Should voting be mandatory?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:41:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should voting be mandatory?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Should voting be mandatory?  (Read 12332 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2010, 12:01:16 PM »

Derek, I'll buy the plane ticket if you go.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2010, 02:06:24 PM »

You wouldn't without nominally mandatory voting (or at least the tradition of it). Count on it.

Well, yeah, of course it would be a way lower turnout if it stops being mandatory. in the 2007 presidential election there was a turnout of 77% and 1.500.000 protest votes (either null or blank). I'm guessing a huge chunk of those would stay home and then you have to add a bunch of people who actually voted for someone but would surely stay home if they didn't have to vote.
Still, i found it funny that despite making virtually no problems for the person who skips the vote (and this is pretty much widely known) we still have between 75% and 80+% of turnout.

Having mandatory voting is interesting in times of economic crisis or great population rage, where elections give us some hilarious results.
Like for instance in the 2001 legislative elections (just 2 months before the collapse) there was a pretty big campaing where it was said that if you were going to vote you should make a protest vote. This was due to the anger people felt against president De La Rua. Blank or null votes made up nearly 25% of the votes (like 5 million people) and in some provinces the amount of null or blank votes was much greater than the number of votes of candidates who actually won the election Tongue
In the province of Santa fe for instance out of 1.700.000 votes, only 58% of those went to actual candidates, the other 42% was made up of blank and null protest votes. And in the City of Buenos Aires the number of null and blank votes doubled the number of votes that the winner party of the election got Grin
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2010, 08:28:51 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2010, 10:49:34 AM by nclib »

No, this would not be a good idea. That said, I really dislike the attitude that voting isn't worth the time and effort. Yes, one vote is unlikely to make a direct difference, but enough people having that attitude can (and sometimes does) affect the outcome of an election.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2010, 03:59:32 AM »

No, this was not be a good idea. That said, I really dislike the attitude that voting isn't worth the time and effort. Yes, one vote is unlikely to make a direct difference, but enough people having that attitude can (and sometimes does) affect the outcome of an election.

Most elections in the U.S. only have one possible outcome: Republocrat victory.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2010, 04:09:26 AM »

I would lean no, for the reasons stated before, but there should be efforts to expand turnout as much as possible, like making election day a federal holiday.

I completely understand and sympathize with the goals of mandatory voting, though.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2010, 08:56:01 PM »

You should at least be required to show up at the polling place.

What do you suggest we do with the millions that don't?  People don't always follow the law, you know.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2010, 08:59:20 PM »

What do you suggest we do with the millions that don't?  People don't always follow the law, you know.

Countries with compulsory voting generally levy a fine.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2010, 09:06:05 PM »

You should at least be required to show up at the polling place. Also, there should be an "Abstention" option on the ballot.

Why should people be forced to wreck an entire day of their lives to take part in a meaningless exercise in futility? Life is too short to waste it waiting on line at the polling place.

Seriously?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2010, 10:36:27 PM »

Oh, so it has more to do with revenue collection than any actual concern for civil participation. Roll Eyes
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2010, 10:55:11 PM »

why does it seem to be mainly those on the Left who are looking for ways to get uninformed and apathetic people into voting booths?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2010, 12:12:03 AM »

Oh, so it has more to do with revenue collection than any actual concern for civil participation. Roll Eyes

I'm pretty sure that the revenue collected is insignificant.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2010, 12:48:20 AM »

I'm pretty sure that the revenue collected is insignificant.

In which case, just don't have a fine. I could tolerate that system. Tongue
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2010, 10:49:29 PM »

No, but if it were, "None of the above" should be an option on all ballots.

What if our government put as much effort into getting people to vote as they did on conducting the census. People going door to door "Did you vote yet?".
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2010, 10:51:48 PM »

What if our government put as much effort into getting people to vote as they did on conducting the census. People going door to door "Did you vote yet?".

Everything short of legal coercion should be used to get people to vote.  Bad politicians are elected by people who don't vote.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2010, 11:35:42 PM »

Bad politicians are elected by people who don't vote.

Same could be said about those supporting anyone.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2010, 06:19:39 AM »

Everything short of legal coercion should be used to get people to vote.  Bad politicians are elected by people who don't vote.

Actually, I believe there is considerable evidence to the contrary - bad politicians are elected by people who don't want to vote but are forced by law to do so. I know I have seen that offered as an explanation for the success of certain populist, xenophobic parties in some countries. Basically, people who don't want to vote and don't like the system of being forced to do so vote for outrageous parties to say  you to the establishment.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2010, 05:21:26 PM »

Actually, I believe there is considerable evidence to the contrary - bad politicians are elected by people who don't want to vote but are forced by law to do so. I know I have seen that offered as an explanation for the success of certain populist, xenophobic parties in some countries. Basically, people who don't want to vote and don't like the system of being forced to do so vote for outrageous parties to say  you to the establishment.

That's different.  I'm talking about educating potential voters and convincing them to vote.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2010, 01:32:23 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2010, 01:36:35 AM by NīK 2.0 »

No, that would be a terrible idea. It's more then likely that the people that don't vote would be just as uninformed if not more then those who vote already.

Another note is what if someone is interested in politics, but hates all the candidates - why should he be forced to make the "lesser of two evils" choice?

EDIT: I agree with Brandon that if this was ever implemented, a NOTA option would have to be required.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2010, 05:32:02 AM »

No, that would be a terrible idea. It's more then likely that the people that don't vote would be just as uninformed if not more then those who vote already.

Yeah.  I'm not sure how adding hordes of cantankerous, uninformed voters to a pool of cantankerous, predominantly uninformed voters would produce the effect people here want.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2010, 06:20:19 PM »

My fiancee is Australian and voting is mandatory there. So, she often asks me for advice on how to vote since she's non-political. She's best matched with Australia's Labor Party, but I have a feeling she would never vote at all if it wasn't.

Really, I don't think it should be mandatory.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2010, 01:24:05 PM »

If this happened in the UK, it would probably help Labour more than the Tories, but the BNP might get a lot of "spite votes".

In any case, I oppose. It's too authoritarian.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2010, 03:03:06 PM »

If this happened in the UK, it would probably help Labour more than the Tories, but the BNP might get a lot of "spite votes".

In any case, I oppose. It's too authoritarian.

In truth, I would suspect the Democrats would ultimately benefit from this. The Republicans are masters of keeping their voters loyal, but the Democrats have much easier ideas to sell.

"You want everyone to have health care? Then vote Democrat! You want Social Security when you are older? Vote Democrat! You want to end the Iraq war? Then vote Democrat on November 4th!"
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2010, 07:59:33 PM »

I don't see any good argument for why it should be mandatory, so no.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2010, 11:58:04 PM »

I would support doing so if non-political people could choose NOTA
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2010, 02:25:00 AM »

Have better candidates and more than two viable options, then more people might actually vote.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies