Give Kerry credit for showing class in his fairly rapid concession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:43:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Give Kerry credit for showing class in his fairly rapid concession
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Give Kerry credit for showing class in his fairly rapid concession  (Read 3384 times)
pollwatch99-a
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2004, 02:22:15 PM »

I didn't support or vote for him but hats off to a class act in conceding the election.

Thank you Senator for supporting democracy and our election process, you handled this with grace and dignity
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 02:33:57 PM »

I second the motion.

I thought the Edwards speech was awful - not a word of congratulations to Pres. Bush or a pledge to work together in the future - but Sen. Kerry's speech was very moving.

I hope Kerry's most ardent supporters, who have seemed to be driven mainly by hate and condescension toward the president, listen to what Sen. Kerry said, and I hope the president's supporters also respond graciously.

I thought it was excellent that he mentioned victory in Iraq and in the war on terror, rather than simply getting out of Iraq.  I was very moved when his daughters joined him on the stage.  All in all, it was a wonderful example of how we should all behave, win or lose.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 02:37:27 PM »

I didn't support or vote for him but hats off to a class act in conceding the election.

Thank you Senator for supporting democracy and our election process, you handled this with grace and dignity

I always gave Senator Kerry credit.  I am not ashamed to have helped re-elect Kerry to the US senate in 1996 and would gladly do so again in 2008 should I find myself a registered voter in the Bay State.  Good to see him return to that office.  We almost, but not quite applied the Peter Principle to a great US Senator, but we managed to come to our senses and send Kerry, a fine man, back to his Senate seat and re-elect George Bush.  All around a win-win situation.

Senator Kerry!  Senator Kerry!  Senator Kerry!
Rococo4

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 02:45:32 PM »

I will second this. 

I am sure there were people telling to keep fighting.  He was gracious.  hats off to him.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 02:55:41 PM »

Of course.  I actually repect him a little now for not pulling a Gore.  Congratuations Senator, you actually have class.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 02:58:16 PM »

Congrats, Senator, once again, congrats.  Excellent speech in concession, I have greater respect for him now than before, period.

OTOH, the gracious of Sen. Kerry shows even more the viciousness of Al Gore.
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 03:00:10 PM »

If the democrats are taken over now by the Michael Moore wing of the party or the kind of awful populists like John Edwards, I will not continue to support them. I agree that his short speech didn't make a good impression. He seemed to echo the democratic myth or half-myth about "stolen elections".

Kerry showed his skills and his graciousness. I think we all can agree now that he is a good man and that he proved the GOP caricature wrong.
Josh
cyberlord

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 03:02:25 PM »

I find it a pity that he conceded so early.  Despite the results that were mostly against our side, still there was hope that the future would be bright.  I respect his graciousness, but not his timing, nor his backing down.  You all may be glad that he conceded so you can continue to rule the world, but I am sad to see such a great man defeated by this ape.
raggage

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 03:02:28 PM »

Of course.  I actually repect him a little now for not pulling a Gore.  Congratuations Senator, you actually have class.

I think it is excellent that you guys are gracious 'winners'. It is certainly good to hear. (Although $10 to everyone if 'Philip' does the same). I am dissapointed for Kerry though. I guess it shows a sharp swing to the right.

What I hope happens however, and I hope you republicans will agree, is that the GOP doesn't move any further right (Santorum etc). I think moderacy is what is needed now, on both sides.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 03:09:56 PM »

Not dragging this out was good for everyone.

I may not have agreed with all Senator Kerry's policies, which is one reason why I didn't back him. I disliked his negativity, another reason.

This showed dignity and a respect for the wishes of the American people.

Kerry for Minority Leader!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 03:54:23 PM »

I find it a pity that he conceded so early.  Despite the results that were mostly against our side, still there was hope that the future would be bright.  I respect his graciousness, but not his timing, nor his backing down.

The combination of an excellent provision showing and a perturbation of the results in a recount was his only real chance for victory in Ohio.  I am certain that if by some miracle the provisionals move Ohio close enough to invoke an automatic recount and the recount gives Kerry Ohio, Kerry will accept the presidency, and he doesn't need a bunch of lawsuits to get that done.  I am pleasantly surprised that he didn't wait until Nov. 13 for the provisionals to be counted to conceed, myself.  A smooth ending to the election is much more important than which if those two yahoos is president.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies