Should voting be mandatory? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:25:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should voting be mandatory? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Should voting be mandatory?  (Read 12421 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« on: July 21, 2010, 11:58:34 PM »

No.  Most of the people who do not vote choose not to, either because the options don't suit them, or because they can't make it on election day, or they just don't give a sh-t, or because they're just retarded.  In the case of college kids, a combination of the last two.  The right to vote includes the right not to vote.

Taking steps to eliminate voter apathy would be a much better solution.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 01:07:23 AM »

You should at least be required to show up at the polling place.

What exactly is the point in that?  How is being forced to show up at the polling place any different from being forced to vote?  That's just absurd.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 01:01:52 PM »

How about instead of forcing people to vote, we work towards informing potential voters, encouraging them to vote, and making voting more convenient?  For example, move election day to a weekend or make it a holiday, and have state and/or local governments distribute voter information guides to everyone.  Part of the problem is that sometimes people don't know there's an election, in the case of primaries, midterms, and local elections.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 02:40:59 PM »

You should at least be required to show up at the polling place. Also, there should be an "Abstention" option on the ballot.

Come on Barnes!
It is kind of hypocritical to force people to show up to vote in supposedly "free" and "democratic" elections.

Well like I said, you don't have to vote. But being a lazy-ass and complaining about the system and then complaining about the people elected, even when you didn't care enough to vote, is kind of hypocritical.

Well then, what's the POINT in forcing people to show up at the polling place, if they're not required to vote?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 10:51:48 PM »

No, but if it were, "None of the above" should be an option on all ballots.

What if our government put as much effort into getting people to vote as they did on conducting the census. People going door to door "Did you vote yet?".

Everything short of legal coercion should be used to get people to vote.  Bad politicians are elected by people who don't vote.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 05:21:26 PM »

No, but if it were, "None of the above" should be an option on all ballots.

What if our government put as much effort into getting people to vote as they did on conducting the census. People going door to door "Did you vote yet?".

Everything short of legal coercion should be used to get people to vote.  Bad politicians are elected by people who don't vote.

Actually, I believe there is considerable evidence to the contrary - bad politicians are elected by people who don't want to vote but are forced by law to do so. I know I have seen that offered as an explanation for the success of certain populist, xenophobic parties in some countries. Basically, people who don't want to vote and don't like the system of being forced to do so vote for outrageous parties to say  you to the establishment.

That's different.  I'm talking about educating potential voters and convincing them to vote.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 01:42:31 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2010, 01:44:13 PM by Northeast Representative Morgan »

Would forcing people to vote be unconstitutional?

Yes, because no provision gives Congress the power to do so.  They could however pull a Necessary and Proper Clause justification out of their asses, but I don't see how forcing people to vote would be necessary and proper to Congress's delegated powers, under Article I, Section VIII.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies