When The Republicans Take Over
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:31:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  When The Republicans Take Over
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: When The Republicans Take Over  (Read 1889 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 21, 2010, 04:26:29 PM »

It's bound to happen eventually that the Republicans will take over the Congress and the White House. Maybe not soon, but it's bound to happen. Where will the Democrats be when this happens? I envy the GOP for their ability to organize and for their think thanks' abilities to astro-turf. What is the Democratic equivalent to the Tea Party?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 04:28:38 PM »

It's bound to happen eventually that the Republicans will take over the Congress and the White House. Maybe not soon, but it's bound to happen. Where will the Democrats be when this happens? I envy the GOP for their ability to organize and for their think thanks' abilities to astro-turf. What is the Democratic equivalent to the Tea Party?

BLT
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:36:48 PM »

BLT

Idk what that means?
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:08:21 PM »

BLT

Idk what that means?

Black Liberation Theology. Hes completely off base though..
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 05:09:59 PM »

BLT

Idk what that means?

Black Liberation Theology. Hes completely off base though..

Yeah that's really an inappropriate response. How can liberals be organized though against Republicans when the time comes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 08:14:25 PM »

There is no equivalence. At this point in the Bush administration, no one was critical of Bush. I mean, sure a few liberals like myself were, but no one gave a sh**t what we had to say.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 08:17:59 PM »

What is the Democratic equivalent to the Tea Party?

http://www.coffeepartyusa.com/
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 08:27:10 PM »

Cute!

But the fact that this is the first most political junkies like me ever heard of this, whereas the tea party has gained kowtowing deference and courtship from the GOP leadership and presidential hopefuls, shows which is more worthy of concern.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 08:39:57 PM »

Cute!

But the fact that this is the first most political junkies like me ever heard of this, whereas the tea party has gained kowtowing deference and courtship from the GOP leadership and presidential hopefuls, shows which is more worthy of concern.

Huh

It was formed as a Democratic counterpart to the Tea Party.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 08:43:38 PM »

Of course the Republicans will eventually take over again. We've known that since November 2008. And we know that after they do take power, the Democrats will take it back from them after a while, and so on. Grin
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 08:50:52 PM »

Of course the Republicans will eventually take over again. We've known that since November 2008. And we know that after they do take power, the Democrats will take it back from them after a while, and so on. Grin

Yeah, but to be honest I thought we were going to lose a Senate seat in 2010, about a year ago.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 08:57:55 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2010, 09:18:08 PM by Vepres »

There is no equivalence. At this point in the Bush administration, no one was critical of Bush. I mean, sure a few liberals like myself were, but no one gave a sh**t what we had to say.

People tend to support their leaders shortly after a major domestic attack Roll Eyes

If there was a major terrorist attack on US soil, last September, there would be no major Tea Party.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 11:28:30 PM »

There can be no Democratic equivalent of the tea party. A bunch of liberals marching around the country, making vaguely threatening statements and demanding to get their country back? The police would be all over them.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 11:36:07 PM »

I just don't understand why there are no well-organized progressive groups. The Coffee Party technically isn't a liberal group, they promote "conversation," and both sides of it. It doesn't have to be called like the "xyz" party, it can be called whatever. I think Democrats should organize. It's unfair.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 03:54:28 AM »

I think the GOP should pass a bill lowering Obama's pay to $250,000 a year since that's enough for anyone.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 04:16:02 AM »

People tend to support their leaders shortly after a major domestic attack Roll Eyes

If there was a major terrorist attack on US soil, last September, there would be no major Tea Party.

Obama would have been impeached by now for not preventing the attack.
Mjh

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 05:54:54 AM »

I think it's far more likely that he would have been enjoying 70-80% approval ratings like GWB did. Even a Republican dominated Congress wouldn't have dared to touch him.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 08:27:21 AM »

What is the Democratic equivalent to the Tea Party?

MoveOn.org
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 09:02:12 AM »

No, the Tea Parties at least have some sensible people. MoveOn has zero.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 10:53:29 AM »

I just don't understand why there are no well-organized progressive groups. The Coffee Party technically isn't a liberal group, they promote "conversation," and both sides of it. It doesn't have to be called like the "xyz" party, it can be called whatever. I think Democrats should organize. It's unfair.

Hippies gave large progressive movements a bad name Tongue
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 11:14:06 AM »

There are plenty of well organized progressive groups, they just do things more productive than hold rallies with poorly made and mispelled signs about how the other side is some evil communist, fascist, Muslim trying to destroy America. MoveOn.org and other liberal PACs actually focus on grassroots activism and electing Democrats.
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 03:08:26 PM »

There are plenty of well organized progressive groups, they just do things more productive than hold rallies with poorly made and mispelled signs about how the other side is some evil communist, fascist, Muslim trying to destroy America. MoveOn.org and other liberal PACs actually focus on grassroots activism and electing Democrats.
The pro-Democrat PACs have been around much longer than the tea party.  Remember, this is the tea party's first national election.  People with those viewpoints are running for office.

To add, some tea parties do more than just stand on sidewalks holding signs.  My local tea party organised two meet the candidate town hall meetings, on for federal office and one for state office.  They invited every candidate, even Patty Murray and Rick Larsen, the Democratic incumbents.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 09:25:59 PM »

I wonder what would happen if it ever came out that he ignored a memo titled "Bin Laden determined to strike in US".
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 09:31:53 PM »

I wonder what would happen if it ever came out that he ignored a memo titled "Bin Laden determined to strike in US".

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 09:39:04 PM »

Why the facepalm? That would be a REAL sign of incompetence.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies