Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 02:38:08 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate
| | |-+  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Beet)
| | | |-+  The Next Right and the New Left: Dialectics for the free man
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The Next Right and the New Left: Dialectics for the free man  (Read 5644 times)
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 12:43:09 pm »
Ignore

It will never cease to amaze me how someone can keep up such a pretense of being an intellectual while clearly ignoring all such things as thoughts.

You mean that you expected to find much in the way of credible intellectual argument in a thread that includes 'dialectics for the free man' in its title?

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 05:32:38 pm »
Ignore

It will never cease to amaze me how someone can keep up such a pretense of being an intellectual while clearly ignoring all such things as thoughts.

You mean that you expected to find much in the way of credible intellectual argument in a thread that includes 'dialectics for the free man' in its title?

Well...no, but it will never cease to amaze me. Tongue

Note to the public: if you make a statement, someone else comes up with a clear argument disproving it and you respond with a personal attack you have lost the debate and should hide in shame.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Scam of God
Einzige
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 05:40:49 pm »
Ignore

Well...no, but it will never cease to amaze me. Tongue

Note to the public: if you make a statement, someone else comes up with a clear argument disproving it and you respond with a personal attack you have lost the debate and should hide in shame.

"Clear argument disproving it"? These words, I don't think they mean what you think they mean. Where was the argument?

Life is change --
How it differs from the rocks
I've seen their ways
Too often for my liking

New worlds to gain
My life is to survive
And be alive
For you

- Jefferson Airplane, "Crown of Creation"

The right to die in Iraq was a right not previously possessed by Americans for twelve long years.  Bush rectified that.
Scam of God
Einzige
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 05:48:51 pm »
Ignore

Actually, scratch that: I'll be stepping out for awhile, possibly the rest of the night. I eagerly await the mental aerobics you engage in to contort a few lines of disagreement from Guderian into a philosophy-killer.

Life is change --
How it differs from the rocks
I've seen their ways
Too often for my liking

New worlds to gain
My life is to survive
And be alive
For you

- Jefferson Airplane, "Crown of Creation"

The right to die in Iraq was a right not previously possessed by Americans for twelve long years.  Bush rectified that.
Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 07:38:38 pm »
Ignore

FYI -- Moderators are subject to the same rules as everyone else (and I've even semi-recently seen a moderator delete another moderator's posts that crossed the line).   You can and should report personal attacks made from moderators if you view them as violating the ToS.  Some posters who are newer or historical ruckus-causers may find their posts subjected to more skepticism rather than being given the benefit of the doubt fwiw, but that's natural and expected.  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:43:35 pm by Lunar »Logged

this is real
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 04:28:28 am »
Ignore

Ok...you claimed, several times, that the country had moved to the right on social issues.

Guderian named pretty much every social issue there is pointing out that the country had moved to the left on these issues. To this you replied that it was good that we had moved to the left but that he was a communist or some other insult you've made up. So, you essentially admitted to being wrong, even though it was implicitly.

Then you now seemed to have done a classic moving of the goal-posts trying to pretend that you actually meant that the average American is more socially conservative. That, too, is obvious nonsense given the levels of conservative attitudes in the 1960s (look at interracial marriages, for example) but it doesn't matter.

Even if you can twist your words into  a new meaning it doesn't really matter. He made a case against you and you replied with nothing but a personal insult. That is getting owned.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2010, 07:18:42 am »
Ignore

America as a whole is certainly more liberal towards "social issue" (Whatever they are, I'm using the functional definition here) since the 50s and 60s, but this has been at the expense of the strongest liberals and radicals effectively dissappearing from the debate. Read into that what you will.

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'

Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 03:04:17 pm »
Ignore

your analysis is nothing new, and sounds typical of how most people think.

metaphysical principles relied on deductive logic, just like isolationism,non-intervention, and the common good do today. More importantly however is that various individuals make the mistake of using them for a golden axiom, despite the fact they have no inherent quality.-John Hoffman

people who claim to be critical thinkers without imposing a simple form of inquiry tend to be pseudoskeptics.-John hoffman

to kill an argument...focus on its structure, and assumptions.- john Hoffman.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout