Which of these is most likely true regarding the spread of Islam in South Asia?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:06:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Which of these is most likely true regarding the spread of Islam in South Asia?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Answer as many as you like
The bulk of Muslims are descendants of migrants from the Iranian plateau or Arabs.

Muslims sought conversion through jihad. Forced conversions

Conversions occurred for non-religious reasons of pragmatism and patronage such as social mobility among the Muslim ruling elite or for relief from taxes.

Conversion was a result of the actions of Sunni Sufi saints and involved a genuine change of heart.

Conversion came from Buddhists and the en masse conversions of lower castes for social liberation and as a rejection of the oppressive Hindu caste strictures.

. A combination, initially made under duress followed by a genuine change of heart.

As a socio-cultural process of diffusion and integration over an extended period of time into the sphere of the dominant Muslim civilization and global polity at large. Like a more peacful version of #1.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of these is most likely true regarding the spread of Islam in South Asia?  (Read 2604 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2010, 07:34:04 PM »

Choose whatever you like.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 07:35:24 PM »

All of the above.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 03:06:51 PM »

Combo of all except option 1. 
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 03:18:36 PM »

2-7 were all true at various times throughout history.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 06:22:26 AM »

Isn't this a "what color is the sky" kind of a poll?  There is a correct, factual answer for this question.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 12:17:10 PM »

Isn't this a "what color is the sky" kind of a poll?  There is a correct, factual answer for this question.

And which one is that?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 04:49:38 AM »

And which one is that?

The sky changes colour from day to night! Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 10:22:47 AM »

3, 4, 6.

I've never heard of an Arabian fleet conquering  the Philippines. 

I basically think that for the last 2,000 years, monotheism has been on the rise. 
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 11:25:22 AM »

It should be noted that before Islam (and to a greatly reduced extent after) there was a soup of related sects (Nestorian Christianity, monophysite Christianity, Manicheanism, Mandaeanism, Zoroastrianism, etc..) which flung themselves across the globe and paved the way for Islam's spread.  To the objective eye of the Chinese Emperor, all of these sects were one ("the Persian religion"), and they were vigorously persecuted there to maintain traditional Chinese homogeneity.  Other peoples without a strongly rooted high Culture obviously found the Persian religion irrestistible.

Incidentally, I recently discovered that I'd been pronouncing Monophysite Christianity incorrectly.

I hate when you see a word a ton in print but have never heard it spoken.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 03:36:31 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2010, 03:42:36 PM by sbane »

3, 4, 6.

I've never heard of an Arabian fleet conquering  the Philippines. 

I basically think that for the last 2,000 years, monotheism has been on the rise. 

I think forced conversions also happened a lot, especially in the western part of South Asia (modern day Pakistan). Of course there was more to the spread of Islam than just that. I say a combination of 2,3,4 and 5. 

As for #5, low caste Hindus might have converted to Islam to escape the caste system, but they could never totally escape it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caste_system_among_South_Asian_Muslims

Buddhists also converted to Islam in large numbers, especially in east Bengal IIRC.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 05:25:33 PM »

All except 1.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 01:23:21 AM »

#2 would be an inaccurate depiction.  Islam really entered Southeast Asia through traders and merchants, not warlords.

Some Sultanates may have gone to war with non-Islamic kingdoms, but I'm not really familiar with any mass-conversations by the sword.

#7 is the most true imo.  "As a socio-cultural process of diffusion and integration over an extended period of time into the sphere of the dominant Muslim civilization and global polity at large. Like a more peacful version of #1."

Anyone mentioning "spheres" and "polities" knows something about pre-modern Southeast Asia.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandala_(Southeast_Asian_history)

Huh

This is about South Asia (modern-day Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka) not Southeast Asia.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 07:19:41 AM »

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
kashifsakhan
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 04:46:24 AM »

none of the above
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 09:17:28 PM »

Elaborate.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 09:24:20 PM »

In Malaysia and Indonesia, it was due to the Koran being a rather useful uniform commercial code, that gave trade advantages to the Sultans, and because the Portuguese were such vicious predatory religious fanatics, while the Muslims just wanted to make money. How times have changed. In India, as I understand it, many of the Muslims were former Hindu untouchables, that decided to opt out of a religion were they were treated like sh**t. Read my friend Bill Bernstein's book on the history of trade, and you can find out all about this stuff. I read the whole book in one sitting. I could not put it down.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 02:38:34 AM »

In Malaysia and Indonesia, it was due to the Koran being a rather useful uniform commercial code, that gave trade advantages to the Sultans, and because the Portuguese were such vicious predatory religious fanatics, while the Muslims just wanted to make money. How times have changed. In India, as I understand it, many of the Muslims were former Hindu untouchables, that decided to opt out of a religion were they were treated like sh**t. Read my friend Bill Bernstein's book on the history of trade, and you can find out all about this stuff. I read the whole book in one sitting. I could not put it down.

You know Bernstein?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 11:19:20 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2010, 11:28:40 AM by Torie »

You know Bernstein?

Yes. I actually "met" him on the internet, when he was a neurologist full time.  Since then, he has become a money manager, written articles, been quoted often in the WSJ, and authored several books, a couple of which I helped edit and comment upon in a modest way. We also did quite a bit of financial research together, using the data base which French of Fama/French fame, gave Bill back in the 1990's, including in particular expected equity permia, and the issue of whether or not the value premia exists, and if so, whether additional risk attends it, and/or whether it is due to "irrational" behavior ala the Richard Thaler model. We also "invented" "Dunn's Law" together (Bill decided that "Dunn's Law" sounded catchier than "Bernstein's Law.")  Tongue

I am going to see him again this September in Philadelphia at the Boglehead conclave that we have every couple of years in various places around the country.

I love the internet. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies