Is Southern California trending GOP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:14:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is Southern California trending GOP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Southern California trending GOP?  (Read 3130 times)
Kodratos
Ataturk

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2004, 01:46:30 PM »
« edited: November 03, 2004, 04:53:37 PM by Kodratos »

This is an area of the country where I would expect Bush to be losing support, but that clearly isn't the case. I'm truely shocked by looking at some of these results. Bush gained ground in EVERY SoCal county. These are the major ones. Imperial, a low-populated traditional Democrat county, saw a one percent swing Bush's way.

Los Angeles County
2000: 64% Gore
2004: 63% Kerry

Orange County
2000: 56% Bush
2004: 60% Bush

Riverside County
2000: Bush 51%
2004: Bush 58%

Ventura County
2000: Bush 48%
2004: Bush 51%

San Bernardino County
2000: Bush 49%
2004: Bush 56%

San Diego County
2000: Bush 50%
2004: Bush 52%
Kevinstat

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 03:35:25 PM »

The Los Angeles County percentage date for 2000 should be for Gore, rather than Kerry, but that's minor.  Thank you for pointing this out.  Some cultural issues that were big in 2000 (like abortion and gun control) didn't seem to be as big this year, and the cultural issues that were big this year (like gay marriage) may not cut the same way.  Anti-immigration sentiment may help explain why Bush made gains instead of Kerry.  Do you know if there are a lot of military bases in southern California?  That might help explain the shift toward Bush.  Also, the populism of the Kerry-Edwards ticket might have turned off some people in southern California.  For many years the big partisan divide in California was north (D) v. south (R, with L.A. as a Democratic exception to that rule but still not as Democratic as it is today), then changed to coastal (D) v. inland (R).  I'm not a paid member of this site so I'm not sure who gained in California overall or in the remainder of California.  If Bush gained overall in the state, it could be that he got the best of both worlds, gaining in the central and northern interior on cultural issues and gaining slightly in southern California on economic, foreign policy and immigration issues.

I hope this reply is helpful to you.  Thank you for bringing this up.

Sincerely,

Kevin Lamoreau
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 02:47:03 AM »

Bush gained among Hispanics.

Hispanics are the major demographic in Southern California.

Bush gained in Southern California Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 07:05:39 AM »

Er...by victory margins San Diego, Los Angeles and Ventura stayed virtually put while the Republicans gained almost 4 points nationally. That looks like slowly trending Democrat to me. San Bernardino and Riverside did trend Republican, like most exurban counties around the nation this time (and unlike last time). I'm not sure if Orange's Rep trend is above or below the national average. You also left out Santa Barbara, which muddles the picture further by swinging pretty heavily Democratic (I think Nader may have got a high share there last time though...)
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 03:07:08 PM »

The Republicans may have gained 3 points nationally but Kerry gained a point in California. I also wouldn't call Santa Barbara SoCal. I have a hard time calling Ventura SoCal as well.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 04:53:46 PM »

Er...by victory margins San Diego, Los Angeles and Ventura stayed virtually put while the Republicans gained almost 4 points nationally. That looks like slowly trending Democrat to me. San Bernardino and Riverside did trend Republican, like most exurban counties around the nation this time (and unlike last time). I'm not sure if Orange's Rep trend is above or below the national average. You also left out Santa Barbara, which muddles the picture further by swinging pretty heavily Democratic (I think Nader may have got a high share there last time though...)

Lewis I could give you these results:

2000:
52 Dem
48 Rep
2004:
58 Rep
42 Dem

and you would tell me that it was trending Democrat.
Amanda
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 07:12:14 AM »

nice
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies