This Isn't Protectionism Act [FAIL'D]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:59:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  This Isn't Protectionism Act [FAIL'D]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: This Isn't Protectionism Act [FAIL'D]  (Read 4053 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2010, 04:41:52 PM »
« edited: August 20, 2010, 09:43:19 PM by Bacon King »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Senator Bacon King
Bill Slot: Seven (PPT's discretion)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 04:46:36 PM »

The Department of the Interior approves of this bill, though we're secretly dismayed that it isn't protectionism Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 04:49:30 PM »

The original title was, "This isn't what protectionism is you idiots act"; I took the liberty of modifying it to something less undignified when sponsoring it for Marokai.

Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 05:02:42 PM »

For the record, though, I don't think I can support this bill in its present form. It seems far too extreme. Tax breaks of all types are ingrained in the American/Atlasian tax code to the extent that pretty much any company pays a significantly lower share than they "should". Removing tax exemptions, of course, means that they'll be paying higher taxes. And while I agree that we should limit incentives for outsourcing, this bill is just crazy.

Say the New York Times wants to moves a reporter from their main office to their office in London: BOOM! Higher taxes for the whole company forever.

Or what if a manager at Toyota's Huntsville, Alabama plant gets promoted to the Corporate Offices in Tokyo? BOOM! Higher taxes for the whole company forever.

Or how about if a San Diego security firm gets a job to do major upgrades to the surveillance systems of an office building in Tijuana, and do to the length of the job rents an apartment in the area for its employees? BOOM! Higher taxes for the whole company forever.

Those are just a few examples that demonstrate how excessive the bill is.

Also, I don't think there's any points in getting rid of tax breaks for companies that move their businesses overseas. If the company isn't going to be located in the US anymore, they won't be paying US taxes anyway! What's the point in that?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 05:08:19 PM »

A much better title would have been, "This is what piss poor policy is you idiots act".

What the hell does the word move mean? This bill will either be very counterproductive and damaging or entirely useless depending on how that word is defined. Most jobs aren't moved offshore. They are "eliminated" here, and then "created" there. So if defined narrowly, "move" would render this entirely ineffective. Plus if an Atlasian company were to leave the same number of jobs here, but create 50 in China, would they get hit by this? What about an entirely new company creating 15 jobs here and 75 in Mexico, would they get hit by this?

The best way would be to find the tax breaks which "encourage offshoring" (keep in mind that was an unintended consequence of a blanket tax break) and make them condition on a certain percentage of new job creation being done in the Atlasia.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 05:11:46 PM »

This is why going to get dinner in middle of writing a post may not be a good idea. Grin
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 05:16:10 PM »

The Department of the Interior approves of this bill, though we're secretly dismayed that it isn't protectionism Tongue

Fake communist.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 05:45:46 PM »

Nope...idiotic Bill that certainly won't get my support in its current form.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 07:57:59 PM »

If anyone wants to try to amend this into something sensible, go for it, otherwise I'm pretty sure this bill is dead in the water.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 08:14:05 PM »

I've lost all desire to even defend my own proposals anymore, so you're free to trash the thing.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 09:22:09 PM »

What on earth....?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 09:33:04 PM »

I've lost all desire to even defend my own proposals anymore, so you're free to trash the thing.

If the title of the bill were honest at least...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 09:45:10 PM »

Hang on, hang on people. Yes, in its one sentence form the bill is undoubtedly, a tad lacking lets say.

Still, the theory and sentiment behind the bill is spot on. Lets work on it (you too, Mr. VP MB) before immediately and summarily relegating it to the trash can.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 05:40:48 AM »

Hang on, hang on people. Yes, in its one sentence form the bill is undoubtedly, a tad lacking lets say.

Still, the theory and sentiment behind the bill is spot on. Lets work on it (you too, Mr. VP MB) before immediately and summarily relegating it to the trash can.

Hmph. I don't really know what to change to make it more likable to this predominantly right wing Senate. Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 12:26:08 PM »

Hmph. I don't really know what to change to make it more likable to this predominantly right wing Senate. Tongue

Be nice, Blue. Wink

That said, while I think a measure reasonably limiting or discouraging offshoring jobs would pass the Senate, this would need a great deal of language added to address the legitimate issues BK raises. If anyone wants to essentially rewrite the bill from its current one sentence form as an amendment, I'm open to it. Otherwise maybe such a proposal should be introduced as an alltogether separate bill.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 03:49:37 PM »

This bill seems to make the assumption that tax breaks are given to companies who send their workers overseas. Is that really the case?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 05:30:03 PM »

Guys, at least try and amend this bill.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 05:31:13 PM »

Afleitch suggested in his paper to reverse the bill, instead of punishing for sending jobs overseas, reward them for staying or moving back here. I'm fine with changing the approach, but I can only imagine this will get a tidal wave of opposition as well.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 05:34:41 PM »

Afleitch suggested in his paper to reverse the bill, instead of punishing for sending jobs overseas, reward them for staying or moving back here. I'm fine with changing the approach, but I can only imagine this will get a tidal wave of opposition as well.

Well of course, there are alot of free trade fundamentalists out there.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 05:43:31 PM »

I like the idea, I'd just like to see implementable text for it. I think you're overestimating opposition here.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 09:30:54 AM »

I'd just like to pop my head in here to say that I'd imagine alfeitch's suggestion would allow this bill to pass easily. Simply put, I think an incentive for a business to stay is a lot more palatable to, as Winston predictably puts it, "free trade fundamentalists" than the alternative.

*is dragged from Senate floor*
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 11:52:23 AM »

I wouldn't necessarily mind an incentive to keep jobs in Atlasia. It would not have the counter-producitve effect that the legislation currently, as proposed, most definitely would.

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2010, 05:29:16 PM »

Aflietch's proposal seems better than what we currently have on the table....just my opinion at least.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 08:04:32 PM »

Hey, wait a minute, I am the depressed fatalist here. Tongue

I would need to see it.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 09:34:02 PM »

How about...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies