Opinion of Obamacare (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:31:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of Obamacare (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support Obamacare?
I oppose it from the left.

I oppose it from the right.

I oppose it from the center (i.e. I would support Wyden-Bennett or similar)

I would prefer something else, but support it.

I wholeheartedly support it.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Opinion of Obamacare  (Read 11158 times)
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« on: July 26, 2010, 08:02:19 PM »

I oppose it from the right.
hantheguitarman

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 01:26:26 PM »

Who on earth would call this Health care bill 'massive', other than a right-wing propagandist, wormyguy?  It only spends insignificant amounts of money on a problem which deserves about triple the resources.
Well, considering that it spends more money per year than the entire GDP of Hungary, and it radically restructures the American healthcare system, I think that it's fair to call it "massive." I suppose that makes me a "right-wing propagandist."

Apparently.  What does the GDP of Hungary have to do with it?  A trillion dollars over a decade is nothing, considering the size of the US, and especially compared to the amount wasted on military and privileges for the rich.

Privileges? Are you saying that the rich don't have rights to their money and that the fact that taxes are low for them is a privilege? And if so, what property rights do you believe people have?
hantheguitarman

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »

Privileges? Are you saying that the rich don't have rights to their money and that the fact that taxes are low for them is a privilege? And if so, what property rights do you believe people have?

Property is a privilege, not a 'right' (what is a 'right' anyway?)

Property means you have power over other people, that's all.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

link

When people acquire property, they've something to gain it, therefore they have rights to that property, as they have a claim to that property. It sounds (and I'm sorry if I'm misconstruing your argument) that you don't believe people have rights, but that they have privileges. If people only have privileges, that means that the government can take away people's privileges at a whim, which would mean that the government could arbitrarily kill people (non criminals for the sake of the argument), as people would only have privileges to live. Is this a world you really want to live in? People have rights, and people have rights to property. I can see arguments for why those rights may not be unconditionally inviolable (such as taxation and the death penalty), but I believe people have rights.

Those rich people (excepting criminals) have somehow done something to acquire that money, and have claims to that money. They deserve to keep it, and I don't think letting them keep most of that money is a privilege that we grant them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies