2008: Jeb Bush vs. Joe Lieberman, with a twist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:17:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008: Jeb Bush vs. Joe Lieberman, with a twist
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008: Jeb Bush vs. Joe Lieberman, with a twist  (Read 2539 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »

Al Gore narrowly wins in 2000. 9/11 still occurs, and Gore invades Afghanistan afterwards. The U.S. economy goes into a recession in 2001-2003. Gore passes tax cuts for the middle class and the poor. Listening to Gore's advice, Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan decides not to lower interest rates too much and thus decides not to create a housing bubble. Gore narrowly defeats McCain in 2004 and gets reelected. The economy is in good shape in 2008 and there is no recession or financial crisis. Also, the U.S. has a budget surplus in 2001 and every year between 2004 and 2008. In Gore's second term, the U.S. defeats the Taliban and establishes a timetable for withdrawal from Afghanistan. Also, the U.S. uses diplomacy to solve the Iraqi WMD problem, the Iranian nuclear problem, and the Arab-Israeli conflict, which leads to a normalization of relations between Israel and the Arab and Muslim worlds. Gore also establishes closer relations with Russia, China, India, and Latin America in addition to strengthening American ties with Europe. After Senator Hillary Clinton decides not to run, the Democrats nominate VP Joe Lieberman in 2008, while the GOP nominate former Florida Governor Jeb Bush. Bush runs a traditional conservative campaign of increased defense spending and cutting taxes and govt. spending. Lieberman pledges to continue the prosperity and surplus of the Gore and Clinton years. As a side note, Democrats regain control of Congress in 2002 (due to 9/11) and remain in control of both houses of Congress in 2004 and 2006. You pick the VPs. Discuss, with maps. I will make my own map and post it later.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 08:27:19 PM »

Joe Lieberman/Mark Warner-302 EV
Jeb Bush/Tim Pawlenty-236 EV

Lieberman wins, but his lack of charisma makes this race closer than it would have been otherwise.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:50:11 PM »

Anyone?
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 09:54:34 PM »

Lieberman 298-240
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 09:59:24 PM »

Who are the VPs?
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 10:05:36 PM »

Gov. Doyle (D-WI)
Gov. Lingle (R-HI)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 10:11:17 PM »

Doyle seems to be a pretty reasonable VP pick for Lieberman. However, Lingle is pro-abortion, and I seriously doubt Jeb would want to make many religious voters and pro-lifers stay home. When there was speculation McCain might pick someone who supports abortion as VP, many pro-lifers threatened not to vote for McCain. I seriously doubt Jeb would want to take that risk.  Also, Lingle is Jewish, and this might be interpreted as an attempt to upstage Lieberman (who would have been the first Jewish President). However, I think Lingle's position on abortion would hurt her chances of being picked VP much more than her religion would. Thus, I think Jeb would pick a pro-lifer as VP.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 05:47:58 PM »

Jeb Bush/Judd Gregg (R) 273
Joe Lieberman/Bill Nelson (D) 265

Lieberman upstages Bush by choosing Bill Nelson as his veep pick. The election, as in 2000, comes down to Florida. Late into the night, Bush is elected President.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 10:09:12 PM »

Lieberman upstages Bush by choosing Bill Nelson as his veep pick. The election, as in 2000, comes down to Florida. Late into the night, Bush is elected President.

I seriously doubt Lieberman would have fought for Florida in this scenario. He would view it as a lost cause and pick someone else for VP.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 02:46:18 PM »

I seriously doubt Lieberman would have fought for Florida in this scenario. He would view it as a lost cause and pick someone else for VP.

I think he would. There's a high Jewish vote in Florida
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 05:45:34 PM »

I think he would. There's a high Jewish vote in Florida

True, but since Jeb is a popular former governor, Lieberman would have felt that the Republicans have a strong advantage and thus wouldn't spend a lot of time in FL.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies