Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 12:34:10 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate (Moderator: Beet)
| | |-+  Opinion of Obamacare
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Poll
Question: Do you support Obamacare?
I oppose it from the left.   -23 (25%)
I oppose it from the right.   -25 (27.2%)
I oppose it from the center (i.e. I would support Wyden-Bennett or similar)   -2 (2.2%)
I would prefer something else, but support it.   -38 (41.3%)
I wholeheartedly support it.   -4 (4.3%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 92

Author Topic: Opinion of Obamacare  (Read 5415 times)
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: -1.57

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2010, 07:49:51 pm »
Ignore

What is your opinion of the recent massive health care legislation passed in the US?
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 08:02:19 pm »
Ignore

I oppose it from the right.
Senator Libertas
Libertas
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.48, S: -9.22

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 08:26:04 pm »
Ignore

As a non-fascist, I oppose ObamaCare, period.
??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 09:24:54 pm »
Ignore

useful idiot
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 09:39:11 pm »
Ignore

Oppose it from the left.
Lief
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 09:40:58 pm »
Ignore

Since I'm not a leftist that lives in a fantasy-land and because I think that the bill does a lot of good things, I support it.

At the very least, this turn of events seems to validate my prediction that Americans are ready and willing to fully embrace fascism.
I dreamed about Lief spanking Rand Paul.
Frink
Lafayette53
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 10:13:55 pm »
Ignore

Strongly oppose it from the left. It does some good things (and some other things I find very questionable), but a bill securing a public option would have been an infinitely better use of congress's time.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:03:22 pm by Lafayette53 »Logged

"Free speech is not to be regulated like diseased cattle and impure butter. The audience that hissed yesterday may applaud today, even for the same performance." - William O. Douglas
useful idiot
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 10:18:59 pm »
Ignore

Since I'm not a leftist that lives in a fantasy-land and because I think that the bill does a lot of good things, I support it.

You're right, you don't live in any developed nation other than the U.S. (or as you call it, "fantasy-land"). I'm glad to hear you're not a "leftist", like the Tories, Aussie Liberals, Canadian Conservatives, CDU, etc etc. Those Che-tshirt wearing bra burning Trotskyite pinkos are so far out there...
cpeeks
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 11:48:37 pm »
Ignore

Hopefully from what I have heard it violates interstate commerce laws and will be struck down as un-constitutional.
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 12:35:10 am »
Ignore

Presumably the rest of the developed world is a fantasy-land.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Lief
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 01:57:43 am »
Ignore

You're right, you don't live in any developed nation other than the U.S. (or as you call it, "fantasy-land"). I'm glad to hear you're not a "leftist", like the Tories, Aussie Liberals, Canadian Conservatives, CDU, etc etc. Those Che-tshirt wearing bra burning Trotskyite pinkos are so far out there...

The idea that we could pass anything like single-payer in one go in this country is a fantasy. Now, the system that the Democrats did pass, puts us on the track to transition our healthcare system into something like Germany or the Netherland's, which would be a fine one. But it won't happen over-night or in a single bill.

I would love if our country was normal, like the rest of the Western developed world, where our Democratic party represented the center-right, we had some sort of sensible center-left social democrat/labor party, and the Republicans were a fringe party that got 10% of the vote if they're lucky. But we're not.

At the very least, this turn of events seems to validate my prediction that Americans are ready and willing to fully embrace fascism.
I dreamed about Lief spanking Rand Paul.
Pope Kalwejt I of Northeast
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 02:13:40 am »
Ignore

Ok, so an entire Europe which doesn't leave citizens to die without health care is fascist?

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 02:17:12 am »
Ignore

Ok, so an entire Europe which doesn't leave citizens to die without health care is fascist?

He's going to say yes. Why did you ask that. Tongue

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 11:37:25 am »
Ignore

Who on earth would call this Health care bill 'massive', other than a right-wing propagandist, wormyguy?  It only spends insignificant amounts of money on a problem which deserves about triple the resources.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.43

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 12:11:27 pm »
Ignore

I oppose it.

First of all I don't think the federal government should be involved in health care. It should be a state or local issue. At the state or local level though I would support a "single payer" or whatever as long as it didn't include abortions.

Second of all it mandates the purchase of a corporate product. You cannot really get more corporatist than that.

So ultimately I oppose it both from the right and the left. I would have preferred the original house bill as at least it had a public option so it didn't mandate the purchase of a corporate product, but I still didn't support that one either.
Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 12:14:24 pm »
Ignore

Since most of what passed won't be taking effect for quite sometime, who knows, and who knows if the Senate will keep it's promise to put a public option in it......who knows, ya know?Huh

I only had 3 sandwiches instead of my normal 4.

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 12:30:43 pm »
Ignore

I'd oppose it from the left. I'd much prefer a system that would liberate business, and employers, from the 'burden' of providing it

Moderate Liberal Populist Smiley [Personal 45%/Economic 42%] / Defense 'Hawk'

Registered in Georgia for Fantasy Politics
Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -8.52

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 05:42:33 pm »
Ignore

I'd prefer a system of single payer for all children and young adults under 25, the elderly over 65, and the indigent and disabled.

The government option should then also be offered to the working poor with income and number of dependents determining out of pocket costs.

Working adults should get their health insurance on their own through a myriad of choices like health insurance cooperatives, non profit insurance organizations, and health saving accounts that are tax free for any amount spent on health care.

"Above and beyond the question of how to grow the economy there is a legitimate concern about how to grow the quality of our lives."
-Paul Wellstone

Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 05:44:30 pm »
Ignore

Support, though it's not what I wanted.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 08:50:09 pm »
Ignore

Who on earth would call this Health care bill 'massive', other than a right-wing propagandist, wormyguy?  It only spends insignificant amounts of money on a problem which deserves about triple the resources.
Well, considering that it spends more money per year than the entire GDP of Hungary, and it radically restructures the American healthcare system, I think that it's fair to call it "massive." I suppose that makes me a "right-wing propagandist."
Mint
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 09:00:42 pm »
Ignore

Oppose, label me what you want. I actually don't have that firm of an idea of what I think we should do for healthcare, certain aspects of both Paul Ryan and Mike Gravel's voucher plans appeal but that's really all that comes to mind. Honestly the way things are now I think discussing healthcare reform is almost a moot point though, given the severity of our problems and the total inability for people to discuss any real comprehensive reform given the HMOS/AMA/AARP/etc...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:03:22 pm by Mint »Logged
Mint
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 09:04:00 pm »
Ignore

Oh and hi Wormy, I recognize you from The Ark!
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 09:08:50 pm »
Ignore

Hi - who are you?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 09:42:55 pm »
Ignore

AH.com is much better.

Free Bradley Manning
Mint
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 10:04:17 pm »
Ignore

Hi - who are you?

PMed you that info. Tongue

AH.com is much better.

They have some good timelines and things still but I really can't stomach the 'culture' at this point.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 10:09:41 pm by Mint »Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout