Michigan Primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:56:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Michigan Primary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Michigan GOP Primary
Mike Cox

Mike Bouchard

Tom George

Pete Hoekstra

Rick Snyder

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Michigan Primary  (Read 8322 times)
ShadowRocket
cb48026

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2010, 05:30:34 PM »

Honestly, I'm disappointed with the results. I'm doubting how effective either one of these guys would be as governor. Synder's too much of a newbie and Bernero is the bitch of the unions.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2010, 05:32:04 PM »

Probably Snyder, if I was looking for the most capable candidate.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2010, 06:07:31 PM »

So, is Snyder a real moderate, or a BRTD-derided "OMGZ PRO-CHOICE" moderate?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2010, 02:30:04 AM »

Snyder does have a good campaign manager, I'll give him that.

And he's a semi-social moderate.  But I wouldn't even call him pro-choice.  I guess it's not even really that he's that moderate, it's just nobody knows what he is.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2010, 08:44:46 AM »

Well it looks like the nerd is our next governor. Bernero is a joke and everyone knows it. We all know how well he handled Lansing.

Really? You must not spend much time there. Old Town has been the focus of a lot of urban renewal projects, Common Ground continues to book hugely popular acts, and they've built new condos in the stadium district within the past five years. Downtown hasn't seen that much activity in a long time.
Obscure
Rookie
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2010, 06:19:58 PM »

Well it looks like the nerd is our next governor. Bernero is a joke and everyone knows it. We all know how well he handled Lansing.

Really? You must not spend much time there. Old Town has been the focus of a lot of urban renewal projects, Common Ground continues to book hugely popular acts, and they've built new condos in the stadium district within the past five years. Downtown hasn't seen that much activity in a long time.

The fact of the matter is that Bernero can't campaign to save his life. Hell he threw his own party under the bus during his primary acceptance speech. He's gonna destroy himself all on his own and let Snyder take the cake. Not only that but he also has to worry about the damage Granholm has done over the past 7 years. Her record sure won't be of any help to him.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2010, 07:00:13 AM »

The fact of the matter is that Bernero can't campaign to save his life.

I couldn't disagree more. The first time I met Virg was in 2002, when he was running for State Senate. Even then, he was more than happy to agree to come speak to a group of high schoolers, while his opponent sent in his PR representative. Virg is a very grassroots populist type, who loves knocking on doors, shaking hands, stumping, and hanging out with Lansing residents.

He went from almost zero name recognition outside of Mid-Michigan earlier this year to beating one of the most well-known politicians statewide by nearly 20 points in the primary. That typically doesn't happen when one "can't campaign to save their life."
DS0816
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2010, 09:06:34 PM »

With just one exception (1990 GOP John Engler), Michigan has been like Virginia (since 1977) and New Jersey (since 1989): Since 1978, the state has been electing to the governor's mansion the opposition White House party [candidate]. If that trend holds, Republican Rick Snyder has the advantage to win the general and become the 48th governor of Michigan.

As for Democratic gubernatorial nominee Virg Bernero: For someone who "can't campaign to save his life," he's been effective at getting elected to the Michigan Senate and Michigan House of Representatives, prior to winning election in 2005 as mayor of the state's capitol, Lansing.

But don't let these facts get in your way.…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virg_Bernero#Political_career
Dgov
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2010, 10:43:59 PM »

With just one exception (1990 GOP John Engler), Michigan has been like Virginia (since 1977) and New Jersey (since 1989): Since 1978, the state has been electing to the governor's mansion the opposition White House party [candidate]. If that trend holds, Republican Rick Snyder has the advantage to win the general and become the 48th governor of Michigan.

As for Democratic gubernatorial nominee Virg Bernero: For someone who "can't campaign to save his life," he's been effective at getting elected to the Michigan Senate and Michigan House of Representatives, prior to winning election in 2005 as mayor of the state's capitol, Lansing.

There's a Difference between Campaigning and winning a General election in Lansing and winning statewide.  Let me ask, when was the last time he had a remotely competitive election?  According to Wikipedia, Lansing's last Mayor election wasn't even contested by the Republican party.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2010, 02:47:04 PM »

There's a Difference between Campaigning and winning a General election in Lansing and winning statewide.  Let me ask, when was the last time he had a remotely competitive election?  According to Wikipedia, Lansing's last Mayor election wasn't even contested by the Republican party.

I know for a fact that the 2002 State Senate election was competitive (I was living there at the time) as far as State Senate races go. I'm sure there's very little information available on the Internet regarding the race, but I do remember the Lansing State Journal endorsing Paul DeWeese (his Republican opponent) over him.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies