immorality of getting us into a war for no solid reason against a country that posed absolutely no threat to the US even if it had the chemical weapons Bush claimed, the war in Iraq was still a horrible decision because it tied down America and forced us into a responsibility for a huge, important, territory half-way around the world, a responsibility we can't easily shirk.  Believe me, if we could leave, I'd support getting out tomorrow, but we can't.  The war in Iraq distracted us from the real war in Afghanistan, which Barack Obama is finally rightfully refocusing our attention on and escalating like we should've done years ago.  We wasted huge amounts of manpower and resources on Iraq that should've been going to Afghanistan.

No, both wars were based on lies and have distracted our attention from solving real problems at home.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 01:01:01 AM »

Of course Libertas believes that it was a lie that bin Laden was responsible for 9/11.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 01:04:08 AM »

No, both wars were based on lies and have distracted our attention from solving real problems at home.

How do you possibly have 13,000 posts in just over a year? That's what I want to know.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 01:05:07 AM »

Well if everyone did it, there can't be anything wrong with it. Heck, even I lied about Iraq. And Watergate too. My conscience isn't clear. Don't you know the Sweet Home Alabama line? Tell the truth now. Bush is a great man.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 01:05:30 AM »

I don't know, do you have another computer you can log in with? Then you two could interact.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2010, 01:08:52 AM »

What is with our wave of ultra-right-wing Pennsylvanians lately?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 01:11:10 AM »

What is with our wave of ultra-right-wing Pennsylvanians lately?

A certain poster is apparently staying in PA for the summer. He was in DC before that (remember Tuck?).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 01:11:35 AM »

(I haven't read the latest post as I want to add one more point)

Well, that summarizes your posting style pretty well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies