The Next Right and the New Left: Dialectics for the free man
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:58:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  The Next Right and the New Left: Dialectics for the free man
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Next Right and the New Left: Dialectics for the free man  (Read 10552 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 12:43:09 PM »

It will never cease to amaze me how someone can keep up such a pretense of being an intellectual while clearly ignoring all such things as thoughts.

You mean that you expected to find much in the way of credible intellectual argument in a thread that includes 'dialectics for the free man' in its title?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 05:32:38 PM »

It will never cease to amaze me how someone can keep up such a pretense of being an intellectual while clearly ignoring all such things as thoughts.

You mean that you expected to find much in the way of credible intellectual argument in a thread that includes 'dialectics for the free man' in its title?

Well...no, but it will never cease to amaze me. Tongue

Note to the public: if you make a statement, someone else comes up with a clear argument disproving it and you respond with a personal attack you have lost the debate and should hide in shame.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 05:40:49 PM »

Well...no, but it will never cease to amaze me. Tongue

Note to the public: if you make a statement, someone else comes up with a clear argument disproving it and you respond with a personal attack you have lost the debate and should hide in shame.

"Clear argument disproving it"? These words, I don't think they mean what you think they mean. Where was the argument?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 05:48:51 PM »

Actually, scratch that: I'll be stepping out for awhile, possibly the rest of the night. I eagerly await the mental aerobics you engage in to contort a few lines of disagreement from Guderian into a philosophy-killer.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 07:38:38 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2010, 07:43:35 PM by Lunar »

FYI -- Moderators are subject to the same rules as everyone else (and I've even semi-recently seen a moderator delete another moderator's posts that crossed the line).   You can and should report personal attacks made from moderators if you view them as violating the ToS.  Some posters who are newer or historical ruckus-causers may find their posts subjected to more skepticism rather than being given the benefit of the doubt fwiw, but that's natural and expected.  
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 04:28:28 AM »

Ok...you claimed, several times, that the country had moved to the right on social issues.

Guderian named pretty much every social issue there is pointing out that the country had moved to the left on these issues. To this you replied that it was good that we had moved to the left but that he was a communist or some other insult you've made up. So, you essentially admitted to being wrong, even though it was implicitly.

Then you now seemed to have done a classic moving of the goal-posts trying to pretend that you actually meant that the average American is more socially conservative. That, too, is obvious nonsense given the levels of conservative attitudes in the 1960s (look at interracial marriages, for example) but it doesn't matter.

Even if you can twist your words into  a new meaning it doesn't really matter. He made a case against you and you replied with nothing but a personal insult. That is getting owned.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2010, 07:18:42 AM »

America as a whole is certainly more liberal towards "social issue" (Whatever they are, I'm using the functional definition here) since the 50s and 60s, but this has been at the expense of the strongest liberals and radicals effectively dissappearing from the debate. Read into that what you will.
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 03:04:17 PM »

your analysis is nothing new, and sounds typical of how most people think.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies